Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are still working on getting more impulsion at the walk and when in the cart if I ask him to walk up and he becomes more forward getting on the bit he gets a little release which is working well.
Chaos is definitely a laid back guy and we need to work on that too. Any other tricks from anyone? He is 13 and likes to live life in the slow lane - which is great for us since we are just learning too, so we have really been letting him get away with it...

Hope you feel better quick charlottien.

Marsha, could you have a short in your heated tank and that's why they're not drinking? Your weather OK made the news here this morning! Pictures of trees crashing everywhere, what a mess!

Hope you feel better quick charlottien.

Marsha, could you have a short in your heated tank and that's why they're not drinking? Your weather OK made the news here this morning! Pictures of trees crashing everywhere, what a mess!
No, it's grounded. There weren't even hoof marks near it.
Yes, it's a mess here.

Marsha, I feel bad about your tree! One of my trees did that in a storm and there was just enough attached that my husband pulled it up and put a huge bolt in it and it grew back. But then it wasn't frozen to start with.

Marsha, I feel bad about your tree! One of my trees did that in a storm and there was just enough attached that my husband pulled it up and put a huge bolt in it and it grew back. But then it wasn't frozen to start with.
We have saved a tree like that also, putting a carriage bolt through. We have dozens of damaged trees. It will take months to clean up the debris.
Ihave heard of horses not drinking because they were shocked by incorrectly installed heaters. Mine preferred to eat ice, I guess.

My horses will eat snow before drinking out of a trough in the winter. The vet suggested the cold water going past their teeth can be uncomfortable and eating snow keeps them busy and hydrated so win-win.

We had a big wind storm here that blew down 100+ year old trees but I'd take that over an ice storm any day. Those are two words I really don't think should be used with one another. I've never experienced an ice storm but it sounds and looks miserable.

My drive day:
0 minutes!
It was a beautiful day. Just perfect for driving. I hitched Rocko and had just bent over and fastened the overgirth and when I straightened up my back went out!!! 😫
Haven't done that for a long while. My husband drove him and then Annie so at least they got worked today. I've done ice and heat. Hoping it gets better quick because the chance of rain is forecasted for a couple of days next week. Rocko is still in the process of building muscle and I want to keep up with his training. Plus I just love being with them even feeding and mucking.😊

My drive day:
0 minutes!
It was a beautiful day. Just perfect for driving. I hitched Rocko and had just bent over and fastened the overgirth and when I straightened up my back went out!!! 😫
Haven't done that for a long while. My husband drove him and then Annie so at least they got worked today. I've done ice and heat. Hoping it gets better quick because the chance of rain is forecasted for a couple of days next week. Rocko is still in the process of building muscle and I want to keep up with his training. Plus I just love being with them even feeding and mucking.😊
Ouch!! Hope you get better quickly. It's nice to just sit with them, too, and Rocko may benefit from that quiet time as much as driving.

Gorgeous day. I took Midnight to town to drive with my sister. We went a different way this time, to the edge of town where the grain elevators are. We drove over the scales, through the narrow area where the grain trucks unload, and all through the obstacles there. Then on down the road. Some ominous rustling in the tall grass on the side of the road startled Midnight. A few cars passed. A steepish hill where she had to brake with the breeching. Then we saw a cow that followed us along the fence line, which was super scary. Then we passed a property where someone was firing a heavy gun. Midnight should be used to that, but it startled her a little, especially since it was right where the cow was. We stopped at Sonic for an ice cream cone (I have not had one in over two years since I've been on WW; I craved one. ) I shared the cone with Midnight. We headed back to the trailers. Some barking dogs, more traffic. Then we passed a church and a man asked for a ride. He was about 6' tall, not fat, but a good-sized adult. I took him in my cart to his house a few blocks away. Midnight really had to dig in with the load, but she was a trooper. The guy was very friendly and considerate, so it was all good. Back to the trailer and home. Today she did not stand worth a flip for harnessing. I think it is because I've had her on a dry lot all day, trying to get her weight down, and she was so anxious to get to the grass. I should have moved her to a driveway for harnessing, but didn't think of it until we were half hitched. No change on the tightness of the girth, so a week on a diet didn't make any difference. I was disappointed.
Overall, a very good girl. I think we went about 6 miles.

You don't know how lucky you are to be able to drive 2 minis. I have only 1. It is my dream to be able to learn to drive 2 at one time. I enjoy driving my girl. I know that driving 2 you can go faster.have fun and be safe

Here in Az. I cant work my horse unless the weather is 90 degree or less. So several months out of the year I cant work my mini. In the winter months, since it doesn't snow I can work from October until May. I also have to watch to see if the payment is cool for my horse's feet. (I have decided just to walk on her on the payment). we haven't bought shoes yet. just adding my 2cents

Our neighbor ran her water for a couple of days and filled up part of our ditch. So on tuesday I tried to drive Rocko through it and he just skirted it and we went up the side of the ditch. He had never driven through water before. It rained yesterday so there was still a lot of water so I took him through the water on the lead today. He was really good about it. I'm glad we did too because we were both sinking in the mud and I had planned to take him through it in the cart tomorrow but we would get stuck for sure, so glad we checked it out today!

Our neighbor ran her water for a couple of days and filled up part of our ditch. So on tuesday I tried to drive Rocko through it and he just skirted it and we went up the side of the ditch. He had never driven through water before. It rained yesterday so there was still a lot of water so I took him through the water on the lead today. He was really good about it. I'm glad we did too because we were both sinking in the mud and I had planned to take him through it in the cart tomorrow but we would get stuck for sure, so glad we checked it out today!
It is interesting that sometimes they go through water with no issue, and then other times it must look like the Grand Canyon. I try to look at the water obstacle to see if there is some reflection or other weirdness that might look suspicious to them, but can't always see any reason for a refusal. I have gotten out of the cart many times to persuade mine to go through a puddle, soaking my boots. I've even unhooked the cart and tried leading through some shallow little rain puddle in the street that was refused.

I think it's the depth they are unsure about. Several of my horses have pawed the water checking it out even if I'm standing in it. I had on rubber boots yesterday and the muck underfoot was trying to suck my boots off! I think they are unsure if the footing will be stable also when they can't see it. The top was just like a mirror too.
Had to clean all that muck out of his feet when we got back and he was none to happy about that.

40 minutes driving Rocko today.

He spooked a little at some cows but also encountered an excited dog and then a truck leaving our property but held it all together. We have been working on standing still during grooming and he did really well today.

Marsha, We are doing pretty good! The latest thing is teaching them to touch a ballon with their nose. The minis will do it but Oatie, the big pony, has to give it a lot of thought before giving it a go. I have been entering some agility classes and have had fun. Actually, Oatie is the best of the three as he thinks his way through the obstacles, the minis just barge through happily letting accuracy fall by the wayside :).

A few rainy days set in and both horses are a muddy mess. I was hoping to take DD out for a drive, but more rain in the night. We need it, so not complaining! Roads are a muddy mess. I have been walking Midnight every day or taking her on the golf cart. I think I can see a slight improvement in her figure. I try to do a few ground work things on our walk. Still dealing with shingles, the post neuralgia-thing. Got a new medicene to try today. I've never had so much trouble getting over anything, as I am "healthy as a horse"!

Marsha,
Hope the new meds do the job! What a pain. Literally!

I've never ponied my horses with my golf cart. Afraid I'd run them over. Do you have any how-to tips?

Latest posts

Back