Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband and I had fun driving Annie around a cones course today. I also had to re-school her on going next to the pole (on the ground) so I could straddle it with my cart wheel. Friday my little buddy tried it and somehow she got the pole going cross-ways under the cart behind Annie's feet and in front of the cart wheels which she was then dragging but Annie held it together and I got them to stop so I could drag it out of there. So today Annie was a little concerned, but we got back on track.

Can somebody help a girl out? I'm experiencing technical problems here. My "like" button is gone and I can't start a new thread. By can't start a thread, I mean I can't find anyway to start one. No "start thread'' icon/button/sign anywhere. I'm logged in and can post on a thread but that's all. Also can't answer messages :( and I think some messages were not delivered to me. (Marsha, I did get yours :)). It's all a mess😰. Help?!?

not driving, but an interesting afternoon. The spirit moved me to clean the chicken house. My horses are not allowed in the chicken pen, of course, but i unhooked the stall gate and let them in while i was working. Oh joy! Somewhere to snoop and roll. Wheel barrow full of something interesting. A little building to think of going in or at least pawing the floor. Time out for serious belly scratch with the rake. We all enjoyed our time together. Midnight had to come up and do the nose wiggle on me afterward. No training, but it was quality time.

Drove Midnight today by myself. She did well. The only thing different we did was drive in a neighbor's pasture around the pond. It was very steep. One part Midnight did well going down, braking with the breeching. Another side was too steep, so I got out and held the cart back a little. Lovely day in the 50's, sunshine and no wind. She still got a little sweaty, and enjoyed a good roll afterward.

Was on vacation this week, camping at the coast. Had a great time, but missed my ponies every time I saw a place that looked like it would be fun to drive! Got home last night and am pretty wiped out. Hoping to drive tomorrow. Fun to see what everyone has been up to. Hope you get all the site features back Clem!

I hitched Annie today and after she was warmed up my husband drove her and I ground drove Rocko. The new crown piece for his bridle came in and I wanted to try him with the side checks to see if it fixed the grass grabbing while ground driving. Happy to report it worked perfectly.

We are still working on getting more impulsion at the walk and when in the cart if I ask him to walk up and he becomes more forward getting on the bit he gets a little release which is working well. But ground driving a horse that likes to walk slow makes it harder to keep contact being I have long legs and am not a slow walker, so today I decided to follow my husband while he drove Annie who is forward, larger and has a much longer stride. This worked really well as Rocko wanted to try and keep up with her and then also good for training to stand as he wanted to keep following her but had to listen to me.

It was a big decision to get Rocko who is so young and green because I knew it would be a lot more work right after I just got through all that with Annie. I keep reminding myself where she was a year ago....so hopefully by this time next year we will have two pretty solid driving horses.

Marsha, I just now fixed it! I dunno what I did, I updated my email and it's back to normal. I can post, "like" and start a new thread, but I can't quote. Progress!
If I am on my phone everything works, but on my desktop computer, no matter how many times I check the stay logged in box I have to log in each time. Any fix for this?

I hitched Annie today and after she was warmed up my husband drove her and I ground drove Rocko. The new crown piece for his bridle came in and I wanted to try him with the side checks to see if it fixed the grass grabbing while ground driving. Happy to report it worked perfectly.

We are still working on getting more impulsion at the walk and when in the cart if I ask him to walk up and he becomes more forward getting on the bit he gets a little release which is working well. But ground driving a horse that likes to walk slow makes it harder to keep contact being I have long legs and am not a slow walker, so today I decided to follow my husband while he drove Annie who is forward, larger and has a much longer stride. This worked really well as Rocko wanted to try and keep up with her and then also good for training to stand as he wanted to keep following her but had to listen to me.

It was a big decision to get Rocko who is so young and green because I knew it would be a lot more work right after I just got through all that with Annie. I keep reminding myself where she was a year ago....so hopefully by this time next year we will have two pretty solid driving horses.
I know that feeling, of starting over. Luckily, it really sounds as though Rocko will work out. Being able to work together is a huge help.

Thanks Marsha! I appreciate the encouragement. You know first hand the work it takes. And patience!

I had planned to hitch Rocko today but it was super windy! So I took him out just on a lead and we went up and down the sides of the ditch and stood in the wind some letting him look at everything blowing around including the plastic bag on the fence. He of course was on high alert but did really well.

Then we went behind the barn where there was a wind break and worked on the stand. So we turned it into a productive day after all. I've only had him since July so I think these times are good for bonding.

Ice storm here. Then this morning snowfall. Power out. Generator working. Trees still have their leaves so they are a sorry sight. If I feel ambitious i might try dapper dan in the snow saucer. Still battling shingles, going into week 6. (Dr says it's harder to recover because I'm older!) This weather is not typical of October at all.

Bad damage here to trees. I don't think I will make it out to drive Dapper Dan in the saucer. It was ice fog for two days and there is a frozen crust on the snow. Not sure about his footing in that. What's odd is neither horse drank from the heated water tank (and we went to a lot of trouble with the generator to keep that going!). No hoofprints around it at all. They must have been eating snow. The shade tree by my corral really suffered.October mulberry.jpg

Oh yikes! Yeah the snow is melting here in Colorado from this weeks storm. Makes me really wish I could get some hoof boots for driving - someday for sure, but just can't afford them this year. Got Chaos' new harness today from Chimacum! Finally one that will fit - my Christmas present. I can't wait to try it on.... buttt I have Covid so gotta wait until I am feeling better and not contagious. We drive in the neighborhood and don't want to risk getting too close to anyone, and I am just not feeling well enough to even go out and tinker with it in the pen.

Latest posts

Back