Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)

My sister came out and we drove over 3 miles. Mostly walking as the terrain was rather rough. We ponied Midnight and Nugget. Got home before the day warmed up too much. Then I ground drove Midnight a little and put her in the sulky. My sister put the lead rope on her while I rode in the sulky and drove. Midnight did very well.

I drove Midnight today! All in my small confined pasture, which is out of sight of Dapper Dan. I think it is about 2 acres. I got my courage up and got into the sulky seat. She did pretty well. I really do think I need to get the chiro out for her, though. She has quite a lot of trouble turning left.

I was going to ask you on the other thread if she was in the sulky or the cart. I am so happy that she was a good girl for you. Did you take her out for a jaunt with the golf cart first?
Having an enclosed area to work in is so helpful. I temporarily divided my field two weeks ago so I could have a place to drive Cappy that was a little!bigger than the small paddock but not too big.

I have not put her in the cart. The sulky is so much easier for me to control and it is lighter weight. We are not working on smooth terrain and I don't want to frustrate her. The pasture is pretty smooth; mowed short and the biggest holes have been filled in.

No, we did not go in the golf cart first.
There was a large turtle crossing our path at first and she jumped, but did not actually bolt.
Always makes you wonder about the past of a sale horse. Besides those two white areas on her back that look like old bites, she has a broken bone on her nose that did not heal properly. Vet checked it out and saw no problems. I have texted the chiro to see when he is in our area again.

I drove Midnight today! All in my small confined pasture, which is out of sight of Dapper Dan. I think it is about 2 acres. I got my courage up and got into the sulky seat. She did pretty well. I really do think I need to get the chiro out for her, though. She has quite a lot of trouble turning left.
Yay! Glad to hear of this latest accomplishment. Good for you two!

I had a pony with a broken nose/cheek. He came to me that way and I didn't notice it for awhile. I'll post a picture of him when I get to the other computer. He had a dent under his right eye. He was also stiff on one side. I think it was the opposite side of the old injury, maybe from compensating somehow when it was hurting.
Sounds like Midnight was very reasonable about the turtle. I would've startled a!bit too!
I wonder if the white spots on her back are from an I'll fitting harness in her past? Cappy has an old one right where the saddle sits.

I had a pony with a broken nose/cheek. He came to me that way and I didn't notice it for awhile. I'll post a picture of him when I get to the other computer. He had a dent under his right eye. He was also stiff on one side. I think it was the opposite side of the old injury, maybe from compensating somehow when it was hurting.
Sounds like Midnight was very reasonable about the turtle. I would've startled a!bit too!
I wonder if the white spots on her back are from an I'll fitting harness in her past? Cappy has an old one right where the saddle sits.
She is hard to photograph because she is so dark. btw, do not think she is black; she is definitely brown. Black bay? Anyway, tried to take a picture of the white marks, and the bump on her nose. The bump is, luckily, not in the way of tack. I'm pretty much positive she was never ridden with a saddle or driven. She came through the sale without even a halter. Her tail was full of cockleburs all the way to the rump. Sun was down already; I might try again tomorrow in sunlight. She has a beautiful, glossy coat now and even a few dapples. Also, she is very afraid of camera flash. Will have to work on that...white hair.jpg nose bump.jpg

The first thing I noticed is her dapples! She is a pretty color. Maybe what they call around here a "seal brown" because they are dark and slick like a wet seal?
She is lucky that you and your sister went to the auction that day :)
Her white spots are in a different spot than Cappy's. His is right on top about an inch behind his withers.

Peanut gave a cart ride to two little boys, age 3 and 4.5, from New York City yesterday. They come to visit their grandparents every holiday weekend and we promised them a cart ride last winter. Peanut was super. Dan (hubby) got in the cart with the kids and I walked at his head. The youngest one actually was able to steer Peanut, who was VERY cautious and moved one. step. at. a. time.
Poor kids never want to go home to the city and I can't say as I blame them.

The chiropractor came out today. Dapper Dan had a few minor issues; he was surprised at how good DD is for his age. Midnight had ribs out, lumbar, pelvic, issues in her neck. Poll was pretty good. No driving for two days.

I took Midnight out today. We ground drove first and she was not great but improved. I hitched the sulky and ground drove. She wasn't perfect but not too bad so I got in. She went for a while then decided she was going to act like a prima dona, so I dismounted and ground drove her to the tie up. Took the golf cart and kept her at a good trot for 1 1/2 miles. I stop at my turn around point to check to see if she is okay and she is not even breathing hard. So back we go home. So, I hitch her again and ground drive some more. At the last, I got in and drove her for a few minutes. It was feistiness today; no sign of discomfort. I think the chiro session really helped her.
I have to say I think she is a natural driving horse. She took to the harness and vehicle as though she were born for it. Now, if we can work together successfully, we will be a good team.
I'm not ready yet to invest in a custom driving bridle, though...
She would LOVE going to one of those natural horsemanship clinics like Zorro attended!

My sister came out as planned. She drove Dapper Dan and we went out on the road. Several different terrains, which was good. I wanted Dapper Dan to be with Midnight the first time she went out of the property in harness. Midnight did very well! We trotted a few times and she came down to a walk easily. We stopped at a neighbor's to ask her to take pictures and Midnight stood very quietly for about 10 minutes.midnight july 16 2.jpg

I am so happy for you Marsha! And your sister looks happy for you, too :). Midnight looks great. DD doesn't look too shabby, either. Shiny fella!

Too hot here too. And very humid. I did ground drive Peanut on Monday when the sun got behind the trees. The weather is supposed to break tonight so maybe I can drive tomorrow.
The farrier came and trimmed them today. Thankfully we have fans in the barn, so the poor guy didn't over heat.
I am going to look at a cart in the next day or so. Dan has a friend whose wife had a mini and is selling her cart and harness. The cart is a wooden easy entry one. I saw it a coup!e of years ago. All I remember about it is that it's almost new. I dunno if I really need another cart though. It all depends on the price and if it will fit Cappy without being too heavy for him. He is in my metal cart now and it is working out for him. If this cart is really well balanced I might go for it. I dunno. It IS hard to find nice vehicles around here so that is another consideration.
And a stock trailer has co!e on the market near me. A four horse older Moritz. I might look at that. It would make transporting the cart a lot easier. I could load it in the back of the trailer. We have never had a stock trailer so it would take some getting used to.

That's about it in my neck of the woods.

A wooden ez cart sounds worth looking at. I have a Jerald Runabout, but there are so many attractive styles now. More than when I got mine many years ago. I might choose something different now; it was the only kind I knew about. It's been a good cart, but I've seen some that are more stylish.

We are supposed to get the cart measurements today. If it has the 48 inch shafts I'll go sit in it. I am hoping it has more leg room that my Kingston cart. I get sore hips from the Kingston cart because there is really not enough leg room for me. My husband is tall, but he says the Kingston has enough room for him. I guess it's a very individual thing.
The G and S cart I have has lots of leg room, but Cappy is too wide to it. Even since he has lost quite a bit of weight, he barely fits between the shafts.
Jerald carts are nice! They used to be THE cart to get when my uncle had his Morgans.

I think I decided against the horse trailer, Dan wasn't all!that keen on it. We had our two horse reconfigured to fit the minis two years ago and I think he doesn't want to have to think about trailer work again.

We are supposed to get the cart measurements today. If it has the 48 inch shafts I'll go sit in it. I am hoping it has more leg room that my Kingston cart. I get sore hips from the Kingston cart because there is really not enough leg room for me. My husband is tall, but he says the Kingston has enough room for him. I guess it's a very individual thing.
The G and S cart I have has lots of leg room, but Cappy is too wide to it. Even since he has lost quite a bit of weight, he barely fits between the shafts.
Jerald carts are nice! They used to be THE cart to get when my uncle had his Morgans.

I think I decided against the horse trailer, Dan wasn't all!that keen on it. We had our two horse reconfigured to fit the minis two years ago and I think he doesn't want to have to think about trailer work again.
The stock trailer wouldn't work for the cart most likely. I have a stock trailer with open back--I ordered it specifically so I could haul the cart. The cart rides in the back section and the shafts stick up into the air. Do not think a regular fully covered stock trailer would work to haul horses and cart at the same time.

Shafts are 50 inches by owners measurement. Do you think that is too long for minis? My carts measure 48 and 46.5 or 47.
I will measure it when I go see it. They may have measured to a different point than I do.
They sent me a picture of it, it looks similar too the cart DD is pulling in your picture of DD and Midnight. It has elliptical springs (?) I don't know much about those.

Hi there! It's time to let you hear from me. We are still alive! :) And I'm happy to be back, I'll read this thread after I wrote this to be fully updated of what's going on.

We are veeeery busy this summer. I had a holiday and the horses enjoyed their off-time (2 weeks) too. They're back in training already and I'm working them mostly twice a day. Plus, we have a treadmill now :D I hope to improve their strides and it seems it works great! Massai and Teddy are doing very well on the treadmill, Moony needed a lot of time and patience to get used to it. Finally, he's going safely on the treadmill and understood he had to walk. But no worries: my horses never walk longer than 15 minutes on the treadmill, it's just a tiny addition to their daily training!
Moony's 2nd race was on august 10. He behaved well! We found out he doesn't like the starting number boards which are fixed on the shafts. But though, he was doing very well on the racetrack. He got the eight place out from 15 starters again. I'm a very little bit disappointed because his start was very good and then, his young driver did not realize she drove on the outside border of the racetrack and the concurrents, who drove on the inside bande, were passing by... No problem, next time, she knows how to do - most importantly was, he did nor run away or bucking or something else. Just a lovely race horse on the track :) His next race will be on august 25.

I will do a change in my career (hopefully, in a few years): I'm going to be a horse hoof trimmer! School start is this weekend and the education will take 3 years. I'm very looking forward!

I have to share a lot of pictures in next few days :D

A photo of my boulder obstacle course. They work pretty well for turns. Not seen to the side is a target range and a pile of sand we keep on hand that make good obstacles. A farm pond is on the left with some scary water birds and plopping bullfrogs.

Attachments

• boulders.jpg
    boulders.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 9
Back