Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what's wrong with me. I am not motivated to drive at all. Mornings are pretty pleasant, so there is no excuse. I've been working on the ground a little with Midnight, brushing and grooming--just am not motivated to hitch. I rode my Ebike 10 miles today, so I don't think it's just plain laziness. Maybe I need someone to drive with me; my sister is too busy and my horsey neighbor is moving. Usually, I am fine going by myself. In a funk, I suppose...

Hi Marsha! I am much more motivated when I have someone to share it with or if I am working on a particular new skill with my horse. I started teaching Annie to pivot in the cart and we are also working on backing straight. She has mastered the stand finally! To be honest I was so looking forward to the play day, but I forgot how they set up courses that are challenging you to be thinking and problem solving on how to get around the course and remembering patterns. Do this and then do it backwards kinds of things while flying through it. I am wanting to work on basic skills and communication with my horse, not trying to remember where I am going and where I have been at top speed. I guess we all have different things that interest us. I'd like Annie to become a good solid trail horse and would like a second one too.

Today my friend came over and she rode with me for 50 minutes while we tooled around and then worked on some of the things I mentioned, so she could see what I was doing. It is fun to be introducing another person to driving, and because she is young; just turned 13 I feel like I am passing something on to her as the next generation of drivers here is non-existent!

I saw something on You Tube a while ago with a kid that belonged to a driving drill team with all these young mini drivers. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post the link. It was really neat to watch as they filmed some of it with a drone so you could see it from above.

Thanks Minidreamz! I guess it's been a long time since I posted a picture of Cappy. It's a flattering photo, he has his flaws! He's a funny little man. I have had him for four years and it's taken a long time to get to know his personality. My husband bonded with him immediately but for some reason he was indifferent to me. Finally that has changed. Cookies help :)

Last edited:
Marsha, you will get motivated again. I think we all are feeling that "funk" one way or another in our lives these days. Life has changed so much.
Working on the ground is productive. I've been doing alot of in hand and ground driving obstacles and agility things this Spring with the boys and find it more fun that just ground driving. I thought of you and a conversation we had here a year or so ago concerning teaching them to stand on pedastals. I think it was you that said once they learn to do it they can be pesty about it. Both mine kept trying to stand on things so I went ahead and taught them a command and gave them an object to stand on. They think it's great. I probably will regret teaching them because they ARE pesty about it but at least with a command I can control it. I hope I haven't created a monster!

Willow, I felt similar when we went to a schooling show several years ago. The courses were so complex (forwards and backwards and timed) and all we wanted to do was give the horse a postive experience and do some basic schooling. I felt like a fish out of water. I just could not do it. You did 100% better than me. I ended up driving around behind the trailers!

Willow, I felt similar when we went to a schooling show several years ago. The courses were so complex (forwards and backwards and timed) and all we wanted to do was give the horse a postive experience and do some basic schooling. I felt like a fish out of water. I just could not do it. You did 100% better than me. I ended up driving around behind the trailers!
A CDE would be easier than these! For those you get to study your dressage test in advance and you can walk the cones over and over the day before and you go through them in order! You can even drive your golf cart around the marathon beforehand and they are well marked. You don't show up and get 10 minutes to look at something, memorize it and go for it as fast as you can. Although, not everyone goes fast, because they are just trying to get around and not mess up because they ring a bell and you get disqualified.
What I would love to do is a driving clinic like the one Mindy posted about a while back. That would be my dream!

And my husband says he could care less about the challenges. There are driving trails and some hazards to drive on there and that's what we like to do best too. Just getting to drive somewhere besides home and around other horses is good. Annie was less nervous this this go around, but the extra excitement does help you make better times!

Marsha, you will get motivated again. I think we all are feeling that "funk" one way or another in our lives these days. Life has changed so much.
Working on the ground is productive. I've been doing alot of in hand and ground driving obstacles and agility things this Spring with the boys and find it more fun that just ground driving. I thought of you and a conversation we had here a year or so ago concerning teaching them to stand on pedastals. I think it was you that said once they learn to do it they can be pesty about it. Both mine kept trying to stand on things so I went ahead and taught them a command and gave them an object to stand on. They think it's great. I probably will regret teaching them because they ARE pesty about it but at least with a command I can control it. I hope I haven't created a monster!
Something about standing on a pedestal makes them feel so good. Their faces are so expressive--"look at me! I'm so smart and handsome!"

Finally drove today. I drove Dapper Dan, as I was in the mood for a very relaxed outing. Mornings are quite pleasant. Wheat harvest is going on now so we got passed by grain semi trucks and noisy trailers. We just moved over into the ditch while they passed. Of course, this gave Dapper Dan a chance to snatch some grass, but I didn't care.
We left the road and went off into a neighbor's pasture property. It's been a while since he mowed the path, so it was rather rugged, but beautiful and fun, and something differentjune drive.jpg. Ponied Midnight behind. We went 2.69 miles. Lovely drive.

I bet Dapper Dan was happy to get out. That picture is beautiful, at first I thought it was all trees in the distance, then I realized they were rocks.
DD looks sleek and shiney.
I never tried to pony mine. I don't think I would succeed at it. Peanut would be OK, but Cappy can be obstinate.

I bet Dapper Dan was happy to get out. That picture is beautiful, at first I thought it was all trees in the distance, then I realized they were rocks.
DD looks sleek and shiney.
I never tried to pony mine. I don't think I would succeed at it. Peanut would be OK, but Cappy can be obstinate.
Midnight is too green and Dapper Dan is too ornery to pony him behind Midnight. She keeps her place behind very nicely; I just cue her with the whip if she starts to come up beside. She gets a little impatient because Dapper Dan is much slower than she is, but that's too bad; she needs to learn patience. Dapper Dan has ponied many a pony over the years. Some are ornery and obstinate--he just digs in and tows them. After a time or two they learn the drill and are fine. I've never been nipped by a ponied horse, but one chewed the cart back rest; I had to have it recovered.
That is part of our little mountain range in the photo. Bigger than it looks. Auodads live on it.
I'm very happy we did not meet any rattlesnakes today. With the wheat fields being cut, that sometimes drives the snakes out into the open.

I took Midnight to a chiropractor today. Nothing special going on; it's been a year and I wondered how her body was doing after driving. He did a few adjustments, but said it was "just maintenance". The farm where we met was interesting. 26 peacocks, many strutting and calling. Also raised great danes. One was totally intrigued with Midnight. I wanted to have them stand next to each other, but his owner said he wouldn't stand next to a horse.midnight and thor.jpg

Today was the day to drive Midnight. I think it's been nearly 3 weeks since we were out last. Can't get anyone to drive with me, so we just went by ourselves. Hitched in the middle of the area, untied, as usual and she stood nicely. I had trouble getting the girth strap to buckle on the longest holes--how can this be when they are on dry lot half a day??
I ground drove a few minutes around the boulders and obstacles in the yard and then headed out for the road. Just to give a hint about trouble one can get into--I stopped to open the gate and laid the reins down. Took one rein and asked her to walk up through the gate. Oops. The slack reins wrapped themselves around the axle. She whoaed nicely and I had to unbuckle the finger loop, disentangle the rein off the axle, rebuckle the loop, and we were finally ready to go. What a good girl! Noticed she had gotten her tongue over the bit, so we had to unbridle and rebridle. She rarely does that now, but I watch for it.

There was quite a lot of traffic today, well 6 or seven vehicles passed us. That's a lot for our road! Because we had not been out recently, I turned her to face all the traffic. Of course, they all came from behind so she got some good practice turning. We did mostly walking.
She had worked up a little sweat by the time we got home and had a nice roll.

So Midnight has been midnight snacking? I thought she looked plump in the picture above. Cappy put on a "beer belly" this month and he gets no grass. I think it started with the new first cut hay. More work for both our horses is in the future?
She has turned into a great driving horse for you hasn't she? You should be proud of your accomplishment!
I'd love to see a picture of you driving her, can you get your hubby to take one sometime?

I would like to get a few of mine to a chiropractor here. I really should start making a few calls and see who works in my area and what they charge. I think Clementine would really benefit.

Our camping trip this weekend was fun but wasn't great for driving. The mountains up here are packed this summer as I'm sure they are everywhere. The camping spots we usually set up at were taken so where we ended up, while nice, was in a spot that had really steep roads. I did end up driving Candace for a bit but we were always headed straight up a big long hill or straight down. My horses just aren't in good enough shape to do that for more than an hour or so.

Sunday the wind came up and blew like crazy. We ended up moving our camp to a new location when one of our favorite spots cleared out. It was so windy we could stand on the bluff and watch tree after tree blow over. It was supposed to rain/snow overnight so we decided to pack up and head home. We're headed back out for a few days in the middle of the week (we left the trailer, it's only 30-40 min from home) with riding horses. I may take a mini and a cart since I can't be gone on an all day ride with a nursing baby back at camp. But I can go out for an hour drive and the driving is much better from our new camp site.

The horses did do about 6 hours of pony rides over the two days. Any time we were in camp they had a kid sitting on their back. My 3 year old niece is horse crazy (just like her momma was/is) and ate her dinner sitting on Blue's back by the camp fire. My husband just held the lead while he sat by the fire and Blue stood there with Halley on his back while she ate her dinner. We also took them on a few short hikes and down a steep ravine several times to get to the water. We could have hauled a bucket up but we figured it was good for them to go up and down the hill. And, being the lazy humans we were, we held their tails so they could pull us up the hill back to camp.

It wasn't quite what I expected but it was a good experience anyway. I think I'll take a mini camping every time we go.

Latest posts

Back