Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got to drive with the new harness. Needed to lower the top buckles and raise the bottom buckles on the bridle cheek pieces so I can lower the brow band a bit. And the breeching is roomy, but he's between sizes so we made it work. I kept hubby busy with the leather punch. Peanut seemed happy and I got my "spots" 😍 so I'm happy, too.

Attachments

• peanutspotharnessblur.jpg
    peanutspotharnessblur.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 12
  • peanutspotharnessbandw.jpg
    peanutspotharnessbandw.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 10
Thanks guys :) ! The headstall came with it, it's not bad at all considering it was a low budget harness. The leather is fairly soft on the whole harness. I added a nose band to stabilize it, I'll have to get a better nose band as it's really too big as came off a larger harness. I ordered it from Chick's supply and was happy enough with it to make it work and it is very similar to my beloved harness I broke. Same thing but with the spots.
I had a nice drive today. Not easy taking a picture from the drivers seat, I just kept turning right and snapping pictures til we got dizzy 😵

I did not pony Dapper Dan as I planned the 4 miles loop today and wanted to get Midnight trotting a lot. She was a very good girl out by herself. We were on a varied terrain, from paved to gravel to dirt. She did not shy at any big boulders or culverts. No equipment passed us today; may be a good thing.
She was a tired girl when we got home.
I have some poles to practice side passing, and our walk-on board in the corral. I was cleaning up harness and I saw her rolling by the pole. She was sort of rolled next to it. I wondered if she could be stuck there, so I moved the pole and board. She quickly got her feet under her and got up. Makes me wonder if she was a little "cast" there. I never thought of those objects causing any trouble.

Drove Cappy today, first time in a year except for when he pulled the manure sled last winter a few times when the snow was deep. Speaking of snow, your story about Midnight maybe getting cast reminded me of when my big pony got cast in a snow drift, I never thought he'd roll next to a drift, but down he went and into the drift he rolled. He floundered himself with all four feet straight up. I had to call the fire dept. as I couldn't budge him. By the time the guys got here, I had shoveled enough snow away from his back and side so he could roll onto his side and the excitement of the FD arriving gave him the needed "boost" to scramble up. Fun day!

Today was my husband's first day of retirement!!!! So we drove Annie and Rocko down the main road and on to that quiet road. One of the homeowners got a new cute little dog, but quite the barker going nuts and Rocko wasn't too sure about that dog! The owner came out and wanted to meet us and take pictures to show her grandkids so that gave him a great opportunity to get used to the new resident watch dog.

We had a lot of fun driving today and Rocko likes to keep up with Annie so he was really moving out nicely. I have been driving one handed a lot lately and it is getting more comfortable. So much easier for me to keep even contact. Holding the whip while driving two handed, I have a hard time keeping even contact with that hand and then when I go to use the whip I throw away the contact. It seems like a lot of people don't drive with a whip. There is a huge deep ditch (Culvert) that runs under the road we were on today and one time Rocko spooked right there and was going right to it as he twisted and all I had to do was set the whip at that side and he moved away from it and away from falling over the edge and we just carried on.

Another great picture! He looks nice clipped.
I love your husband's hat too! I really like western wear on men but my husband's mother sewed him western shirts with crazy patterns on the yokes when he was a kid which he hated and also begged him to play the banjo. Oh the trauma lol... He took up the saxophone instead and owns 2 pairs of cowboy boots but won't wear a western shirt.
Sorry, off track. Lol

Another great picture! He looks nice clipped.
I love your husband's hat too! I really like western wear on men but my husband's mother sewed him western shirts with crazy patterns on the yokes when he was a kid which he hated and also begged him to play the banjo. Oh the trauma lol... He took up the saxophone instead and owns 2 pairs of cowboy boots but won't wear a western shirt.
Sorry, off track. Lol

Haha!! My hubby is from Jersey, he’s my Jersey Boy! I took him to Cavendars Boot City to get him a pair of Justin Ropers. He put 1 foot in the boot, you should have seen the disgust look on his face… PRICELESS! So I couldn’t get him to wear boots, but he does wear a western hat and is now talking about getting a black felt one for the upcoming seasons. Oh and he’ll only wear the hat around the ranch to keep the sun off him, he doesn’t wear it out in public 🤣

Latest posts

Back