Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby got me a boat seat and bracket to make it adjustable forward and back! He's going to install it on my jogging sulky along with a single tree. Basically turning in into a bike style cart for a fraction of the cost. Can't wait!
That is AWESOME Major! You’ll love it! Can’t wait to see pics 😍

Chaos didn’t mind wearing a hat for the first time! Just need some bells and an outfit for us to complete the look! He did great today, drove to a neighbors farm to pick up some pine cones for Girlscouts, and cantered around the block a couple times too. Now if I only I could figure out how to instruct my daughter without her getting so dang defensive when I try to correct her hands.F2384AF1-A0F9-49ED-AA68-A944D6C9A290.jpeg

Poor Candace is so out of shape. I did lessons for the nieces in the arena with the 4 wheel cart and that sand makes for a lot of work. We kept her to a walk but she was still puffing. She got plenty of breaks but was a little stiff after. She's getting old enough I need to warm her up better before putting her to work.

I also drove Perry and what a fun little guy he is. We did some work with cones out in the arena but we used the sulky so it wasn't too heavy. He's still a string bean. We cantered and he never tried to break into a gallop on me. He's so much fun and such a pretty moving horse. I foresee him moving up into the spot of favorite driving horse.

Poor Candace is so out of shape. I did lessons for the nieces in the arena with the 4 wheel cart and that sand makes for a lot of work. We kept her to a walk but she was still puffing. She got plenty of breaks but was a little stiff after. She's getting old enough I need to warm her up better before putting her to work.

I also drove Perry and what a fun little guy he is. We did some work with cones out in the arena but we used the sulky so it wasn't too heavy. He's still a string bean. We cantered and he never tried to break into a gallop on me. He's so much fun and such a pretty moving horse. I foresee him moving up into the spot of favorite driving horse.
Well, look what a gem his mom is. He comes by his talent naturally.

My sister came out with Jackie O and we had a nice drive. Summer-like weather so we did mostly walking, as they are so furry. We went about 3 1/2 miles. Stopped to chat with horsey neighbors (don't you just love the "neigh" in neighbor?). Midnight pretended to be terrified of several large pieces of farming machinery. I made her go up to them, and we drove around them. I don't know why she chose to be scared of them; she sees equipment frequently. They weren't even running, just sitting silently. I put the noisy bells on her, which she does not mind at all, but if I turn on the Pandora she acts silly.
It was a nice activity for Christmas Day.

Attachments

• midnight and equipment.jpg
    midnight and equipment.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 8
We have a new participant logging drive time this year! My husband is going to join us logging his driving hours with Annie which he says is his horse now. They do make a good team.
I still have this crud, didn't get tested but staying home taking it easy so I'm not ready to drive but Scott hitched Annie. Here they are at the end of the lane watching the cars fly by on the main road. He needs to fix her forelock before putting her bridle on which he sometimes forgets, but I'm just glad he has taken to driving! Introducing Scott & his horse Annie! 😊🤣🥳
Just look at that concentration on his face heh heh.
20220106_144554.jpg

We have a new participant logging drive time this year! My husband is going to join us logging his driving hours with Annie which he says is his horse now. They do make a good team.
I still have this crud, didn't get tested but staying home taking it easy so I'm not ready to drive but Scott hitched Annie. Here they are at the end of the lane watching the cars fly by on the main road. He needs to fix her forelock before putting her bridle on which he sometimes forgets, but I'm just glad he has taken to driving! Introducing Scott & his horse Annie! 😊🤣🥳
Just look at that concentration on his face heh heh.
View attachment 45608
Hooray! Another driver. How fun for both of you and Annie that your husband enjoys driving as well.

Sorry about being sick. We gave up on testing here too because it takes a week to get an appointment. Just staying home and away from others if we feel ill. Hope you get feeling better soon

Finally felt well enough to drive today. It is so green here and Rocko kept trying to grab some grass and threw a little tantrum when I told him no! Annie graduated and no longer needs a kick strap but his is staying put.

I drove him in two sessions because I still had bounce in the tugs and I ended up moving both the wheels/axels again! My husband and I switched for a few minutes so he could see what was going on and Annie was just a dream to drive. I'll admit I got a little jealous. She is all business when driving but I have to remember that she is older than Rocko, has been with me longer and had more training before I got him. I wish they were more similar so I could drive them as a pair. I think it can help with training and of couse I would love to have a pair!

Hurray Willow, glad you are feeling better. I always seem to be juggling the forelock too! Hoping to finally try out my bells today. Fed with them, and took a walk with him wearing them, but roads have been icy since Christmas.

Wellll we got to go out today... Chaos did excellent with the bells and with the puddles from the snow melt - which he wont walk through in hand, and stood patiently at school very well. Until.... we were doing a light canter home, and somehow his boots came off - and we had our first ever run away bolt. He was terrified and gallop out of control, with me hauling on the reins and him ignoring them. Luckily it was a good straight dry stretch with no cars at the time, because there are ditches on either side. We ran for a block and a half through a stop sign, before his brain caught up and he listened. My daughter did well not panicking, though she is a bit shaken. She ran back and grabbed his boots while I calmed him down, and we stood for a couple minutes and then got back in and walked home. Harness and cart handled it smoothly. So all in all, not too bad. No human, horse, or property damage, and hopefully no issues when we canter again, we will go slow back to that. Not really sure if I handled everything right, but will ask my trainer. Gonna have to try and figure out the boots though, he needs them for traction. Just can't tell with the fuzzies what went wrong since they always worked before! He has been fiddling with them lately, I think they are not fitting right due to the winter fuzzies.

Wellll we got to go out today... Chaos did excellent with the bells and with the puddles from the snow melt - which he wont walk through in hand, and stood patiently at school very well. Until.... we were doing a light canter home, and somehow his boots came off - and we had our first ever run away bolt. He was terrified and gallop out of control, with me hauling on the reins and him ignoring them. Luckily it was a good straight dry stretch with no cars at the time, because there are ditches on either side. We ran for a block and a half through a stop sign, before his brain caught up and he listened. My daughter did well not panicking, though she is a bit shaken. She ran back and grabbed his boots while I calmed him down, and we stood for a couple minutes and then got back in and walked home. Harness and cart handled it smoothly. So all in all, not too bad. No human, horse, or property damage, and hopefully no issues when we canter again, we will go slow back to that. Not really sure if I handled everything right, but will ask my trainer. Gonna have to try and figure out the boots though, he needs them for traction. Just can't tell with the fuzzies what went wrong since they always worked before! He has been fiddling with them lately, I think they are not fitting right due to the winter fuzzies.
So glad nobody got hurt! And a good sign that he was able to calm down and walk before you got home.

I'm so glad you all are ok. That's scary

When I drove Rocko yesterday he was pretty naughty, trying to grab grass and just not listening very well in general for the first half of our time.

I follow Barry Hook on YouTube and he had recently posted a video where he said instead of putting your horse straight away after driving them to leave them hitched to their vehicle and tied. Being near by of course and in a quiet environment where they won't be getting spooked. He said they think about things and the next time you take them out they will do much better. I did it with a riding pony but never with a horse that was still hitched.
Anyway, thought I would try it yesterday after our drive and I can't believe how different Rocko was today!!!! Never tried to snack once, and was super attentive.

I was taught never to tie a horse that was hitched. Too much can go wrong too quickly, much worse than a tied saddled horse. I imagine a bridled horse getting spooked and yanking on the bit. If it doesn't slip off his head, there could still be damage from the bit (or pressure points if bitless). Even if haltered, there could be significant damage to the harness/cart and even to the horse if he gets caught in shaft/straps. It could all happen in a split second.
Of course, one can know his own horse and know what is safe. But to generally advise, say a beginner, to tie a hitched horse may not be a good idea.
Anyway, that is what I was taught, and I still feel really uneasy when my casual driving friends tie their hitched horses. Was anyone else taught this?

Me. I was taught the same thing. Most of the shows I've gone to will disqualify you for the day if you tie a hitched horse. I like Barry Hook but have to disagree with him on this. Plus, Barry Hooks horses are really tired out at the end of one of his sessions and I imagine that they'd be more than happy to just stand 🙂 where with mine it's the opposite and they don't get worked nearly that hard and would be antsy o_O

Latest posts

Back