Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No driving for me for a while. I was doing some hand sewing today and my hand got stiff. I looked and there is a giant lump on the top of my hand. Popped up just like that. Went to dr and it is a giant hematoma. Will take at least 2 weeks to heal. Guess I was lucky it didn't happen in my brain...
And wouldn't you know the weather is cooling off. aaarrrgghh!
Sorry to hear! I had to look it up, basically a bruise?

No driving for me for a while. I was doing some hand sewing today and my hand got stiff. I looked and there is a giant lump on the top of my hand. Popped up just like that. Went to dr and it is a giant hematoma. Will take at least 2 weeks to heal. Guess I was lucky it didn't happen in my brain...
And wouldn't you know the weather is cooling off. aaarrrgghh!
Rats! Sorry to hear it. Hoping it clears up sooner than the 2 weeks! 🌸

Well, I have to whine a little. The day after the hematoma showed its ugly face, I came down with shingles. It's been a rocky time. It's been almost two weeks and the lump on the hand is still there and somewhat painful. I may have to follow up on that.😰 I've been able to take the horses for short hand walks, but that's it. I might be able to drive Dapper Dan this week, as he is my rocking chair. No way can I take Midnight out. I don't want to overdo and set myself back. And it was my birthday; my sister gifted me a set of large orange cones to play with, but they will have to wait.

Marsha I feel for you! Shingles too. Oh boy. You are having a tough time of it. Hang in there, better days are to come! I love the gift your sister gave you! I always want more cones. I just cashed in our Lowes reward points to use for cones and our local Lowes were out of them when I went in to get some. Two things I always want for gifts...cones and gardening gloves.
Get well soon!!!!!!

I had a driving lesson today with Annie and she did really well. Her pivoting is improving and we also straddled a pole between the cart wheels. She was spooked by the pole at first but got over it really quickly. Funny how she can jump over it in the round pen no problem and then when she saw it out in the training area she was; Whoa, what is that doing here, and you want me to do what???!!! Really proud of her and the progress she is making. It really helps to have someone pushing us to try new things.

I have also started re-doing the pasture and took Marsha's advice to go with t-posts. I found out about the wedge loc system for doing corners with the t-posts on-line and so I purchased some and my husband was really impressed with the system being we didn't have to re-dig holes for posts in the clay soil which is like cement this time of year. I previously had 3 rows of the electric poly rope but think that was maybe overkill for these little guys so I am going to start out with 2 rows and see how that goes. We have perimeter fencing all around now (don't even ask about the neighbor!) and a gate so even if they did escape they couldn't leave our property. Plus I never leave them in the pasture if I am not home either so we'll see.

I had a driving lesson today with Annie and she did really well. Her pivoting is improving and we also straddled a pole between the cart wheels. She was spooked by the pole at first but got over it really quickly. Funny how she can jump over it in the round pen no problem and then when she saw it out in the training area she was; Whoa, what is that doing here, and you want me to do what???!!! Really proud of her and the progress she is making. It really helps to have someone pushing us to try new things.

I have also started re-doing the pasture and took Marsha's advice to go with t-posts. I found out about the wedge loc system for doing corners with the t-posts on-line and so I purchased some and my husband was really impressed with the system being we didn't have to re-dig holes for posts in the clay soil which is like cement this time of year. I previously had 3 rows of the electric poly rope but think that was maybe overkill for these little guys so I am going to start out with 2 rows and see how that goes. We have perimeter fencing all around now (don't even ask about the neighbor!) and a gate so even if they did escape they couldn't leave our property. Plus I never leave them in the pasture if I am not home either so we'll see.
Have to look into the wedge loc system. Have not heard of it.
We use two electric wires and the only time it was a problem was when the goat chased the horses. Having another wire probably wouldn't have helped any. Midnight always checks the wire to see if it's on. She knows the boundary, but she sticks her head through. I think she uses her whiskers to feel for the current. Dapper Dan doesn't even go near, ever. We have not turned the fence on in months. I hate to turn it on now and freak Midnight out after all this time, but she may need a reminder for her own good.
So glad Annie is going well!

I took Rocko on a little adventure today. I had purchased the curved shafts for his cart and the footman loops were in the wrong place and I didn't want to drill into the cart and regret my placement decision. I decided to trailer him an hour away to the trainer that trained Annie (where we go for play days) and have him adjust his harness and fit him to the cart with the new shafts. The trainer is very meticulous so I thought it would be worth the trip and Rocko would get some exposure to a new place.

He trailered well and stood pretty quiet for his fitting which took a while. Then we went all over the facility and around all the horses while his cart was getting worked on. After it was ready we hitched him and I drove him for 10 minutes to see how he looked. The trainer really liked Rocko and thinks he will be a great driving horse once he builds up strength in his back end. He thought his weight and conformation was good and since he is young he will get a little bigger and gain more muscle as I work him.
He tweaked a few things and had me do the reins rough cheek instead of in the first slot where I had them which he said would make him bend at the pole. It is these little things that I would never know to do on my own. So all in all a good day. I needed one of those!

Just an FYI: When you order the curved shafts from Kingston Saddlery, they state 2 sizes available for minis 48" and 53." They come in two pieces. There is the U shaped bar that attaches to the cart and then the shafts slide into that. But since I have ordered two sets, one for Annie at 53" and one for Rocko at 48" I was able to compare them.
The shafts are exactly the same size, but the U shaped bar is what is 5" difference in length.

Willow thanks for the heads up on the shaft sets as I am looking at ordering them for my Kingston. I recently ordered a new singletree for it and had to retro-fit it because my cart is 8 years old. Hoping the new shafts will fit....

Marsha I hope you are starting to feel a little better. Is the hand showing any improvement? It's hard when we physically can't do things we want to do. I'm going crazy right now. One of the problems I'm having is chronic headaches which makes it hard to think. I can't take my minis out driving because of it.

I've been working the minis in the round pen a little bit. I'm starting them out slow because they are out of shape an my own limitations. It's so funny because the first day you really have to get after them to get them to go and you have to show them how you want them to turn around etc. But it's like they go and think about that first lesson for a few days and when you get them in the round pen the second time they go right to work. Everyone is getting the hang of it now so I try to get everyone in for a 15 min workout once a week. 7 minis -7 days in a week, it works out.

MC headaches are no fun. Feel bad for you! Keep hydrated.

I always think if I was suddenly very wealthy I wouldn't buy a bigger house or anything like that, but I'd hire a full time trainer to keep my horses worked. OK, maybe a covered arena. I only have 3 and it takes up a lot of time even though I really enjoy it.

He tweaked a few things and had me do the reins rough cheek instead of in the first slot where I had them which he said would make him bend at the pole. It is these little things that I would never know to do on my own. So all in all a good day. I needed one of those!

What do you mean about "rough cheek"? What kind of bit are you using?

He has a UTR bit. "Ultimate toungue relief." It has a high port and is similar to the butterfly but it swivels. Pricey bit that I bought for Kriss Kross when he was driving.

I was using the top slit and here is a picture of the rough cheek. He had to punch an additional hole in the reins to buckle it this way.

Attachments

• 20200929_102227.jpg
    20200929_102227.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 4
By the way...now that I have him all set up I can't drive because there is another uncontained fire and the air is so thick with smoke you cannot breathe and it is supposed to get worse in the next few days. Always something!!!!!

So sorry you are plagued with fires! Our local guys just headed out to your area last week for 21 days. Hopefully with help coming from many places they can start to get some containment. Living in a valley we get smoke and ash during fire season as well and I bet it's nothing like you are dealing with. How are the horses holding up?

I found a great home for one of my minis. My little Pistol who will never be a driver. He's a pasture pal for a mare who lost her buddy. He went to a really great friend of mine who i know takes better care of her animals than I do. It's a little bit of relief for me and she's so happy to have him. And he was happy as can be to meet his new friend and get pasture turnout.

They are getting the fires contained and our AQI has dropped dramatically. YaY! :D We have been just above the normal range for the last couple of days. I'm having to start all over with conditioning Rocko because we were just getting started and he has missed a lot of work. I am round penning him 3 times a week and either ground driving or hitching 2 times a week til he gets fit. Our first forecast for possible rain is for later this week, so hopefully that will get these fires out.

Great news MC about Pistol. Really good all around! 👍

Latest posts

Back