Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hitched Wally and Blue up as a pair for the first time tonight. They did amazing! They drive perfectly together. This photo is not flattering at all but they really do look good together. That have matched strides and pull evenly. I was going to sell these guys separately but now I'm thinking I'll sell them as a team. Which I hate because they are so nice to drive. But I just have too many send these guys are the newest additions. I hate these hard decisions!
[/QUOTE]
I think I see some wee feet in someone's lap. Getting a nice, early start!

They look great! Blue is so cute 😍. You don't need a new septic do you 😵? I hope not!

Yes! We are building so we need a septic system designed and installed. We've grown quite acustom to paying extra for any kind of excavation. I totally understand how the hill kept you from driving. Seeing it and bring upset is totally unmotivating.

I'm hoping to drive the boys again Sunday. Tomorrow is busy with the county fair. My son has raised a lamb so we've been showing so week. Tomorrow is the sale, parade, rodeo.

Oh, my goodness. I had a hard time keeping my toes uncurled today. Midnight's first parade and we picked the absolute noisiest one I've ever been in. Everything that could make noise was as loud as it could be and constant! Horns, revving, tractors, air brakes, scooters--it was nerve wracking for poor Midnight. I thought once we got started she would be okay, but it got worse. She never lost her mind, but she was doing little half-rears the whole time. People thought she was extra fancy! I was having trouble asking her to keep her head.
About 3/4 of the way, I turned out of our place in front of the John Deere D tractor and went around the block, as I could tell she was having enough. Reentered the parade at the back so we finished at least. I'm glad I didn't try to put any "stuff" on her or the cart. I will say, though, that even though she was challenging, I never had the feeling that she was going to bolt. I feared she would totally rear up a couple of times, but it was all done "in place".
Munchkin did great for his first parade. The air horns and loud revving got him head-bobbing, but he didn't lose his cool. She had him decorated so nicely. I loved the glitter bands on his boots.
My sister's Jackie O was her cool self, but even she got a little agitated over the noise.
I would have taken more photos, but I keep forgetting to cut the finger off my glove, so I coudln't use the cell phone camera. (I cut it off when I got back to the trailer so I wouldn't forget).

Attachments

• Midnight at Mnt View.jpg
    Midnight at Mnt View.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Munchkin and Frances.jpg
    Munchkin and Frances.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 10
Marsha, you are so brave! That was smart to reposition after she had so much overload. I bet she would do even better on the next parade after seeing it didn't kill her and knowing you will take care of her.

You all look great! Midnight' coat is so shiny. Love it. I really admire you for doing it.

Marsha, you are so brave! That was smart to reposition after she had so much overload. I bet she would do even better on the next parade after seeing it didn't kill her and knowing you will take care of her.

You all look great! Midnight' coat is so shiny. Love it. I really admire you for doing it.
If I do another with her, I will certainly choose a quieter one. It was fun that it was noisy and if I'd been just a spectator i would have enjoyed it. But it was too hard for her; we had no idea it would be so noisy. There was a ton of candy being thrown, little ones running out to pick it up, scooters zipping around. A true small-town parade and lots of fun for the people. Dapper Dan might have enjoyed it. He would certainly have needed his overcheck to keep him from stopping for candy!

We had a lesson this morning. Continuing to progress! The pattern we are doing now at an extended trot we have added a canter at the end and we are working up to him doing the whole thing at a canter.

When we were done I drove Rocko down our road towards the main road while our trainer walked with us just chatting....and purposely making noise scuffing her feet etc. No reaction. He did balk a little at first at the neighbors dogs who were barking, snarling and heaving themselves on their wire fence. Normally he ignores them. When we got to the main road we thought to go a little ways on it, but here came the garbage truck. I was surprised when my friend said we better not... lets turn around because she is usually a lets go for it!!! So glad she made that call because it was recycle pick up day and when we were partway back up our road and the truck got to the end of our road the racket my neighbors glass bottles made was so loud he had a spook. Easy to control because we were a ways away. That's something I'd rather experience with him for the first time from the ground on the end of a lead rope!

It is not just the noise, but that big arm comes out and grabs the can raises in the air and dumps it and then a lot of time the can falls over when the arm sets it back down. Could be pretty scary! 😱

Mine are desensitized to garbage trucks, they stop twice a week right in front of the barn door. They don't bat an eye anymore at the commotion even though I always jump 🤣 .
Cayuse, that's so good! A friend of mine lived in a house where the train tracks ran right next to her pasture's fence and her ponies acted like the big roaring train was nothing at all. I always thought that was the upside of living so close to the tracks!

Cayuse, that's so good! A friend of mine lived in a house where the train tracks ran right next to her pasture's fence and her ponies acted like the big roaring train was nothing at all. I always thought that was the upside of living so close to the tracks!
Isn't it amazing what a human or creature can become accustomed to!
It always surprises me that cattle who stare calmly at combines will freak out if I walk by with a little horse.

My young friend came to drive and we decided to take the horses down to that nice quiet street. Only it wasn't so quiet today!

We had some cars flying by, going around us on the main 2 lane road. The speed limit is 55 so people go 60 plus. We venture out when there are no cars, but once one turns onto our road it doesn't take long for them to overtake you! Both horses did pretty well with that. Annie was a little more nervous. 2 different women came out to see the horses and we were able to pull into their driveways. Really great way to meet people!

When we got to the quiet street there were lots of barking dogs that hadn't been out before. This got Annie really nervous. There is definitely a heightened fear of dogs for her since she was chased. A couple of cars came by and there was a family with a loose dog but they held on to it. Some kids came out all excited but their mom told them to stop running as she could see Annie getting upset. Autumn did a great job circling Annie around and getting her more relaxed. And at the end we all stood there together. It was such a good training day!
I got better photos but I didn't want to put her kids faces on the internet. I am going to invite them over to give the kids a ride with Annie in her own territory.

Attachments

• 20210820_111006.jpg
    20210820_111006.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 6
My neighbors had a 55th wedding anniversary party a couple of weeks ago and I met the neighbor on the otherside of them who rides a Tennessee Walker. I invited her to come driving today. It was cool, and the sky was clear blue with a nice breeze! Annie was feeling good and wound up so I drove her first. My new friend took to driving right away so I hitched Rocko and we had a great time! She says now she knows what she's going to do when she can't ride any more. And says yes she wants to do it again. So I'm still making converts!!!! 🥳

My neighbors had a 55th wedding anniversary party a couple of weeks ago and I met the neighbor on the otherside of them who rides a Tennessee Walker. I invited her to come driving today. It was cool, and the sky was clear blue with a nice breeze! Annie was feeling good and wound up so I drove her first. My new friend took to driving right away so I hitched Rocko and we had a great time! She says now she knows what she's going to do when she can't ride any more. And says yes she wants to do it again. So I'm still making converts!!!! 🥳
It's so nice to have someone who is horse-savy to take the reins sometimes! Another convert, yay!!

Well, I busted one of my beloved harnesses that I got from Big Dee's years ago and they no longer carry them. So I hunted around and found one that looks to be just like it and it has SPOTS 😍. So I ordered it. The harness I got from Star Lake is lovely but really too nice to goof around in so if the spotted one fits, I'll save it for best. I love spots 😍😍😍!

My little buddy came over to drive this morning but we made it quick. I put her bike in the back of my car so we could drive over to see her new horse! She adopted a Thoroughbred from the rescue here! Pretty ambitious I'd say. She is a very sweet mare though. I fell in love with her. The horse is 9 years old. Had a month or so of training, was never raced and has been in a pasture for the last 7 years. (Yikes for a first horse!!!)
She is boarding her for now where my trainer friend is working with them and will do the first ride. Her dad has been taking her out there 6 days a week for the last two weeks since she got her and I can't belived how bonded to her that horse is. She took her to the arena saddled and bridled her and lunged her brought her to the mounting block and practiced having her stand. Then that horse followed her around at liberty. Was such a beautiful day I tell you!
The woman that owns the rescue here is awesome. She had her come to the rescue and work with this horse so she could assess her skill level with horsemanship and see how they worked together. Her dad asked for a month trial with the horse in training and I actually think it's going to work after what I saw today. She has been taking riding lessons for 4 or 5 years and is fearless. Ah, to be young again!!!!
If any of you have any first horse stories I'd love to hear them!

Drove Midnight today. It's been quite a while, so I didn't know how she would do. I went to get my cart and it had a flat. Tried to air it up, but the valve stem was broken. Called husband, who can change a flat in under 5 minutes. Luckily we had a spare inner tube. By the time I had harnessed Midnight and ground driven her a few minutes, the cart was ready to go. I ponied Dapper Dan, as I felt she would be better if she knew he was with her. I always hate to pony Dapper Dan; it seems somehow demeaning and I think it hurts his feelings. But actually I think he enjoys going along and seems perfectly happy behind.
Midnight did very well! She acted as though she drives every day. We did not trot as much as she likes, though, since Dapper Dan was on behind. Her trot is pretty fast and his legs are shorter! But walking most of the way was good for them both.
We went into the pasture of a neighbor. There was a large, scary metal thing at the corner and she was determined not to go past it. Since I had DD on behind, I did not press it, but concentrated on getting past the scary thing without mishap.
All good the rest of the way. We did some weaving back and forth on the road to practice. At the walk she maneuvers perfectly. At the trot, however, she has a hard time giving to pressure. We work on that.
All in all, a good drive for a good girl that hasn't been out for several weeks.Midnight September.jpg

Latest posts

Back