Your First Miniature.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Growing up, I was always told that everything under 14hh was a "pony" - never did we know that there were actual different breeds and that ponies were these rotten little equines that bit, kicked, reared and were downright nasty and only a few were actually "good" and worth anything at all. Around my area you could say pony and people would cringe - so when I first saw some Miniature Horse foals in person at the local county fair....I was amazed at how tiny they were and looked so much like a riding horse but shrunk down to miniature scale. I was 15 years old at the time and had never laid a hand on a "pony" much less a Miniature so when I saw the owner walking into the pen to clean the pen, feed and water them I asked if I could come in to meet them, and that I had never seen anything like them.

There were 6 so called "weanlings" in the pen but there was one that was half the size of the others - very very tiny and he stood out to me as he was standing in the corner alone not being allowed to eat from the bullying others around the feed trough. He was a bright bay with a cute half moon on his rump and I instantly fell in love. It was late October and I had noticed that he had completely body clipped all the way down to the skin and so were the others - they were all shivering but he said that clipping them to get all the baby hair off was necessary so they didn't swallow the shedding hair when grooming each other and I was told that he was 7 months old like the others and would remain very small as his sire was tiny and that he was AMHR registered, but at the time papers didn't matter to me as growing up we had always had grade riding horses that had shown just fine in open shows so I wasn't worried about it at the time, but was happy to have them anyways. I was told he was $800 so after some "birthday wishing" with my father, we arranged a payment plan and had him delivered the next week.

I had noticed that he wasn't eating grain like he should be (I had owned and worked with weanling riding horses for years prior) so I called the vet out. He did a very brief examination on him and promptly told me that there was no way that Sampson was 7 months old - he barely had any teeth! I was shocked to find out that I had been lied to, but there was no way I was sending him back, as I had already fallen in love with him. We had made a nice enclosed stall for him with deep bedded hay and mush feedings four times daily and bottled replacement milk twice per day and he grew like a weed.

Six years later and he is still my favorite little man and always will be - he's the one that I am so deeply attached to and is my main herd sire, and he has sired 100% pinto foals so I believe him to be homozygous for tobiano thus far, hopefully will be getting him tested soon when I send off for my other colt. So far he has sired a 2010 sorrel 50/50 colored tobiano blue eyed filly and two 2011 foals, a sorrel minimal tobiano with chrome colt and a bay 50/50 colored tobiano clue eyed filly. He is expecting two foals from my two mature mares, both of which have been reserved in utero for a friend of a lady who bought Sampsons sorrel tobiano colt from this year.

If I had never met Sampson, I never would have fallen in love with the gentle nature and loving disposition of the Miniature breed. We all have one that started the addiction so please share your story and a picture of the one who started it all for you. The saying that they are just like potatoe chips, you can't have one - is exactly right!

15344_1277929509546_1269258589_30851659_6907313_n.jpg

In 2009, I wanted to get back into riding Saddleseat, so I bought a pinto Saddlebred show gelding. We (my son Rob - then 14) and I went to a Pinto show in Minnesota with the saddlebred, and Rob saw them jumping minis. He was bitten. He'd just lost his draft driving mare the winter before, and hadn't really shown any interest in a horse since then, so when he showed interest in the minis, I immediately decided we would get him one. The SD Horse Sale barn in Corsica, SD was having their annual mini sale a couple weeks later, so off we went. We bought what I thought would be a good "starter" horse, a 7 year old mare who had been shown in halter, and then used as a broodmare. Rob also fell in love with (and so did I) a 2 year old mare that had been exposed. She was registered (and looked) brown, and was soooo friendly we couldn't believe it, and calm, quiet, just a really nice mare. We got her for only $200.00 at the auction. (Got the older mare for $450). We took them home, and had the 2 year old aborted (didn't want a foal, especially not from a 2 year old).

The "brown" mare got the barn name J Jay, the other's name was Katie. Katie was ok, but she was unfriendly. J Jay though, was wonderful! Whatever Rob asked, she would do. And her attitude was fantastic! When we clipped her in the spring, we found a beautiful silver dapple pinto! Katie ended up being sold, and we've since bought 4 others, but J Jay is still here and is by far the favorite horse for both Rob and I. She won more blue ribbons and stakes wins this year than I ever could have dreamed of, and is top 10 in AMHR all stars in, I think, 10 classes. She lives for Rob - she will work and do things for him that I cannot believe. She has gotten my son back interested in horses, and we travel to horse shows all summer together now - which is so special for me that I get to spend time doing something we both love with my now 16 year old son!

All in all, J Jay was and is the perfect mini for us, she led us into the world of miniature showing, brought back my son's love of horses, and helped cement a great relationship between he and I as we move into the difficult teen years. She is definately a "heart horse" for both of us. I haven't ever figured out how to post pics on here, but you can see her at www.4railranch.com under the D&W Amy's Tiffany page (that is her AMHR registered name).

Last edited by a moderator:
My family had always had riding horses, then when I cam along and was big enough to handle my own horse, my parents bought me a welsh cross (still own
default_wub.png
) So when I was young me and my mom would go riding together. Then in 2005, my mother had to have her paint horse put to sleep. So we were left with my pony, whom i had pretty much grown out of. Our choice was to sell him, as if we kept him he'd be lonely. I didn't want to sell my first pony. So we put the issue to rest for a few days. Little did we know my dad had contacted a breeder we had met one day getting hay. He asked if she had any minis for sale. She had a 5month old colt. So he bought him for my mom. Funny thing is 5months before this they had stopped in when coming back from getting hay, and the breeder said she had a new born foal and they were welcome to come and see him. So they did. Turned out to be our little guy. So in a way it was kinda meant to be
default_smile.png
So we brought "Josh" home. We went through heck and back with this guy. He was the biggest tyrant EVER. He drove us crazy. FINALLY we got him gelded and he started to calm down. Even though he is gelded he still acts like his old self sometimes.

Then we went through 3 riding horses after that before we bought our other two miniatures in 2010. Since then we have gotten into showing and have done very well. Though Josh is just our pasture pet, he sometimes comes to the shows with us and does trail, jumping and hunter. He might not be the pretty arabian type but we love him
default_wub.png

2jd5s1t.jpg
b9fv2x.jpg
34sey2p.jpg

jfzy89.jpg

I didn't grow up with horses. I was horse crazy, but didn't own one until late in my 20's. Hubby bought me a riding horse just after the birth of our son. I liked him, but wasn't comfortable with the kids around him. Like TTM, my experience with ponies was they were miserable little equines and you could go to the local auction and get one for $50 bucks.

Looking through a "Horse Illustrated" one day I saw an ad for "miniature horses." What??? Lazy S Acres, Bud and Shirley Soat, and they were in Michigan! I bought my first mini, a black weanling colt Soat's Lil Ink Spot. He was a cute little guy, and the start of a life long obsession!

In November 1981, my grandparents drove through the eastern US for their 25th wedding anniversary and came home with three Miniature Horses.

Here's me and my Grandad, almost exactly 30 years ago!

1981.jpg

The light coloured colt is Sooner States Lil Champ, the bald faced filly is Sooner States Twinkles, and the filly I'm sitting on is Martin's Bunny, who produced 11 excellent foals for us before we lost her far before her time in 1997. We still have many horses that carry Bunny's bloodlines. <3

I won't go into all the details, as I have so many other times here, but this is my abridged version of our first horse...miniature or otherwise.
laugh.gif

It all started in February '09 when my husband discovered Craigs List. He came across this photo in an ad in the farm and garden section:

izzy_foal_2008.jpg

When he first showed it to me, I was smitten but never gave it much thought because there was NO WAY I'd ever have a horse. Any horse....it just wasn't something that my husband would ever go for. He didn't like horses!

Yet, he kept finding the ad and kept showing it to me. This went on for a month. Finally, I just flat out asked him WHY he was showing me this when there was no purpose to it? That led to a lengthy discussion of just what it would take for us to bring this little girl home. Imagine my surprise when he made it clear that he was more than ready and willing to do this.

Thus started our incredible journey into a world I didn't know existed let alone ever thought I'd be a part of! We named her Izzy (Short Stuff' Sunshine's Isabella). This is what she looked like when we brought her home:

IMG_0733edited-1.jpg

We weren't sure if we had really brought home a horse or a yak! LOL!

But later that summer, we found this lovely young lady under all that hair:

IMG_1546Izzy4x6-1.jpg

Because of this sweet little girl, we are now blessed with 6 miniature "children". I couldn't be happier.

Our first miniature is Eclipse, who we got as a 3mos old colt back in 1999. Still have him. We had him gelded and trained to drive. He may not be as fancy as some of our other horses, but we love him so much and he's a great and FUN little guy
default_wub.png

Eclipse%20061808%20166%20GELDINGS.jpg
Eclipse%20061808%20158%20GELDINGS.jpg

My first mini was after 2 crazy "pony" accidents, I named him Prince because the people we bought him from had paints, so since the paint stallion was named King, I called my mini Prince. He was used for breeding, but never had a foal. My grandparents bought him for me when I was 6, I got to visit him when he was in cart training and everything. One of my best friends, and omg did I love running around on him.
default_smile.png
default_wub.png
My parents sold him after I was too big to ride, but the lady callled because she saw all my minis by the road and offered Prince back a few months ago.

30 years old, and he's still full of tude!

prince2.jpg

Him and his gf. The mare that is with him is in her 20's. He enjoys the ladies so he'll be the old lady keepers.

princeandoldlady.jpg

We got our first mini, "Cowboy" from Sawmill River Farm in January 2004 as a companion for our big horse Target (in adjoining area). I had owned horses for years and knew that we wanted a Pinto so we could show at the New England Pinto shows. SRF wasn't exactly known for their pintos, but did have one available and we decided to take a look (and also check out their lovely farm). Cowboy was a 2 year old stallion, and we could tell he would be a challenge even after gelding. But we liked his conformation (that we could see through the fur!) and his personality and felt up to the challenge. They had him gelded for us, we brought him home and have never looked back! He was (and still can be) a challenge, but has been shown very successfully to his PtHA Championship. Plus, he constantly amuses us!!

While discussing details, Roger asked how many minis we thought we would end up with. My husband answered "Oh, maybe 6", dropping my jaw almost to the floor. We are up to 10 now.

SRF Masters Touch, aka Cowboy

090919-C-011.jpg

We got our first mini as a companion for my kids' pony. We'd been shopping for a riding horse for many months and were burned out. The last two two big horses we had liked had bad PPEs and since our pony was lonely we went ahead and got a cute mini we found on CL. She was an older mare, mostly a pet. I was going to train her to drive. Over time we discovered it was very hard to teach an older, reactive mare new tricks. Also, I didn't know all her history or if she had issues with driving in the past. She is a very nice mare but driving was not her thing. I was shopping for an experienced driving pony (not a mini) at that point, but saw a driving mini on CL and went to see him.

Well, I fell in love with a teeny tiny horse, much smaller and older than I had any intention of buying. He was barely 29 inches tall. But he has turned out to be the best horse- very loving, kind, fun and we have had a ball driving and showing him. And now I am hooked on minis. We only have one right now, but I am hoping to have a second one again.

This was my sweet Misty, Silver Mist from the Just bloodlines. She was the best... I was fortunate enough to have her son and daughter as well. When she was 19 she developed Cushings/IR and I was able to keep her happy and comfortable until she was 21. Some of you probably still remember her from the forum:

Liz N.

mistydap.jpg

My first mini was Juan. A 50 % falabella stallion 14yrs old. He has his forever home and is my heart horse. He is so gentle and just a joy to be around. When I got him my then 2yr old grandson could lead him around, pick all four feet up, what ever he wanted. Juan is always very quiet and gentle with him. Having such a fantastic experience with him I have increased my herd. I'm sure if I had not had such a gentle one to start with I wouldn't have added. Right now I have 4 with 4 more on the way.
default_wub.png
Love my Juan
default_wub.png
:wub I can't wait for the new ones to get here. I know they are going to be just as wonderful.

6408353573_7fa7e15cf5_m.jpg

6408352129_c5293f8dca_m.jpg

I have grown up with big horses my entire life, but ever since I started showing my neighbors minis I became hooked. My parents, however, would not let me get one. I was determined, so I started working with the Hooved Animal Rescue in my state. A main foster home for the minis turned out to be less than a mile away from me! It was there that I met and fell in love with Lulu, a then 4 year old sorrel mini mare with one eye. No one could handle her without her being sedated and she was well on her way to being euthanized due to her being so wild and unadoptable. Hearing this I became even more determined and went into the paddock that she was in. I spent over two hours in there, surrounded by some very friendly minis and donkeys looking for treats, trying to get close to her. Finally, crouched down to her level, holding out my hand, I was able to get near her. Her nose touched my hand for a brief second and I felt something between us. The next day I came over and got her into a stall. I spent several hours in there with her, grooming her and telling her how beautiful and special she was, and that she didn't ever have to be starved or afraid again. As I got to her mane, which is on her blind side, she began to yawn and relax. It was there that we 'clicked'. On the third day I walked out to her paddock and crouched down, holding out my hand, and called her name. Lulu was a good 20 yards from me with the other horses. When she saw me she willingly left the other horses and came right up to me, and she hasn't turned back since. On April 10, 2009, she finally became mine. Lulu and I have formed a bond like no other one that I have had with a horse. She put her faith in me. No one thought that the little one eyed mare would ever come this far, but now she jumps, drives, goes in parades, horse expos, visits churches, and does so much more. As our three year anniversary draws closer, I still find all of this unbelievable. Lulu is the reason why I am positive that I will always own minis and rescue horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ater the loss of my first horse, an arab riding gelding, I was not ready or in the position to own another.

However going through High School, surrounded by bullies and abusive friends I sunk into depression and the cure suggested was "what about those minis?"

I'd seen minis before on display at a farmers market so I was interested and did some digging.

Ended out bringing home a registered weanling named Monty:

Monty Clipped.jpg

Monty needed a friend so along came Baringa:

vmc10_sat_01-05_034.jpg

Sadly Monty colicked a lot as a youngster and died during one of the attacks. The vets best guess was that somthing was wrong with his digestive system.

Baringa was followed by a performance horse, Drifter and another gelding joined them named Apollo.

And then I met my mentors who turned out to be the people who were displaying minis at that market so long ago and they sold me Pallidon:

pallidonshow.jpg

I count all three as my first as without these three boys I wouldn't be where I am now
default_wub.png

Maggie was my first mini and I still have her after all these years, she is such a wonderful horse!
default_wub.png
My little heart.

maggiemesitting.jpg

maggietrotinginpinkprettysmaller.jpg

Not long after I owned my first mini in '97 my Arabian died from a bout of colic. For awhile my heart was broken and I did not know if I wanted to pursue more equestrian activities. In time I decided to seriously become involved in minis. I desired a herd of horses without needing as much acreage and a little less work and expense than the big guys. My first mini was a bay pinto
default_laugh.png
. One of the nicest moving minis I have seen. He was trained to drive and was pretty much afraid of nothing. He nickered constantly and was just such a love. I do not know if he is still around, but I hope that he is doing well! I owned him for 6 years.

1checkers16yr.jpg

I'm loving these stories
wub.gif
Keep 'em coming!!
aktion033.gif

My story started out with.... 33 years ago my family and I visited my Uncle and Aunt in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. My uncle knowing he had a horse crazy niece took me to a farm an hour away from his house and showed me this amazing and huge herd of Miniature horses. It was the first time I had ever laid eyes on these beautiful little horses. I had a Quarter Horse at home that I loved but knew someday I would have a Miniature of my own too.

A few years later after that first meeting in S.C. the lady that I boarded with asked me if I wanted to go to her childhood friends home. She shows and breeds Miniature Horses. This wonderful ladies name is Sandy Wildkatch (Cedar Croft Miniature Horses). Some of you in Illinois may know her. This fueled my fire. In 1992 I finally got my first. I bought him the day after he was born and trained him to drive later in his three year old year. What a blast. In 1995, I bought his sister who I still have (in my avatar). This year I bought my third and have had so much fun showing him this summer. I see more on my horizon.
default_smile.png

The first one was this little mare in 1975

rickie.jpg

The second was a little stallion that we bought in 1978. We currently have 3 mares, a gelding, a stallion, a filly, and a colt.

default_saludando.gif
my first mini was little beau got him in 2004 he was great used to take him to nursing homes but he died from a twisted intestine...so i allways said my first mini foal i breed would be called beau and i did my first born was a colt and his name is beau beau
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back