Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My back neighbor flooded her fields so we got some water in our ditch and have had a lot of fun driving through it! It is down to mud today so now I see ruts which I'll have to straighten out.

Rocko has had a habit of leaning on the bit to carry himself and because I was using the mildest bit ever (called the ultimate tongue relief) my friend lent me a french link to try and it has made such a difference. I still need to work with him not to do it, but he is so much lighter already. I'm going to order one. So nice to be able to try something out first. Doesn't always happen that way!

When I first switched Cappy from a mullen to a french link, he was so confused when he found he couldn't lean as much. The baffled look on his face was priceless as he tried to figure it all out. I felt kinda mean taking his support system away from him.
We took Peanut to a show and after the halter classes I ground drove him. He is calm around the big horses now. The driving classes were at the end of the day and the halter classes of course were at the beginning so I opted not to stay. I get pretty tired from the arthritis and it would've been a long day.

Last edited:
The sun came out and wind moderated so we decided to do the parade. I thought I could just brush Dapper Dan, since it was only in the low 70's temperature, but he was so dirty I dragged out the heated water kit and gave him a quick bath. Dried him with a towel. He was so frisky afterward it made me laugh. He was so gorgeous, all clean and shiny. We got into town and luckily the wind was not as noticeable in town. Got the wagon assembled. My sister decided not to take Jackie O, but Munchkin came. Not sure what I think about using the covered wagon again. I will wait for any feedback of spectators before deciding whether to use it again. It was a lot of trouble to put together and I'd hate to waste it, but if it isn't a good parade thing, then live & learn. Difficult to interact with spectators with the covered wagon.
There is a Sesaco plant in Hobart and we couldn't figure out why Dapper Dan was trying to eat the street. Then we figured out it was fermented soy seed. So we had to position ourselves in a different spot. Munchkin was adorable doing his tricks. The trick that gets the most laughter is picking stuff up. An entrant's hat flew off and landed at Munchkin's feet. He picked it up and held it for her. His Parelli training is really good for him and his owner.
One amazing thing about our little horses is they never defecate while working. Big horses came by us to get at the end of the line (we were in the sixth position) and the whole way is strewn with manure.
No really good pictures but here are a couple.Munchkin parade.jpgjeannean parade.jpg

I think I see the issue with spectator interaction - the top is shielding you. One way I suppose this could be changed is to trim the top so it finishes above eye level - no longer a conestoga certainly, but it till evokes the idea that way!

View attachment 47331
Constructive suggestions welcome! The cart is just too small to do much with. Guess we could roll the sides up with ties. Ive seen covered wagons like that.

Looks great Marsha! I see what you mean, but I sure would like the shade it provides. Kinda like blinders for you. Is it hard to get into? Roll up sides would do it for the interaction factor.

Could you have some horizontal poles going back a little behind the seat of the cart and shorten and then move the whole cover back some?

Looks great Marsha! I see what you mean, but I sure would like the shade it provides. Kinda like blinders for you. Is it hard to get into? Roll up sides would do it for the interaction factor.

Could you have some horizontal poles going back a little behind the seat of the cart and shorten and then move the whole cover back some?
That's an idea! It wasn't hard to get into.

I am glad you got to go to the parade.

I love it just the way it is! The people can see you coming, they just can’t see you from the side. I think it is perfect 💕💕
Thanks! I am wearing my dad's old sweat-stained felt Stetson, sitting on a deer hide from my son, and my dad's lariat and old family cow bell hung on the back. I might have surrounded myself with too much sentiment. It made me a little melancholy, missing my dad. He would have loved the idea of a covered wagon.
And this is pretty petty, but Munchkin, who was just ahead of me, stole all the honors with his adorable tricks for the spectators. I am used to Dapper Dan being the star and I felt some jealousy on his behalf (as though he cares!).

We care! 🥰 Dapper Dan is adorable and I absolutely love his expression with his eyes closed in the sun! Like he totally gets how awesome and cool he is. :cool: That is lovely Munchkin knows tricks, but how many ponies would tolerate a creaking wagon with bits and pieces and a possibly noisy canopy?

You look adorable too! 😁

Well done both of you! 🏆 🤗

You look great… I miss my dad too. It’s hard when you have a parent that is so amazing, it’s 100 times harder when they go. I love wearing my dad’s old clothes… I feel like he is giving me a big warm hug when I wear them!

I was interested to read that Munchkin has been doing Pat Parelli training… do they go to clinics or do they just follow a program online? i love Pat Parelli! When I was a teenager he was always in Australia but it was too expensive for me then. I love how the internet and youtube have made everything so accessible these days!

Thanks so much for sharing, Martha!

You look great… I miss my dad too. It’s hard when you have a parent that is so amazing, it’s 100 times harder when they go. I love wearing my dad’s old clothes… I feel like he is giving me a big warm hug when I wear them!

I was interested to read that Munchkin has been doing Pat Parelli training… do they go to clinics or do they just follow a program online? i love Pat Parelli! When I was a teenager he was always in Australia but it was too expensive for me then. I love how the internet and youtube have made everything so accessible these days!

Thanks so much for sharing, Martha!
Yes, she takes the classes online and has a dedicated mentor. She is a born trainer, training her dogs, goats, and even ducks. She keeps meticulous training records for the Parelli classes and keeps track of training time. She has done an amazing job with Munchkin, taking him from a pasture horse to a performer.

Found another photo of the covered wagon, a view from the back. Our parade posititon was behind that jeep, so we are maneuvering in the street. Dapper Dan does not like to stand still while waiting, so we do a lot of circles. I thought that cow bell from my dad's childhood would be a good parade "noise". The clang by my head almost deafened me; took me a couple of days to recover, and I was told it couldn't even be heard in the parade noise. parade wagon back.jpg

Found another photo of the covered wagon, a view from the back. Our parade posititon was behind that jeep, so we are maneuvering in the street. Dapper Dan does not like to stand still while waiting, so we do a lot of circles. I thought that cow bell from my dad's childhood would be a good parade "noise". The clang by my head almost deafened me; took me a couple of days to recover, and I was told it couldn't even be heard in the parade noise. View attachment 47391
I'm late to the Parade! I just found your pictures and they are wonderful!

Midnight and I had a pretty good drive today. Weather perfect; temperature moderate and enough breeze to keep off bugs. We did dirt road, some paved, and then the rough path in the pasture as I wanted to see if a pond had benefited from the recent rain. She did pretty well until almost the end and then had her little homesick tantrum. But there is no meanness in her; I turned her around and ground drove a little then got back in. The rest of the way home she did her "fancy trot"😁
I've used the sulky the last two drives as it is so easy to hitch. I wasn't sure how she would like it, as there is a lot more movement and not as much support as the cart with regular harness. But she seems fine with it.
I just need to drive her more often.

Chaos was a totally star on our neighborhood drive tonight! We went out at dusk when it was cool, and he had so much energy and was paying great attention. He listened well to my daughter when she drove and handled all the doggers and cars wonderfully. I plan to trailer him out to the park on Wednesday to drive too this week. He was a bit of a butt with standing to unharness with grass within his sight.

Latest posts

Back