Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marsha, I got to have one of those days. When I went to hitch Rocko this afternoon the wind came up and somebody was using a skill saw and making all kinds of racket, the neighbor next door was on his tractor which usually doesn't bother Rocko, but there was some mechanical thing going on with it making a horrendous screeching sound. The cattle gates were clanging, kids in the distance playing (screaming) and the horses two pastures over were running around in a frenzy. He had a few good spooks and he wasn't having any fun and neither was I. Afterwards I decided to take him back out there on a lead so he could see there was nothing to be concerned about and what do I see? A mylar balloon stuck to the fence flapping! I didn't see it because that section of fence is elevated running along the big ditch. But that Rocko doesn't miss a thing!

Marsha, I got to have one of those days. When I went to hitch Rocko this afternoon the wind came up and somebody was using a skill saw and making all kinds of racket, the neighbor next door was on his tractor which usually doesn't bother Rocko, but there was some mechanical thing going on with it making a horrendous screeching sound. The cattle gates were clanging, kids in the distance playing (screaming) and the horses two pastures over were running around in a frenzy. He had a few good spooks and he wasn't having any fun and neither was I. Afterwards I decided to take him back out there on a lead so he could see there was nothing to be concerned about and what do I see? A mylar balloon stuck to the fence flapping! I didn't see it because that section of fence is elevated running along the big ditch. But that Rocko doesn't miss a thing!
That kid of day takes me two steps back. I sure thought Midnight was past the total freak out stage. But it is probably better to know that no horse is %100 safe.

Exactly. With Rocko being green it is a fine line between me staying relaxed yet ready and proactive should he get a little crazy. Sometimes I can tell he is going to shy away from something coming up so I get my whip ready on the opposite side to touch him so he won't go in that direction and stay the course.

We had a lesson today and he did really well because I kept him busy working on transitions so there was no time for him to focus on anything else but me and what I was asking.

We have mastered two gaits at the walk but still working on the trotting gaits. When I ask him to trot up from a working trot he gets mixed up and starts to canter but today he only took a few canter steps most times before stretching out in a nice extended trot.

My husband was home and he worked with Annie on transitioning from a canter to a halt. We always let her transition from a canter to trot, walk, halt so now she is learning something new too which will add to her saftey factor.

I was so discouraged yesterday but am feeling a whole lot better today. I made the decision to get this young horse and I just need to put the time into working with him and continue building our relationship.

I had a lesson scheduled for today and had my friend bring her 40" pony over to ground drive him around and to make sure what size cart she should order for him. We actually put Annies cart through the tugs this time and the trainer agrees he should be fine, just with the larger wheels.
All my horses were excited to see the new pony.
So they were ground driving around my training area trying to get him to settle down as he is just learning, and Rocko was forward and looking really pretty. I think he was showing off! Whatever it was he was listening to me really well and did amazing. I needed one of those days!

35 minutes driving Dapper Dan today. I did not count hitch time spent with him forgetting his Stand and taking off for the back 40 with his harness. I got the golf cart out and went to fetch him. Brought back the truant and got him hitched. He actually had about 20 minutes more hitched! Luckily none of the harness was damaged.

It was a little windy here today but my little buddy was coming over to drive Annie so that got me out there. Rocko started out having a few spooks here and there which I couldn't see anything! He eventually settled down and we had a nice long drive and also took advantage of the new grade where the blackberries were. That is going to help strengthen his hind end.
I'll be glad when these March winds are over!

After our rocky drive the other day, I decided to ground drive Midnight for a while. She was pretty bratty today. But when we got home, I worked with her side passing and throwing a rope around her body and legs. She side passed perfectly and handled the rope well. She walked through the hoolahoop willingly. I can tell she really enjoys learning things and loves being praised. She ought to belong to a young person who would teach her lots of tricks, instead of to me.

After our rocky drive the other day, I decided to ground drive Midnight for a while. She was pretty bratty today. But when we got home, I worked with her side passing and throwing a rope around her body and legs. She side passed perfectly and handled the rope well. She walked through the hoolahoop willingly. I can tell she really enjoys learning things and loves being praised. She ought to belong to a young person who would teach her lots of tricks, instead of to me.
Did you leave Dapper Dan behind? Wondering if she acts out a little when going solo away from home.

I'm feeling very old with my back problem! I had the trainer come out and drive Rocko today because he's been standing around. It's 86 here today and he was soaked when they were done! It's supposed to get back to high 60's low 70's.

Yes, she was alone and she didn't like it. She loves going with my sister's Jackie O. I can't pony Dapper Dan with her as she is too green, and her gait is much faster than his.
The good thing about ground driving is when I ask for whoa or stand, I can be the immoveable "post". She used to have such a nice whoa and stand, but has regressed. We will work on that now.
Hoping to clip next week. We are still getting some chilly nights.

Your girl is beautiful, Pritanio, what color is she and how tall?
Sorry Abby,
Bit of a rough month.
Missy is 33" at last mane hairs. Her AMHA papers say Buckskin, her AMHR papers say Silver Buckskin. I've heard her referred to as a "silver dunskin".

For those with more smarts than I possess...

Genetic Profile Test Results
Horse: Sunnyvale Psyched Up Inspiration

Coat Color: Sunnyvale Psyched Up Inspiration has one Red allele and one Black allele, indicating the base coat color appears Black. Two
copies of the Dominant Agouti allele were detected; invisible on a Red base, it pushes/restricts Black out to points; legs, ear
tips, etc. appearing Bay. One Dun allele and one Silver allele was detected which may dilute base coat color. One Cream
allele was detected which may dilute base coat color, possibly appearing Buckskin. As a result of the allele count in each of the
following, she has a minimum 50% chance of passing Red or Black, and 100% Dominant Agouti, and 50% Cream and/or Dun
and/or Silver to any offspring.

Anyone care to translate that?🤣

Some of us are working with either green or new to us driving horses so I want to share a tip from my trainer which is helping me.

My new horse can sometimes get concerned with things around him because that is where his focus is. I was instructed to get and keep his focus on me, not his surroundings. This means giving him other things to think about. Instead of traveling in a straight line do a serpentine or throw in some circles. Basically keep him busy and his attention on you is what she said.
This morning I thought of it like this. I have a friend that moved but we used to walk together. Sometimes on our walks we would look all around us noticing our surroundings and other times we would be really connected sharing our personal stuff, so intent on whatever it was that I didn't notice a thing we passed by and we were home before I knew it.
After the dog escapade with Annie my husband used this method weaving her left and right down the road to keep her focus on him and not the dogs. Thankfully she is now traveling by the dogs just fine.

This is what I try to do with Midnight. We zigzag, do figure 8's, stop, stand, back. I look for obstacles that she can go around. The white spray tank was not even close to us; don't know why she was so scared of it. I think I might try an open bridle next time and see if that makes a difference. Also might take her down there on a walk, just leading by halter, and see if it spooks her.
Thanks for the suggestions!

We had a lesson today and Rocko is really understanding what I'm asking and using his hind end more which is making the transitions really smooth. Our trainer was super happy with the way he is going. I can actually feel it, but you can't really see how he looks when you are driving so she said she will video us.

There is always something new to work on which is making it fun. I love this little guy! I don't have the urge to do shows, but there is a HDT coming up in two weeks so I might pay for use of the facility like I did for Annie last time during the event and then you can drive the marathon course which includes the hazards after all entries are done. Just to get him around all the activity. There is a lot going on and it would be good for him.

I got word that it will be at least another month before my new cart ships. It is so good to have an idea though.
In March they said they were shooting to ship my cart in mid April. So I sent an email inquiring what date the cart would be shipped. They got right back to me but all it said was "We're hoping for mid May if all goes as planned. Have a great day!" So another month at least for sure. I'm now at 5 months since I gave them the deposit.

Note to self: When telling people things they don't want to hear, be sure to add Have a great day! :D

I tried Midnight in the open bridle today. Took me a while to put her bit on the other bridle. I think my brain is backward. She did fine in the open bridle. We passed the scary white spray tank and she was silly, but we walked up to it. She was not as bad as the first time. We did figure 8, zigzag, whoa/stand, back on our route. We went up and down banks; circled stop signs; crossed culverts. She might have been a little more relaxed in the open bridle.

We had a lesson today. 😊 There was a tractor mowing the pasture right behind my training area and the mower deck was banging making a racket as it went over bumps. Rocko was a little concerned, but held it together and was listening. He is trusting me more and more.
I was super excited to drive today because I volunteered at the HDT here this weekend and was working at the cones course and got to see some really great drivers. It was a big turn out! My trainer / friend took first place for VSE and we had a lot of VSE people this time that came from all over.

I've been waiting for my new cart which is now approaching the 5 month mark since I ordered it and I met a woman this weekend with a new carriage from the same maker and she said hers took 8 months! She is really happy with it though so that is encouraging.

Latest posts

Back