Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor's dogs have been getting out again. We have an easement where there is a long drive back to our home past the neighbors that have land in front of us. We drive the horses down this road regularly. I know I posted before that the dogs had chased Annie and gave my husband the ride of his life! It took a long while before Annie could have any relaxation traveling down the road, as they hurl themselves on the fence barking and snarling, but she has been doing so much better. Rocko completely ignores them, but he wasn't chased either.

Today I was in our training area working with Rocko and my husband left our property driving Annie and went down the road and one of the dogs was out and chased Annie again! 😖 Thankfully it was only the one he said, and it gave up the chase after a bit. Annie did bolt, but my husband said he was able to get her under control before she got too far this time. He was pretty mad about it though.

I am really glad I haven't had this happen with Rocko! The bummer is that the couple that own that home moved to Oregon this year, but they left the dogs! The son is living there now, and I don't think he likes the dogs, but it was part of the deal. My husband went and talked to him so hopefully he'll take care of the fencing where the dogs are getting out.

On the upside we have been having a lot of fun driving over at my new neighbors place. They finished putting a paddock off their barn and she brought her cutting horse home and he is a beauty with a great temperament! When we drive by he just looks and our horses are fine with him. She said she is going to purchase miniature cattle! It will be a while though, because they are still doing things to the house and because this was not being used as a horse property they need a lot of fencing, but we can drive all over their 10 acres there which is really nice of them. She works and is pretty busy working on the house and has her own horse to exercise, but I want to have her drive one of my horses some day to see what it's like.

Took Dapper Dan out early this morning before the heat. He was standing with the sulky harness with the morning sun on him and I just had to tell him what a handsome boy he is! Of course, he knows it already but he likes hearing it again.
Midnight was agitated when I was hitching. She thought she was going also. She cried when we drove away and left her. Man, I'll be glad when her prison sentence is over and she can come out to play again.

My neighbor's dogs have been getting out again. We have an easement where there is a long drive back to our home past the neighbors that have land in front of us. We drive the horses down this road regularly. I know I posted before that the dogs had chased Annie and gave my husband the ride of his life! It took a long while before Annie could have any relaxation traveling down the road, as they hurl themselves on the fence barking and snarling, but she has been doing so much better. Rocko completely ignores them, but he wasn't chased either.

Today I was in our training area working with Rocko and my husband left our property driving Annie and went down the road and one of the dogs was out and chased Annie again! 😖 Thankfully it was only the one he said, and it gave up the chase after a bit. Annie did bolt, but my husband said he was able to get her under control before she got too far this time. He was pretty mad about it though.

I am really glad I haven't had this happen with Rocko! The bummer is that the couple that own that home moved to Oregon this year, but they left the dogs! The son is living there now, and I don't think he likes the dogs, but it was part of the deal. My husband went and talked to him so hopefully he'll take care of the fencing where the dogs are getting out.

On the upside we have been having a lot of fun driving over at my new neighbors place. They finished putting a paddock off their barn and she brought her cutting horse home and he is a beauty with a great temperament! When we drive by he just looks and our horses are fine with him. She said she is going to purchase miniature cattle! It will be a while though, because they are still doing things to the house and because this was not being used as a horse property they need a lot of fencing, but we can drive all over their 10 acres there which is really nice of them. She works and is pretty busy working on the house and has her own horse to exercise, but I want to have her drive one of my horses some day to see what it's like.
Sorry to hear about the dogs. Hopefully talking to the guy, he will fix the fence. On the other side It's so nice to have good neighbors. Happy driving :)

Sorry to hear about the dogs. Hopefully talking to the guy, he will fix the fence. On the other side It's so nice to have good neighbors. Happy driving :)
We have new neighbors. I met the guy because their standard poodle came over unannounced. He and Dapper Dan had a standoff. I was worried about the chickens so I put the dog in the garden. Pretty soon I heard whistling and the new neighbor drove up looking for Ace. He was embarrassed that his dog had gone exploring. I don't think Ace would have hurt the chickens, but he might play rough. And I wonder where the standoff between Ace and Dapper Dan would have led. Maybe play. Maybe not.

I spoke too soon about Rocko not minding the neighbors dogs. We were driving back home the other day and they went crazy and he did have himself a big spook! Although at the same time a truck with a noisy trailer roared up behind us. He did listen to me and didn't go more than 10 feet, then relaxed while we drove the rest of the way home. Me on the other hand, took a couple of minutes to settle! 😉

I spoke too soon about Rocko not minding the neighbors dogs. We were driving back home the other day and they went crazy and he did have himself a big spook! Although at the same time a truck with a noisy trailer roared up behind us. He did listen to me and didn't go more than 10 feet, then relaxed while we drove the rest of the way home. Me on the other hand, took a couple of minutes to settle! 😉
The noisy trailer does mine in!

So I actually DROVE today for more than two minutes! I got the shafts lowered on the cart, moved the seat all the way back, and raised the shaft loops on the harness. I still had a slight amount of bouncing in the shafts at the trot but I think I was sitting too far forward when that happened. If I lean back hard I can get the shafts to pop up so I don't think there is as much weight in them as there was before. I still need to make a few tweaks to the harness adjustment but I think we're on the right track! This cart is really easy for me to drive and seems comfortable so far, the C springs under the seat are really nice.

Midnight left yesterday for her new home. Dapper Dan was lonesome, of course. I gave him a nice bath this morning and then we went for a drive. He was happy to be out and about. Breakfast when we got home and it was time for his nap. I sat with him last night in the pasture for a while to keep him company. A peanut butter cracker helped his lonesomeness.

Attachments

• july dapper.jpg
    july dapper.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A friend brought her two grandsons over this morning. They had never been around horses, but were naturals and wanted to learn everything! We had so much fun and the entire time they kept asking if they could come back. Annie was so good with them. @Edelweiss...This is a pumpkin! She is 37" super stocky and strong. She cantered with my husband and a boy in the cart like it was nothing.
20220728_101144.jpg
20220728_105321.jpg

@Edelweiss ~ She measures 37" at the last hair of her mane. My other two are 35".
She probably appears shorter in a photo because this cart seat is much higher than other EE carts which gives me more leg room. I am only 5'7" but my legs are long, so in other EE carts my knees were higher than my hips and I was riding much lower.

@Edelweiss ~ She measures 37" at the last hair of her mane. My other two are 35".
She probably appears shorter in a photo because this cart seat is much higher than other EE carts which gives me more leg room. I am only 5'7" but my legs are long, so in other EE carts my knees were higher than my hips and I was riding much lower.
Oh I get that! I am 5'7" as well, and also with long legs. It was hard to find saddles that fit when I was riding! Fortunately my EE and show carts are not terrible when it comes to leg room though. One reason I like bigger horses, lol.
I have found that most non show measurements are 2" taller than their real height. Trying to find a picture for scale but my 37" mare can look over a 4' gate.

I have found that most non show measurements are 2" taller than their real height.
It’s true! You taught me that! ♥️ I had Breezy measured at just over 33 inches but when I took him to the show they measured him at 31.25! Now i am still measuring him at a little over 33 inches. So which is their true height?? 🤣🤣

Our horse park here where the CDE's are held had the horse show people come out for a day to do free measurements so competitors would be in the correct divisions...Pony vs VSE. There is a big division here between show people and CDE people. I have two friends that will do both, but only to show their young horses to get their names out there.

It’s true! You taught me that! ♥️ I had Breezy measured at just over 33 inches but when I took him to the show they measured him at 31.25! Now i am still measuring him at a little over 33 inches. So which is their true height?? 🤣🤣
I was going to tag you but didn't lol. I think the shorter height is the real height.

Latest posts

Back