Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I ground drove Billy he did so well. Today we did not have as good success. He had little tantrums for the first 20 minutes. Stopped to visit a neighbor and he would not stand still, but rudely pushed and shoved me and turned his rear to the neighbor. I was not worried, as he never kicks, but it was rude.
So one step back! But we will persevere.

Attachments

• billy ground driving.jpg
    billy ground driving.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 0
Today I put the Cavella glitter boots on Dapper Dan and we went for a nice drive. The weather has been ideal the last few days and I want to be out to take advantage of it!
Oddly, the boots have a squeak. Stopped once to check and make sure they were fastened correctly and all seemed well. When I removed them, everything looked good.

Attachments

• dd glitter boots.jpg
    dd glitter boots.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 0
I drove Breezy for the very first time yesterday! He did AMAZING! Didn’t even care that the cart was hitched and I was riding in it LOL. Only went around once, didn’t want to over do it, wanted to end on a good note and I wanted to give him something to think about. Today we will go a little farther and maybe get CRAZY and break out into a trot! 🤣

Here is the video from our first drive:

40 minutes driving Billy in the sulky!! My sister came out and led Dapper Dan with us. I ground drove him a little first. He was comfortable with the sulky on him. Ground drove him in the sulky for a few minutes then got on. The weight took him aback for a moment and his ears were going big time, but he walked on. The first time I asked for whoa, and he started again he adjusted for the weight, but after that he never paused.
I asked him to trot several times and just a finger wiggle and the command and he trotted! He came down to a walk nicely
I know he did so well because he was with Dapper Dan, but I was so pleased he seemed to remember his earlier driving life. We went over 2 miles on pavement, dirt, gravel. No traffic passed us, however, but I think he would have been fine with that. We did see a coyote, but it took off in a different direction.
I think we are off to a good start!

Attachments

• billy driving3.jpg
    billy driving3.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 0
  • billy driving 2.jpg
    billy driving 2.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Squeeky boots! Like those toddler shoes that squeek.

Sounds luke Billy is coming along. The days that are setbacks make the good days that much better!

Not driving related but Pistol is coming back tomorrow. His new owner had a situation and... Long story but I felt he needs to come back to me rather than to a sale. So...I need to get rid of 3-4 minis but got a 7th one instead.

I decided to work with Billy by myself today. I intend to work with him harnessing untied so we did that this morning. He was a little impatient but did not mind the shafts at all. We ground drove out the gate, around the house, and the antique tractor in the front with a scary scarecrow and bales of hay. He did investigate, and found the hay was okay. Then I went out on the road with him, away from home. He tried to have some tantrums for about .2 mile, then settled down pretty well. Then he started again about .3. He settled down again and I turned for home at .4 I got into the sulky, but there were some nearby horses that got him excited, so I got out and ground drove again. Almost home, he was steady so I got in again. We drove across a hay field to check out something, then back across the field toward home. He went as steady as a rock. Up the ditch embankment then back home like an old pro.
My toes didn't curl at all. He is a good boy, I think. His owner said he was "particular about his harness", but I'm not sure what that means.

I hitched Breezy up to the bike today for the first time. He did great! Such a little SPEED DEMON! WOW! 😍😍 He definitely has more go than whoa! 🥳

5DCB1417-273D-4CEC-82B5-CC78BFFE715F.jpeg

That reminds me… I use MapMyWalk to track miles and time. I don’t know what they have done to that app but I am no longer liking it. I keep forgetting to find a new app until I go to drive the horses LOL What app do y’all like to use?

What a lovely day! We went to Cobb Park first to check things out. It looks like a real nice park, but very secluded, not many people, lots of beautiful trees and thick woods. I didn’t feel very safe there by myself so we ended up at Foster Park. Breezy was a champ! He was a little nervous about some construction going on but we took our time and made our way through it. He hesitated at a bridge as well and looked towards me for guidance. Overall we had a wonderful time and Breezy had a great experience ground driving at the park.
EE4C5D27-8C55-4074-A86B-7601C3393B71.jpeg

I use MapMyWalk also. What changed that you don't like it?
At the end of my walk, I hit pause, then hold it down, then save. Once I hit save it acts goofy. I try tapping “save workout“ and nothing. So then I try holding down ”save workout” and nothing. I have a hard time getting off the last screen 🤪🤷🏻‍♀️

What a lovely day! We went to Cobb Park first to check things out. It looks like a real nice park, but very secluded, not many people, lots of beautiful trees and thick woods. I didn’t feel very safe there by myself so we ended up at Foster Park. Breezy was a champ! He was a little nervous about some construction going on but we took our time and made our way through it. He hesitated at a bridge as well and looked towards me for guidance. Overall we had a wonderful time and Breezy had a great experience ground driving at the park.
View attachment 48323

At the end of my walk, I hit pause, then hold it down, then save. Once I hit save it acts goofy. I try tapping “save workout“ and nothing. So then I try holding down ”save workout” and nothing. I have a hard time getting off the last screen 🤪🤷🏻‍♀️
I used the app this morning and no issues for me. Maybe try re setting it?? I google problems when I don't know to fix it. 🤣

My sister came out with Jackie O and we drove over 3 miles. I ground drove him for about 15 minutes first. Billy did great. He has a prancy trot that is 2 mph, about the pace of me walking slowly. But I let him go for a little while and clocked almost 9 mph. He came down to a walk nicely. He seemed very relaxed. He was barely sweaty, even with all the fur.

Attachments

• bill jack driving.jpg
    bill jack driving.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 0
  • billy and jackie.jpg
    billy and jackie.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 0
I used the app this morning and no issues for me. Maybe try re setting it?? I google problems when I don't know to fix it. 🤣
Ok, so I have deleted MapMyWalk and downloaded Equilab. Its focus is horses and is pretty cool so far. I was able to enter all my horses in the app along with their picture, birth dates and any other info I choose 😁 if you are out alone the app can track you and if there is no movement in 5 minutes it can send an alert to someone you choose. That is AWESOME! Especially if you drive or ride alone. I’ll test it out tomorrow when I drive and report back.

Oh yeah, I had a great little drive with Breezy today 😍

When I drive Breezy he really does get my heart beating! He likes to go!! And boy do we go fast for such a tiny little pony. It is a good thing he is well trained and listens to my instructions. He tries to please me and looks to me as his leader. He is such a good boy, oh my heart! ♥️♥️

1E74CEDE-8206-4F1E-ADBD-1ECA6DBC1FC0.jpeg

We are only walking and trotting for now although sometimes he will bust into a canter, but I bring him back down. I won’t start cantering him until next spring after he turns 3 years old. Our sessions are very short too, only 20-30 minutes at a time.

When I drive Breezy he really does get my heart beating! He likes to go!! And boy do we go fast for such a tiny little pony. It is a good thing he is well trained and listens to my instructions. He tries to please me and looks to me as his leader. He is such a good boy, oh my heart! ♥️♥️

View attachment 48693

We are only walking and trotting for now although sometimes he will bust into a canter, but I bring him back down. I won’t start cantering him until next spring after he turns 3 years old. Our sessions are very short too, only 20-30 minutes at a time.
Love that feeling. Makes me want to really let billy go, but i dont know him well enough yet

Billy's open bridle did not have a throat latch as the adjustment on the bridle brought the head piece too close to his ears. Yesterday I took the bridle to a leather repair place; he is going to move the two buckles on the side piece down one inch. I think the head piece will fit perfectly then. The shop is an hour away, so not sure when I will be able to go back and pick it up. I loved going in there; it is an fabulous shop. I'd love to work there and learn how to sew and finish leather.

Billy's open bridle did not have a throat latch as the adjustment on the bridle brought the head piece too close to his ears. Yesterday I took the bridle to a leather repair place; he is going to move the two buckles on the side piece down one inch. I think the head piece will fit perfectly then. The shop is an hour away, so not sure when I will be able to go back and pick it up. I loved going in there; it is an fabulous shop. I'd love to work there and learn how to sew and finish leather.
Can he mail it back to you? Might cost a little but you'd probably save it in gas. Unless you just want to go there and window shop ;) . . .

Latest posts

Back