Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love your post NorthWolf. Moony on the treadmill is really neat. I love the sound his hooves make as he walks on it.

Willow Flats I have to agree with NorthWolf 100%. Taking them out for walks, hiking and introducing them to many new things without the cart is a great way to help them gain confidence in themselves and us as handlers. I walk with my minis all the time in between driving.

I also think driving him on his own as often as you can is a good idea. To keep reminding him he can do it and is good at it. I would put him in situations in which he has the time he needs to find relaxation. And then when he finds that, immediately stop, reward and if possible, put him away, or at least take all the pressure off.

My mare Sky is a basket case when driven in company and is great alone. So we do TONS of ponying behind Zorro when I drive him. She is getting so much calmer that I have high hopes I'll be able to drive her some more this summer with my friend Molly. Sky loves both of her mares so that is a great place to start!

Today we went on a 2 mile walk in the freezing cold. Both ponies did wonderfully. I was so happy with how happy they were to be out. And Sky was super calm and confident. She did give me mare face a few times. LOL! But at least she wasn't frantically trying to drag me and Zorro down the road! Whoot!!

IMG_0587.jpg Zorro so happy to he out!
IMG_0588 2.jpg
Sky making her mare face. LOL!
IMG_0615.jpg
Our freezing selfie! I was so cold! I was wishing for one of those knitted nose hats. LOL!!

Thanks everyone for all the driving stories, pictures and videos! They’ve kept me going during my driving-less time. Here’s some overdue updates on my mini crew:

My precious Coady is officially retired from driving...the breastcollar irritates his collapsing trachea if we’re not on a flat, smooth surface. That means arenas, fields and hills are all out. He might be able to pull the cart in the little park down from our house as it is paved, but since the accident he completely loses his crap when I try to ground drive him there now. With the mental and physical driving limitations, I’m just going to retire him from driving. It’s a shame because I have him almost totally voice trained and such a good little driving dude, but I have to do what’s best for him. He’s still a great little walking friend, hiking partner and in-hand jumper, so we’re going to do those things together instead! As others have said here recently, there more to do with minis than just driving ;)

Rosie the itty bitty rescue mini is a very petite 30” with hind legs that are slightly crooked due to the neglect that she endured in her first 5 years of life, so I don’t consider driving to be an option for her. Her royal highness is currently working on her in hand training...hopefully she’ll be able to mingle among her royal subjects at a few local shows this year in in-hand trail.

I don’t talk about Shasta much...she’s my first mini. She’s had so many health problems that at 16 (17 in April) she looks like she’s 26 going on 27 if not older. Thankfully I’ve found a good medicine and diet combo along with a really good farrier and she’s actually doing well. I was afraid I’d have to have her put down this winter and I’m very glad that she’s made a turnaround!

That concludes my mini herd at home! Now for my newest project...Eve! She’s a 41” tall micro pony that the owner of the barn where my riding horse is boarded rescued last September. I ground drove her last year and she’s a very smart girl. She took to it like a fish to water. She’s not afraid of the cart at all. I worked with her tonight for the first time this year (weather and illness) and she did great! She might be pregnant with a mini mule as she was in with an intact mini donkey jack last summer before she came to the barn. I’ve inquired about purchasing her as my new driving pony and if that happens I’ll have the vet out to determine if she’s pregnant or if she just has a hay belly! She’s a smart but stubborn girl. Her answer to not understanding is planting her feet vs Coady who’s reaction is offering everything he knows (backup, side pass, go forward....) or spooking. She’s a great learning experience for me and I’m really excited to see where we go! I’ll get pictures up soon.

I’m sure there’s more to say but I’ll conclude my novel here :p Enjoy a picture of PrincessA5FD04E8-24EA-4EFB-93F5-18C48C8FCAAB.jpeg Rosie in her new rope halter! I got it from Star Point Horsemanship and we both like it!

Mindy - Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement.
Minidreamz - Looking forward to seeing a picture of Eve and hearing about your new adventure.

Have a great day everyone!

Willow Flats, do you think it might be a noise issue with Kriss? If so maybe ear poms would help. It doesn't exactly sound like he's afraid of noise if you can drive him alone without a problem, but I thought I'd throw that theory out there anyway.

Aww, Rosie is adorable! What a kind eye she has.Pretty eyelashes!

Sorry to hear that Coady is now retired, but at least you have found a way to still enjoy his company. He sounds like one in a million.

I too am sorry to hear about Coady, but am also very excited about the bigger pony!! As you know 40-41" tall is my favorite!

Today Zorro and I went sledding. We had a blast. BUT the big sled, with the shafts, is just too heavy when the snow is heavy and wet. It is hard to pull and takes the fun right out of it. So I rigged up a single tree for the little sled and we had some fun with that one! But no shafts :( At least he could pull it though!

IMG_0628.jpg

Thanks for the compliments, folks :)

Love the pictures and videos Northwolf!
It must be a very strange sensation for them when they first get on a treadmill. Sort of like us when we first encounter an escalator.
oh yes, it was confusing the first time. They didn't unterstand that they had just to walk immediately, but now, they're all used to it and love it. I mostly use the treadmill only for 5-15 minutes to warm them up or to pass the time while I'm grooming another horse. It's amazing what simple regularly short treadmill training can do to improve the horses walking quality!

@MindySchroder I'm jealous - you have snow?!? What a fun... We didn't have any snow that season. One day, it was snowing but only a few minutes :rolleyes: I've built an extension to my cart to use it as a sled, and another extension to hitch three ponies on it (I already drive three-in-hand on my marathon carriage, but also wanted to try this on a small cart with sled skids).

I too am sorry to hear about Coady, but am also very excited about the bigger pony!! As you know 40-41" tall is my favorite!

Today Zorro and I went sledding. We had a blast. BUT the big sled, with the shafts, is just too heavy when the snow is heavy and wet. It is hard to pull and takes the fun right out of it. So I rigged up a single tree for the little sled and we had some fun with that one! But no shafts :( At least he could pull it though!

View attachment 40878

I got chilled watching your video. :) You always come to mind when I'm just about ready to make a u-turn to the house when weather conditions aren't perfect for driving. Thanks to you, I've had some fun times I would normally have missed out on!

I got chilled watching your video. :) You always come to mind when I'm just about ready to make a u-turn to the house when weather conditions aren't perfect for driving. Thanks to you, I've had some fun times I would normally have missed out on!
Oh I'm so happy that you found some fun in the cold!

Today Zorro and I went out in the little sled. He is much happier pulling it than the bigger longer sled with shafts. If a set of shafts would fit on this sled I would go that route but alas this sled is so small and lightweight that shafts would most likely damage the front of it.

I put a plastic crate upside down and then covered it with a blanket and sat on that! Zorro happily went down the road. We did 2 miles because he was really breathing hard and I didn't mean for this to feel like torture. I know pulling the sled is MUCH harder than pulling the cart. I also got out quite a bit and walked to give him a break. I know this is frowned on but we have been doing it this way for his entire time driving. I would be more reluctant to do this with Sky for sure! And there are many ponies I can remember driving that I would NEVER do this with!

Here is our video from yesterday:

IMG_0692 2(1).jpg

Oh I'm so happy that you found some fun in the cold!

Today Zorro and I went out in the little sled. He is much happier pulling it than the bigger longer sled with shafts. If a set of shafts would fit on this sled I would go that route but alas this sled is so small and lightweight that shafts would most likely damage the front of it.

I put a plastic crate upside down and then covered it with a blanket and sat on that! Zorro happily went down the road. We did 2 miles because he was really breathing hard and I didn't mean for this to feel like torture. I know pulling the sled is MUCH harder than pulling the cart. I also got out quite a bit and walked to give him a break. I know this is frowned on but we have been doing it this way for his entire time driving. I would be more reluctant to do this with Sky for sure! And there are many ponies I can remember driving that I would NEVER do this with!

Here is our video from yesterday:

View attachment 40884

Loved the video and the music! Thanks Mindy

Today Midnight and I went out with Tyrion (aka Buckly). We went a little over 5 miles. It was nice having my neighbor watch Midnight's movement and let me know how she was doing. She does have a long stride; her hind reach ahead of her front on the stride. Tyrion had to trot to catch up with her walk. We clocked 8.6 mph on a few trots. This is her longest jaunt and she didn't even have a sweat when we got home. I think she was a little tired, but not unduly. She and Dapper Dan took off at a gallop together for the far pasture when we got home. She was a very good girl.
Me sitting in the sulky seat for 5 miles--I had a little trouble after that!

Willow Flats, do you think it might be a noise issue with Kriss? If so maybe ear poms would help. It doesn't exactly sound like he's afraid of noise if you can drive him alone without a problem, but I thought I'd throw that theory out there anyway.
Hi Cayuse. I missed this. Thank you, you're right, we have to consider everything! He is good with noises so that's a plus.

Today Midnight and I went out with Tyrion (aka Buckly). We went a little over 5 miles. It was nice having my neighbor watch Midnight's movement and let me know how she was doing. She does have a long stride; her hind reach ahead of her front on the stride. Tyrion had to trot to catch up with her walk. We clocked 8.6 mph on a few trots. This is her longest jaunt and she didn't even have a sweat when we got home. I think she was a little tired, but not unduly. She and Dapper Dan took off at a gallop together for the far pasture when we got home. She was a very good girl.
Me sitting in the sulky seat for 5 miles--I had a little trouble after that!
wow, Midnight is quite fast! How tall is she? Nice to hear you had a long, enjoyable drive :) I know this issue when I sat too long in the sulky... *my back* :rolleyes:

I'm working on a fast trot with my mini Moony, as you know he's starting on pony races for the second season this year. We improved his trot immensely: I tracked max. 9 mph last year, this year we had already peaks of 11 mph. I think this is quite fast for a A mini (33.5"). The other ones have to canter when he's trotting that pace.

I worked with the team Teddy/Moony this weekend. They were great! Massai is having a team driving break actually, because he was too engaged and always "stole" all the work when he was hitched in a team. So my trainer recommended me to give him a little break from driving while working the other ones more, so they can learn how to pull with more engagement. The beginning was hard... they were both used to not doing too much, but now, even lazy Teddy is getting better every time.

I think Midnight can go faster but she does not know how to use her body in harness properly just yet. I keep her under control when she is trotting fast as she is so green; I may not have the skill needed to help her maximize her pace. I have not measured her, as it is not an issue since she is not registered. I think she is about 34", though; she is taller than Dapper Dan's 32". Her normal walking pace is 3.5 mph.
Interesting that Moony/Teddy are having to learn as a team. How fortunate that your trainer noticed what was going on. I think it is so helpful to have someone observe; it's hard to see most things when one is actually driving.

Our drive today was super fun! The road was a bit slick but we made it work. As we were trotting along I was going to have Zorro turn around at the 3 mile mark but Zorro decided he wanted to go off roading... so off roading we went! .

The snow was up to their knees. We went until we got to a drift that was belly deep to them, thigh deep to me and Zorro decided he had had enough. He is so funny. It’s no easy feat pulling the bike through heavy wet snow that deep but he was all for it!
drivinginthesnow.jpg

On the way back I asked Zorro to canter and he went straight into the nicest smoothest canter. I love it when he does that. Usually when we canter Sky does her incredible power trot but today she wanted to move her legs too so she started cantering. Then, she started galloping past us, bucking and snaking her head! . There was a moment of excitement until I steered Zorro closer to the ditch and Sky had to fall behind us. Then we were cantering up a steep hill and Zorro had to power up it. Sky always makes me laugh.

On the way down the long steep hill I got out and walked because it was super slick and I didn’t want my weight to be pushing Zorro faster than he could manage on the ice. When we got down to the corner where the neighbors horses are Sky let me know that she would like to roll please. So I let her! . What a goof! All the bucking and cantering must have got her adrenaline up and a good roll made her feel so relaxed. Zorr watched and when she was done he gave a good body shake and a huge blow out. Clearly he was receiving some relaxation from what she was doing.
skyrollingintheroad.jpg

These two. There is never a dull moment!

Today we started with some trailer loading. Last year he was getting a little nervous about getting in the trailer because every time he got in we went somewhere. So for the next two weeks I'll have him get in and eat a bucket of mushy feed and then get out. Sometimes I'll tie him and shut the door while he eats it and sometimes I'll just stand outside the back while he eats it. I want him to feel that he can come out if he wishes to at first so he isn't so anxious when I take him over to it.

Of course today he was awesome! LOL! He wasn't nervous at all. He stood and smelled the back of the trailer and the floor for a minute then hopped himself right on in! I tossed the rope over his back and let him do his own thing in there. I have removed all the dividers for now so he feels he has more room.

Then we went for a 3 mile walk. I drove him with one line and he did great. He is such a fun pony.

IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg

When I pony Midnight with the sulky I use the whip to cue her to stay behind us. She is faster than Dapper Dan, so staying behind is something she has to do that isn't natural. I just hold the whip out on the side she wants to come up on, and she moves behind us again. In the cart, I cross tie her behind the seat. I don't pony Dapper Dan behind her as I'm not sure how that would work out yet!

When I pony Midnight with the sulky I use the whip to cue her to stay behind us. She is faster than Dapper Dan, so staying behind is something she has to do that isn't natural. I just hold the whip out on the side she wants to come up on, and she moves behind us again. In the cart, I cross tie her behind the seat. I don't pony Dapper Dan behind her as I'm not sure how that would work out yet!
Marsha, I would love to see a photo of what your cross tying Midnight to the cart looks like since I have never done this myself. Just if you think of it and have time one day.

Finally getting some pictures of Eve posted! She had her first hitched drive yesterday and she was a little champ! The vet will be coming out soon to find out if she’s pregnant or is she just has a particularly chubby hay belly!

Attachments

• F10419FA-48CA-444B-909B-D86EE4C4EE30.jpeg
    F10419FA-48CA-444B-909B-D86EE4C4EE30.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 4
  • 0E772250-52DD-4709-8778-05418FA276B2.jpeg
    0E772250-52DD-4709-8778-05418FA276B2.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 253BD60D-768C-4B0F-8457-E94EF3D8F6ED.jpeg
    253BD60D-768C-4B0F-8457-E94EF3D8F6ED.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4
Finally getting some pictures of Eve posted! She had her first hitched drive yesterday and she was a little champ! The vet will be coming out soon to find out if she’s pregnant or is she just has a particularly chubby hay belly!
Yay!! It looks like your harness is fitting her very well :) I'm so excited for you and for her!

Latest posts

Back