Your First Miniature.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first Mini was purchased in February 1995- Grays Smoke Signal. I had divorced and moved off the ranch- didnt know one darned thing about Minis and had only seen them in person one time. I called on an ad I had seen in the paper out of curiosity, no intention to buy. Well, a few days later he was at my home. I taught him to drive and he had patience with me. His kindness and wonderful people loving attitude just captured my heart completely.

He did well in the show ring, was an original member of the drill team here when it started in the late 90's for two and a half years and we covered a million miles together just enjoying several miles of driving a day. He is my heart horse and will be turning 22 this next spring.

He is a son of Shadow Oaks Cock Robin by Chianti. Here he is at a few years old and then again at 18- being brought into the show ring again after about 8 years out of it.

Bob from video.jpg

BobHarnessShow408.jpg

Loved reading everyone's stories and seeing all of your first horses.

We bought our first Miniature back in the summer of 2000, when we were still raising AQHA horses. On the hunt for a nice, well broke gelding, a friend told us about a horse owned by one of the local horsetraders, so we went to have a look. The gelding didn't turn out to be what we were in the market for, but there among all those horses, was a small miniature mare. She was a four year old, dark liver chestnut with a blaze, and one blue eye/one brown eye. Obviously at the time, purchasing a Miniature hadn't even crossed my mind, but there was just something about her
default_wub.png
"Rose", has been here for eleven years now.

8-27-09%20069.jpg
8-28-09%20020.jpg

After we purchased her, you all know how the saying goes, you can't have just one
default_rolleyes.gif
so now we are up to twenty one AMHA/AMHR miniatures, with several highly anticipated foals on the way for 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the late 1980's, I helped a woman show one of her minis in a charity horse show and said to my husband (warned him, is more like it!) "One day, I'm going to have a mini." I was very much into the hunter-jumper world and with finances such as they were, could not afford another mouth to feed.

Fast forward to two years ago, we went to our local county fair and watched my 7 year old nephew showing his first mini, Leo. I told my sister-in-law that I'd really like to own a mini someday. One thing led to another, and they found me my first mini, AMHR registered S&DMs Sally.

To be honest, she looked a little rough when we first got her and had some trust issues.

147.jpg

Over the past two years, she has transformed into a loving horse, a favorite of our 4-H kids to show, almost always in the ribbons in local shows and was even a grand champion halter horse this year at the county fair. And she's an awesome driving horse - my nephew took her to a first place finish in open driving this year at the fair! We were so proud of them both!

Here she is today, a lovely mare in glowing good health!

Katie_Sally05-21-11_4.jpg

My sister-in-law and I have many minis between us now - including several that we're crazy about - but Sally still holds a special place in my heart!

We bought our first Miniature back in the summer of 2000, when we were still raising AQHA horses. On the hunt for a nice, well broke gelding, a friend told us about a horse owned by one of the local horsetraders, so we went to have a look. The gelding didn't turn out to be what we were in the market for, but there among all those horses, was a small miniature mare. She was a four year old, dark liver chestnut with a blaze, and one blue eye/one brown eye. Obviously at the time, purchasing a Miniature hadn't even crossed my mind, but there was just something about her
default_wub.png

8-27-09%20069.jpg
8-28-09%20020.jpg

After we purchased her, you all know how the saying goes, you can't have just one
default_rolleyes.gif
so now we are up to twenty one AMHA/AMHR miniatures, with several highly anticipated foals on the way for 2012.
She is stunning. I'd love one like her in my pasture.

I got my first mini in 1975 (I think). Someone I knew asked me if I wanted a "pony". Me being the sucker I am said yes. Everyone loved Dandy. The people that owned the barn where I kept my riding horses allowed me a stall and paddock for him for free because I let their Granddaughter to lead him around when she got tired of her big horse. That little guy was worth his weight in gold when it came to kids.

default_wub.png

8-27-09%20069.jpg
8-28-09%20020.jpg

default_rolleyes.gif
She is a beauty and I love Liver Chestnuts!
default_wub.png

Thank you Chanda and Shari for your compliments on Rose. I'm not too fond of chestnuts, but she is definatly the exception
default_smile.png

My first miniature was "Cozy Corners Just Gone Bananas" aka Banana a 31.5" 1997 Silver dapple pinto gelding. Art bought him for me in 2003 so I could get brave driving as we took driving lessons and my new trail horse a spotted saddlebred was trained to drive. Got a meadowbrook full size cart and Art loved it I was too scared even though I trusted him riding as a trailhorse.

Anyway as the story so often goes we just fell in love with minis and the full size are gone now.

Here is Banana we still have him and really enjoy the geldings. He was also my first show horse and did fairly well (even though I didn't know much of anything about conditioning) in rated shows back then. He was also very experienced at so many things before we got him, so that helped me as a newbee at driving and halter as he knew more of what to do than I did.

HPIM0222.jpg

HPIM0021.jpg

HPIM2564.jpg

I fell in love with Miniature Horses back in 2002 when I went to a horse show at Old Bell Farm when 2 people asked me to hold their horses, both stallions. I fell in love with their temperament, and their beauty. I had a 15.2 palomino mare back then and she was with me until I had to put her down at 36 years young.So I went looking for a driving mini because I had seen them pulling their little carts at the show I went to, I saw an ad in the local weekly paper advertising a mini broke to drive so I went to have a look, the woman who had him said she had only bought him 6 weeks ago and she hadn't even had time to change the papers on him. So I called her after viewing him and said I wanted to buy him and she said the kids were giving her a hard time over selling him so I said would you like a few days to think about it, she said yes so I said would you give me first refusal and she said yes. So I hung up the phone but she didn't call me back so I waited a few days and called her back again, she said she had decided to sell him so I went right over and bought him, he is the horse in my avatar. He is only 32.5" and is called Munchie aka DeBoMonts Macho(he was bred in Quebec). I now have 7 miniatures and they all hold a special place in my affections but Munchie is special, he was the first.

In 2003 I rescued a grade mini sized pony stallion. The day after he arrived home he was gelded. He was 5 years old, barely halter broke and a huge monster. He would drag me all over(small size doesn't mean they are not strong). The vet told me to train him to drive which I did. I ended up registering him with WCMHR. Here is Sanka:

acaqshowlaurie.jpg

At the time I had arabians and poor Sanka was alone. In 2004 I offered to trade a 2004 arabian filly for a small pony. A lady from New Brunswick e-mailed me and had a nice little pinto mare registered AMHR mare. We ended up trading. When Des arrived I was in love. Her registered name was E & J's Precious By Design. After that I looked online and bought a yearling colt, Coyote Winds Knockout, as well as a weanling filly, Risquefishers Winter Sky. The mini bug had hit I was hooked. Here are Des(silver dapple pinto), Cody(bay pinto) and Sky(brownish filly who later turned into a appy).
SkyDesCody.jpg
, I sold Des a few years later to a family who still have her to this day. Sadly Cody died at age 4. I still have Sky. Well I had sold most of my arabians, only had 2 left, Phancy and Angel. I ended up buying another mini mare named Lanesfield Karli,
ce8d8d63.jpg

Then I traded the arabian mare, Angel for 2 mini mares and a shetland mare. One mare still had a filly at side which I was offered for a very good price so ended up buying her as well. I ended up selling the shetland and the filly. The 2 mares I still own, Sharptails Peanut Butter and Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy and the filly, now a mare I recently bought back, Shauneys Halluva Lucky Gal. Photos enclosed of those 2 mares, the filly and the shetland.

12461eb2.jpg

15f3f28c.jpg

passionbig1.jpg

lucy2.jpg

in 2006 Karli, Des and Peanut foaled. Des and Karli had colts which I sold and Peanut had a filly whom I kept and still own, Unquestionably Cute Jypsy Rose SPH, . Now I am up to 20 minis(1 is WCMHR, and 3 are ASPC/AMHR) as well as a ASPC only colt and 2 arabians. They are like potato chips you cannot just have one.
default_biggrin.png

This will be long, my apologies in advance, but to tell you the story of them, it can't be helped. lol

I grew up very hard, the only bright spot in my childhood at all was my grandfather, and he protected me from things that no child should ever have to go thru. I remember I'd go and spend time with him, and he'd always be out with the horses, he broke all of the horses in the town we lilved in, if a horse needed to be broke, it was him to be the one to do it. He would let me sit on the fence and watch but never get in with them, he was afraid I'd get hurt. When I was about 13, I was separated from him, and I didn't see him again until I was married and had my second child and finally had found him again, he was in a hospital very near me, literally on his death bed. I went to see him and we talked about the horses, and how very much we had missed in each others lives. I remember telling him how very much I wanted to have my own horses one day and I would, and I'll never forget the look in his eyes or what he said.... He said "Tam, you have a gift, you always have had, you should follow that and do it, it will help you more than anything ever will", he was such a kind and gentle soul in my life and I vowed I was going to follow that, if nothing else, to have HIM near me. Crazy I know, I was 22, what did I know?

Skip to about 10 years ago, we moved into this very small subdivision and there was my 1 acre lot and one right next to me, I couldn't get both at the time, but I made darn sure no one bought that lot before I could afford it. If I seen someone looking at it, I'd go and tell them that this lot wouldn't be a good lot to live on, it was too wet and stayed that way. Thankfully, fates stepped in and no one bought it. Last year I finally got in a place to buy it, but I didn't know what I was going to do with it, I just knew I didn't want anyone moving in on top of me. But I really couldn't validate buying it, what on earth was I going to do with it, let it sit there? I had no clue, I just knew no one was buying it but me.

Last November 2010, my husband decided I was going to have my dream, but we both knew I couldn't put a big horse there. We had been seeing mini horses around, but never had been less than 100 yards from them, but they looked so pretty, just like the big ones, only a very small scale. My husband went on a rampage trying to find me a mini horse for Christmas... I didn't know this at the time, I only found out this later. I was also on the hunt, I had talked to him and he said it would be the perfect thing for this lot, and for me. He started sending me pics of mini horses and I was about to go mad, I didn't have the money at the time to even consider this because when I looked into them many many years before, the cost was amazingly high, and I didn't think about them again.

Here we go, he sends me THIS pic:

bluejeans1.jpg

I immediately just fell for her, not sure why really, I had seen so very many of them, but this one just struck me and I knew I had to have her. I had already emailed the lady and was in talks with her when out of the blue, she emailed me back one day and said she was sold. I was absolutely crushed!!! This lady and I got to be good friends thru emails back and forth and she started to feel bad about having sold her, and while I was sitting here talking to her one night via emails, she had sent me pics of her other minis she had for sale, but I couldn't get my head away from this one. My husband walks into the room, pulls my chair away from the computer, which REALLY irritated me...... and he stood me up on my feet, I had ap ic of her on my screen. He pointed at her and he said, "Do you like that horse?" and I was so mad, I thought he was just torturing me..... I told him of course I did, but sadly she had sold and was off the table.

This man handed me a receipt he'd had in his wallet for TWO weeks...... TWO WEEKS! It was a receipt for this baby, who is now known as Peebie. I started to cry and I hit him and hugged him at the same time. BUT then panic set in.... really really hard, what on earth was I going to do now, I had nowhere to keep her, no pen, no nothing. I asked what did he have in mind for that one, you oh so brilliant soul you... he just looked me in my face and he says "We'll put her in with Bo" (this is my 10 yr old Boxer. More panic, more panic!!!!

In all of our talks, the lady never mentioned to me about this one time, but after I told her, she started to tell me about Peebie (who incidentally is named for my grandfather, his initials were P.B.) and she told me what a rough life this baby had had, she was beaten, abused, neglected.... all of the things I had had in MY childhood, almost to the letter. She was very sick and needed more time than this lady could give her as her health was bad. But that Peebie would most likely need a friend, they don't do well alone...... so in comes THIS ONE!

horses.jpg

The Pinto in this pic, that is Sky. She was, I was told, a good mom and would look after Peebie, so I bought her too...... MORE PANIC! I still had the same problem, what was I going to do with them.

I go and I talk to the lady about this lot beside me that I had been looking at for 10+ years. She, for some reason, broke and told me she'd sell me the lot on payments and I could start putting the pen up on it and we could do the paperwork after Christmas. More of fate stepping in to help me out.

Finally a week before Christmas, I get to go and meet Peebie and Sky... I was like a little kid, I was so excited. We get there and we are getting to know Peebie and Sky and we keep hearing this ruckus in the back part of the pen, I knew the sound of horse stomping, and it kept going on, the grumbling throat noises, the loud whinnies... it was getting more and more of my attention. I finally looked around for the noise and this lady tells me she's never seen this horse do this before. She had her tied up in the back because she'd been bullying others, but she wasn't shutting up. We left.. but my husband kept talking about this other horse and how strangely she was acting.

Cut to time to bring them home.... we go with TWO of everything, halters, leads and so on to get them here. We get there with trailer in tow and we got Peebie in the trailer.... and again, the ruckus started up again. Sky goes in and we're talking.... this noise is getting more and more intense. The lady told me that she didn't understand why she was doing that, she's never like that. She tells me she is for sale too and she seems to like me.. but I had no more money in hand, so that wasn't an option. She told me to take her and I said no, I didn't know that I could handle 3 or afford them.

tori.jpg

This is the culprit of all of the ruckus. Meet Tori, she somehow landed in the trailer with Peebie and Sky, with the help of the girl that took me to get them, my daughters, who were not saving me for a minute, and the girl that owned her. They put her on a lead and brought her over to me and she immediately shut up and waddled up so close to my side that I thought she was going to knock me off my feet, she was going with me and she'd made up her mind about it. She is the leader of her little herd and she makes NO bones about it.

So we went from nothing to having THREE horses....... bare lot, nothing on it at all. In the week we were waiting to go and get them, we bought the lot, put up a fence big enough to house them, a run in shelter for them and had everything needed to bring them home. My 4 kids and my husband and son in law spent a solid week in the very bitter cold and snow to get them here for me.

So there we have it.... my first turned into 3..... and I have the best thing that's ever happened to me personally, outside kids and husband of course... they are so good for me and to me and I couldn't be happier or more in love with any other living thing in my world. What makes them more special is the coming together of my whole family to help with this, the love and care they put into making my christmas so special for 2010.

I got my first mini several years ago. I used to show and raise QHs until my prized stallion was killed by another persons' rank stallion. . .broke my heart and I sold all the QHs. Then about 10 years later I saw my first mini at a show in Adheville, NC and was instantly in love.

I started looking around at horses in NC and came across Cadle Creek Stormy Buckeroo "Pepper" (Buckaroo g-daughter)at the Mt Airy sale 2007. She was a black, turning gray 18 mo yearling. Paid $800 for her and she started the "mini horse" potato chip addiction. She is now 5 years old and will be breed for the first time this spring to my 2x Reserve National Champion Double Ks Scottie Too Hottie (in the avatar)

I love this mare so much and she now has 5 mare "herd mates". So, now I have a total of 7 in my small herd. Oh, forgot to mention the new weanling stallion ASPC/AMHR that I got at Nationals, Wa-Full Snip's Little Tex. . .I have 8
default_smile.png

Here are pics when I got her and now. . .she got better every year.

FillyLying.jpg

pepper5-22web.jpg

Latest posts

Back