Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took Midnight to town today to drive with my sister. She drove her Jackie O. I didn't put the bells on Midnight as I wanted to keep it simple for her. Lots of excitement with so many horses at the boarding place! She settled down well, though. Stood untied for harnessing, as usual. We took off for the neighborhood. We stopped to let people pet the horses. My sister gave rides, but I didn't do that with Midnight. She was fine with the light traffic. We had a steepish hill and she braked with the breeching fine. Some Canada geese on the park lake were not good, but she didn't lose her mind, just showed that she did not like them. A Santa on a Harley passed us and she was fine with that. On the way home there was a very aggressive dog that barked at us. He was on a chain. She has been barked at by lots of dogs and doesn't mind them, but this dog had a "predator" bark. She did not like him. When we got back to the boarding pens, I took Midnight into the pen where my sister is feeding 3 half grown steers. One was bottle raised and very friendly. He came up and touched noses with Midnight. She wasn't bothered by them at all. My sister's horse was tired and sweaty, but Midnight was not tired at all and not sweaty. A very good outing for her. And I was so pleased with her nice "presence" in harness. She also showed some nice gaits today, and transitioned well. We did quite a few turns on streets and she did those well. So happy she has her boots!

Took Midnight to town today to drive with my sister. She drove her Jackie O. I didn't put the bells on Midnight as I wanted to keep it simple for her. Lots of excitement with so many horses at the boarding place! She settled down well, though. Stood untied for harnessing, as usual. We took off for the neighborhood. We stopped to let people pet the horses. My sister gave rides, but I didn't do that with Midnight. She was fine with the light traffic. We had a steepish hill and she braked with the breeching fine. Some Canada geese on the park lake were not good, but she didn't lose her mind, just showed that she did not like them. A Santa on a Harley passed us and she was fine with that. On the way home there was a very aggressive dog that barked at us. He was on a chain. She has been barked at by lots of dogs and doesn't mind them, but this dog had a "predator" bark. She did not like him. When we got back to the boarding pens, I took Midnight into the pen where my sister is feeding 3 half grown steers. One was bottle raised and very friendly. He came up and touched noses with Midnight. She wasn't bothered by them at all. My sister's horse was tired and sweaty, but Midnight was not tired at all and not sweaty. A very good outing for her. And I was so pleased with her nice "presence" in harness. She also showed some nice gaits today, and transitioned well. We did quite a few turns on streets and she did those well. So happy she has her boots!
Saturday

What an outing that was, with exposure to a lot of different things! Sounds like Midnight handled herself very well. Happy for you two.

Sounds like you had a wonderful outing. Dapper Dan better watch out, Midnight is catching up to him with her good behavior! :)
He does get jealous, but he knows he's always the special one.
I've had Midnight since the spring. I'm really noticing a positive change in her. Her eyes are "outward looking" now. She is more confident. She is comfortable living here. At first she was restless and didn't seem happy.
When we were driving yesterday with Jackie O and at the boarding pen, I wondered if the two horses remembered each other and if Midnight remembered living there. She was only there 5-6 months. When we saw her at the sale; her tail was all cockleburs, right up to the top, and she was super scruffy. Not thin, though. My sister purchased her and I got Nugget at that time. I talked to Nugget's owner, but did not pay attention to whoever brought Midnight, so I don't know anything about her past.

I bet Midnight remembered living there. Years ago I had a little grade morgan mare that I regrettably sold. After being passed around to several owners she ended up at a place about a mile from me. The woman didn't want her as she had heaves and she didn't want to bother with it. I bought the mare back and started leading her home. When we got about a half mile from my place she perked up. By the time we were about a 1/4 mile from our barn she was just about dragging me towards "home". She knew exactly where she was going!
I'll never forget her nostrils excitedly "sniff sniff sniffing" more and more as we got closer to our destination.

He does get jealous, but he knows he's always the special one.
I've had Midnight since the spring. I'm really noticing a positive change in her. Her eyes are "outward looking" now. She is more confident. She is comfortable living here. At first she was restless and didn't seem happy.
When we were driving yesterday with Jackie O and at the boarding pen, I wondered if the two horses remembered each other and if Midnight remembered living there. She was only there 5-6 months. When we saw her at the sale; her tail was all cockleburs, right up to the top, and she was super scruffy. Not thin, though. My sister purchased her and I got Nugget at that time. I talked to Nugget's owner, but did not pay attention to whoever brought Midnight, so I don't know anything about her past.
I was just wondering about Midnight's past experience and where you found her after reading your post the other day.
Now I'm wondering if you know her age.

A short video of Midnight from a drive with my neighbor on Monday. She is the one who took Tereon (aka Buckly). She drove him, and tried taking a video of Midnight in motion. She is so good with Tereon (sp?); he leaps when startled and sort of takes off, but she is young and confident and handles him perfectly. She helps make him look good. So glad she has him now (and not me). This was taken when we just got started and her four dogs were running around us. Midnight had never met Tereon before either, so her head is up more than she usually carries it.

Took Dapper Dan out for a drive today and ponied Midnight. We got off the beaten track for a shortcut into unknown vacant land, just for something different. Grass and weeds were as high as their backs. Dapper Dan just plowed through. Midnight got caught in wire. I was keeping a sharp lookout so caught it right away. She stood quietly while I got her leg out. We made it back out to the road; guess we won't go adventuring there again.

Nice video of you and Midnight, she looks keen to move out and have a trot. She is a pretty little mare.

I have done nothing with the boys for a couple of weeks. We all had the flu here and the snow melted so the ponies have been loafing. We may get snow tonight so maybe I can get Cappy out for a spin before year's end.

Nice video of you and Midnight, she looks keen to move out and have a trot. She is a pretty little mare.

I have done nothing with the boys for a couple of weeks. We all had the flu here and the snow melted so the ponies have been loafing. We may get snow tonight so maybe I can get Cappy out for a spin before year's end.
Wondered what happened to you. Mud isn't good.

My problem has been wind. We had gusts to 50 mph. It has slacked off today, but, of course, I am busy now. Last night Dapper Dan stepped on one of my hens and hurt her foot. Everyone clusters around the barn at suppertime and she didn't get out of his way. She's hobbling around today, poor thing.

We were supposed to get snow with this latest weather pattern. I bought one of those plastic kid saucers, hoping to have some snow fun. We don't get enough snow to use a sled. No snow for us. Just a lot of cold wind.
Cayuse, you are actually lucky that your property "perks". We had to have a lagoon here.

Hi to everyone! And a happy new year!

I am still alive and I think it's time for me to join the forum again :) I've missed you all! I've had a lot of work last year and not very much time, but we still drive a lot.
Sadly we had to let go our oldest pony Prince. We had to put him to sleep on nov 19 after he haven't eat for about 3 days and none of the vets I've called have found out why. They think he stopped eating because of his seniority: Prince was 37 years old. We still miss him and he leaves a huge gap in our barn :( His best buddy Domino, who is 33 years old, was very nervous after the loss of Prince and needed a lot more attention. He's now accompany my three minis and me on every evening walk, so I'm often on road with 4 ponys at the same time :eek: it's a little bit messy, but it's fun too :D
We have now a trainer to improve our driving. He's a pro in driving 4 in hand (he was in the top ten of 4 in hand world championships last year with his welsh ponies). We're learning a lot! Driving in an arena is new to me and my minis. We are still struggling with the balance of the work power of the team. Teddy is such a lazy boy when he's hitched in the team :confused: but we are getting better every time and improving step by step. We won a little combined driving class last september, I was very surprised about that!
To enjoy more mobility, I've bought myself a new trailer. I can now load up to 5 minis and one carriage at the same time to the trailer. It's definitely less stress for me to go to the driving trainings and events now.
Moony finished his first trot racing season last year with two 6th places (out of 15 starters). He's getting better and more self confident every time! He's still starring at creepy things, but he didn't try to runaway again. We are very looking forward to the race season 2020.
As you maybe know, I'm not only a passionate driving, I'm also a very enthusiastic runner and I love doing sport. So I connected my hobbies a few years ago and took my minis with me when I'm going out for running. I've enhanced it from 4 times a week to 6 times, and finally enhanced my routes :D so I'm actually on an average of 35 miles a week (counted only the running). 2019's summary was higher than any year before. I've logged all our activities (including running, hiking, driving, treadmill, normal walkies, ...) and made a summary and it looks like this:
upload_2020-1-15_16-48-18.png
I'm very proud of my little boys! Hopyfully we will continue like this in 2020.

Of course I will join again the driving challenge (I think we're not the most active drivers, but we will try to keep up with you all!).

Greetings from cold Switzerland! Anna

WOW @Northwolf! Your list is so impressive! I wish I could run with my ponies but my body was never meant for running. LOL. I'm so sorry to hear about Prince. It sounds like he lived a very long happy life with you. HUGS to you and all your ponies!

Northwolf, sorry to hear about Prince. Is he the pony that you drove in a team occasionally last year?

I hope that you continue to log your driving hours with us.

Last edited:
I tried to do what Mindy did: take both of mine ground driving. It was not successful. They are too mismatched in their gaits and Midnight is too scared to get close to Dapper Dan because he is so bossy. I might try again some other time.

Well, at least you tried Marsha! I don't even want to consider the outcome if I tried to put Cappy and Peanut together. It would be ugly, I'm afraid. They are enemies. Their gaits are very different, too. Peanut is bouncy and has alot of action. Cappy moves very long strided and low headed.
I had Cappy in the sled yesterday for one last trip before our snow gets washed away tonight with a rain storm. Peanut was quite sick for a week so I was too busy with him to be able to enjoy the snow we got last weekend as much as I had hoped to.
If anyone is so inclined, some good healing thoughts for Peanut would be welcomed :)

I don't think my two are really going to bond. Iv'e been waiting for my driving area to dry out from the last rain and worked on trailer loading every day this week because I needed to bring my two minis to get their teeth floated yesterday morning. I loaded Annie (my new mare) first because she is the more confident of the two. When I brought Kriss in she immediately whirled and proceeded to give him both back feet. It's a bummer because I had to use the divider, where my original plan was two horses in the front and carts in the back for future driving excursions. The upside is I didn't catch a hoof and they both have their teeth done.

Latest posts

Back