Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't do it at a show of course or in any busy environment, but all 3 of my driving horses were trained to be tied facing a wall while being harnessed and hitched to the cart because you don't always have a header. The guy that trained two of them was from the UK just like Barry Hook who I really respect. I use a grooming collar and unhook my horse and we back out.

Yeah, I’ve heard you aren’t suppose to tie a horse that is hitched, but I don’t follow that rule. I am a one woman show so I have to do things my way or a way that works for me. I tie them up, then hitch them up, then I sometimes get distracted and open gates, move horses around or whatever….. but my horses know I’m a klutz and that I get distracted very easily… I think they use that to their advantage 🤣🤣 Then I will put their bridles on. I would NEVER tie a horse up using their bit, that is a HUGE NO NO for me. I only tie them up in their halter. My horses are so small and tiny that I can man handle… woman handle….them with no problem. 😁

I would tie them up at a show or in a busy environment if I didn’t have anyone to help me, a gal has to do what a gal has to do. I don’t understand how leaving them loose with a cart attached is safer than having them tied up to something solid hitched. If they are tied up and spook, at least they would only hurt themselves. If they aren’t tied up and you are trying to get a bridle on, what happens if they spook and take off, how is that safe for the people who are around?? They could kill someone with the cart flying all over the place. I’ve never really understood that rule.

No way I would tie up a hitched big horse, but then again I won’t be driving a biggie…. And I think they say you should have 2 people for that anyways…. But I’m not a big rule follower 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Yeah I was taught not to as well. And also to never have them hitched without a bridle. Instead I expect my horse to be able not tied while I work - and we are getting better at it. My trainer did tell me also that they need to spend a lot of time hitched and just standing still after and before driving. She says it is good to even just take them out hitch them, sit in the cart and read a book, and then unhitch and put them away. I am so impatient and Chaos knows it, so he knows as soon as I get in, we are about to go. I need to work on that! They do also say never to go alone though, and I break that rule all the time.

I was also taught never to just drive off, but to stand first. I back my horses out and they stand before turning and going forward. I also ask them to stand before our hitching spot when we come in. That is another thing I was taught. They know better than to rush out or rush in. The other thing I do is drive past our hitching spot and back out to my training area when we come in. If you always take your horse out and drive right back to the hitching spot that is exactly where they want to go! ;)

Me too, me too 🤣🤣
Oh my goodness, I'd never get to go anywhere if I couldn't go alone, also! Which includes a lot of activities besides driving my horses.
I did not know better when I first got Dapper Dan, but all the horses I've trained recently stand untied while being hitched. The bridle goes on first, as that is the brake/steering wheel. Then, o dang! I forgot my gloves or phone or whatever--what to do with my hitched horse while I try to get that forgotten item??!
Another rule I was taught was the driver/whip gets in first and then any passenger. So many people I take driving want to jump into the cart before me and they usually feel insulted when I ask them to get out until I am seated.
All the driving rules started out with a good reason; guess we just need to work with our circumstances.

It took me years to get Peanut to stand before moving off, he gets quite animated 😂and invents his own version of fancy dressage maneuvers between the shafts. Once he moves out for a minute and then brought back to a halt, he's fine, just don't bottle up that initial energy o_O.

Thankfully someone put a really good stand on Rowan when they trained him to drive. Because I had no idea what I was doing when I got him and was constantly having to fiddle and tweak and make harness adjustments, so I would sometimes spend 10-15 minutes just going around and around and back and forth to get everything set up. Also he never moves a foot when you're getting in or out of the cart. In between, look out! 🤣

I've never felt the need to tie him for hitching even though I'm always by myself. If I forget something, well, I just try not to forget anything! ;)

It was 65 degrees and nice enough to wear a t-shirt on today's drive! We drove around our place warming up and then crossed the main road to the neighbors and had a blast driving around there where they have made a huge track. My cart feels fine at the walk or the canter but really not fun at the trot still so we did a lot of walking and cantering. Rocko was having a blast cantering around their property! He is getting a lot stronger, but when I unhitched him he was pretty sweaty! Can't wait to clip him this spring...nothing like running around in a fur coat!

Very short drive today, since it was the first drive since his spook. First day with dry enough roads since and of course as we start the wind bringing in the cold front picks up and trash is blowing around! He did well though he was much more on alert, so we kept it short and sweet and positive, 30 minutes or so! After the NEXT load of ice coming tomorrow finally melts we will build up slow I think.

Chaos was still a bit anxious today. We were meeting a lady for a Girlscout Cookie sale, and picking up my daughter from school. He did well there, but it was a windy again, and I think we need to take the bells off and practice more with them. He was much more nervous around the running children than he normally is. We have a big drive ahead of us on Sunday - about 3.5 miles round trip delivering cookies, so fingers crossed he does well. My daughter will be driving and the cart will be filled with cookies, so I am going to walk along side and I think use a lead rope just in case, since he has been nervous.

Big milestone! Today was the first day that Rocko did not take any canter steps when asked to move out while trotting. We have been working on that. Some of it may have been confusion, but it's just easier to canter. I've been giving him a little more alfalfa and notice he is getting stronger too so I was really happy with how we did today!

Drove Midnight today. Have not had her out in quite a while. Gorgeous weather so I had no excuse! She stood beautifully for harnessing, and it took me awhile as I seemed to get all the straps mixed up today. Duh. I took her out by herself, no Dapper Dan or other horse friends. I wasn't sure how she would do, just the two of us, but she did great. She sure has a beautiful trot.
I think I will put her back in the open bridle and see how she does.Midnight february.jpg

Rocko and I had a good day today. We worked on straightness at the walk, then at the trot and also with backing. We improved a lot by the end. My husband did a fix on my broken fiberglass whip (which is the perfect length) so I was able to use it to touch his shoulder and we just had one of those really good days of communication and response with minor corrections. I have gotten back to doing some groundwork with him on the days we don't drive too, which I think is helping with that connection and it's just easier for them to work on some things on the ground first. I always want to drive but I think the groundwork really pays off. I do so much groundwork for teaching manners and in preparation for learning to drive and then all I want to do is drive but now I am seeing the benefit of staying with both.

Latest posts

Back