Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely day driving with our carriage club today at the state park! My daughter stole the reins and drove most of the time before she ditched me to ride with a pair of Shires instead. Chaos was wonderful and we had a picnic. but It was a looong day!9C4DC057-E0AF-4647-9464-DC4942F6BC0A.jpeg

Attachments

• trim.62A44C6A-35AD-41B2-A8B6-DC6660C37099.MOV
    9.8 MB
Dapper Dan and did a parade yesterday. I used the covered wagon again. After I bathed him and braided his tail, he was just gorgeous. The children loved running their hands over him when we stopped for petting.
My sister took Jackie and the other gal brought Munchkin. There was even another miniature horse and cart there! The folks had several big horses and children. I didn't have a chance to chat with them and find out where they live. She had put gorgeous glitter glue flags on the rumps of the ridden horses--definitely going to have to look into that for my horses!
Munchkin had on his new glitter Cavello boots--guess my sister and I are going to have to get some of those, too.
This is the last time for the covered wagon for a long time. Just isn't as much fun.
Munchkin did not have a good time at this parade. He was very nervous. She had to hold him by the halter and he was bucking. He wouldn't do his tricks, and she couldn't stop for people to pet him. At the end, he calmed down and showed off a little; she took him around to the fire station and back among the spectators and he did much better.
Some cowboys did a cattle drive at the end, driving a small herd through town.

Someone commented about Dapper Dan's boots--"don't his feet get really hot in those?"
"OMG, I have to have a little horse!"
"That's the littlest horse I've ever seen!"

Though plenty of people took our picture, we did not get any ourselves.

Chaos was a star today! Listened so wonderfully, and was a steady Eddy being passed by motorcycles and handling a sudden barking dog appearance and driving through some delicious grass. Now the drama beforehand when my daughter didn't latch the gate and so the filly, the dog, and the chickens made a break for it and ran around the neighborhood was not so relaxing!

Chaos was a star today! Listened so wonderfully, and was a steady Eddy being passed by motorcycles and handling a sudden barking dog appearance and driving through some delicious grass. Now the drama beforehand when my daughter didn't latch the gate and so the filly, the dog, and the chickens made a break for it and ran around the neighborhood was not so relaxing!
Good job Chaos, congrats. Were you able to retrieve all the chickens?:)

That is one of ,my greatest fears. Animals getting out/ loose and rounding them up and getting them home. I'm guessing the chickens must of been the hardest to catch?

Today my sister and I helped put the harness and bridle on Munchkin. His first time with a bit. He chomped on it for about 20 minutes, then was fine. We spent a while adjusting all the straps for him. His owner practiced taking the bridle on and off. She ground drove about 15 minutes. It is interesting that you have to tell new drivers to pull on a rein to steer the horse in a direction. I have noticed that before. And they have a hard time understanding the need to keep a tautness on the reins, to communicate. They both did fine though. She is going to ground drive him quite a bit before we introduce the cart.

I took Dapper Dan out this morning and we ponied Midnight. I decided to do the drive that goes around a neighbor's property. Dapper Dan was a bit of a prima dona today. We saw some turkey vultures up ahead, which he did not like. They were on a deer carcass, which Dapper Dan refused to pass. I had to get out and lead him around that. Pasture trail was rough, but it is fine in the sulky. The green up ahead is an unmown ditch with grass about 6 feet tall. We left the path and plunged down into that ditch and tall grass. Dapper Dan has no problem with this type of obstacle. Up through the ditch and onto the paved road and another diva moment: someone had hit a large hawk and the feathers were blowing in the breeze. I had to get out and lead Dapper Dan around this obstacle also. Midnight had to keep her wits about her, maneuvering around the sulky tires when Dapper Dan backed and side stepped.
It was a nice drive, though. Warmish, but not bad. Neither horse worked up a sweat.june 20.jpg

Latest posts

Back