Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!

Had anyone here tried skijoring with their mini??

Thanks, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all too!

@MajorClementine no, but we drove sleigh in various combinations. Hoping to drive with a 3-in-hand cart with sled skids IF we have any snow this season. Actually, there's no snow and it's way too warm here :( mud, mud and more mud :rolleyes:

Well, we had a little snow so I tried Dapper Dan with the sled. It wasn't a good vehicle because of the metal runners--snow too thin and soft. If we'd had something like the otter sled it would have worked better. I was surprised that Dapper Dan had trouble figuring out what I wanted. We churned up some snow and got twizzled up a little in the traces until he figured it out. when we finally got onto a smooth place and he could get into a gallop it was great fun! Whee!! It's still snowing; if it gets colder we might try it again tomorrow.

Otter sleds are great! They are big enough to put in something to sit on. I use a small half bale of hay covered in an old blanket and it fits perfect. Warmer than sitting on the cold plastic. Plus easier to get I'm and out of the sled with.
Peanut had a hard time figuring out what to do, too. I think it was the lack of shafts that confused him.
Glad you had fun! Your snow will be making it's way here shortly.

My new harness finally came. I have not seen it yet. The gal that I ordered it through will come fit it soon. I am nervous that Peanut will not like it.

I ground drove Nugget today. We spent about 15 minutes going 50 feet at one point. He wanted to go back instead of forward. Finally I kept him turned in a tight circle until he was tired of that, then he went a few steps straight then tried to go back again. We did the tight circle that way. Eventually, he gave up and we continued our route.

Came South for some driving. Started off work Clem and her bad attitude. Worked through it. I thought we were only going to ground drive and be lucky if we ended on a good note but she got her head in the game and ended up hitching up and heading into the neighborhood. She was amazing!

Candace got hitched for a short bit after we got back and was still "wonder mini". But she has a new gear... High gear! Now that she's not pregnant she will trot all day.

Hubby drive Ferb the Fjord, dad drove Red the fox trotter.

Attachments

• IMG954329.jpg
    IMG954329.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 8
:)

DD IS fuzzy! Cappy is that fuzzy, too. Peanut isn't and has to wear a blanket or he gets too cold.

Did you drive today? I took Peanut out for some ground driving. We are supposed to get snow this weekend so I thought I would stretch his legs and get his mind back on work a little in case I want to take the sled out. Sometimes Peanut is a puzzle. He gave me his usual resistance to being bridled. If he is worked every day he is pretty good about it, but when worked sporadically, he reverts back to flinging his head around. He has had everything checked out teeth and ear wise and the bit and bridle are mild and comfortable, so it appears to be a defensive habit he falls back on. Makes me wonder what caused the behavior in the first place. Other than that little momentary tussle, he was happy to work. My husband would say of his antics "it's just Peanut being Peanut" and that's probably the best explanation I'll ever get of his shenanigans.

It was nice today but I didn't drive. I was going to hook some pvc poles to Nugget, like Zorro, but I had some computer work to do. I noticed this evening that Nugget seemed a little odd--big storm coming in around midnight, so I'm wondering if he is affected by the barometric pressure. I am out of prebiotic; guess I'd better order some. We are supposed to get winds over 60 mph with single digit wind chill. Got the animal waters filled and the hatches battened down.

We are getting the same storm on starting Saturday night into Sunday. It is supposed to be bad with ice, snow and high winds followed by frigid air. I'm OK with the snow, but the ice part scares me. A few years back we lost our power for 2 weeks from an ice storm.
Sometimes when the weather changes drastically, I give my guys some gas-x tablets for their stomachs. Or tums. They gobble them down like candy.
Stay safe tonight, Marsha.

Ground drove Nugget today. The first 20 minutes I attached the pvc poles. He did not do well. We got about 50 feet before he had a fit and it took the rest of the 20 minutes to get him back to the barn, one step at a time. If he took two steps, it escalated. But we made it back. I'll try to have some help when we do it again. Maybe I should have done the two mile ground drive first, but I was sort of thinking I'd do the ground driving with the pvc poles. He is improving on his rein response.

Marsha, can I offer a little unsolicited advice? If this doesn't suit your style please just disregard. I suggest the next time you drag the pvc yourself so Nugget can get used to the sound of it before he has it attached to him. I tend to break things down into small increments. First I drag the poles as I lead the horse, with me between the horse and poles. Then when that is a boring thing I will drag them myself as I ground drive. Its kinda awkward and I usually tie a rope between the poles and hook it over one arm so I can handle the reins and still drag the poles. My poles are in a travios set up with a short pole between them at the back but even dragging a single would help maybe. That way if there is too much stressing I can drop the poles and drive on and then circle back and try again.

Thank you, reignmaker. I have dragged poles with him before, but it has been a while and I had a helper. This time I thought I could do it myself. The first 50 feet were fine, and I thought we were going to do fine; then he lost it. I could not turn loose of him to slip the loops off to release the poles, and I decided anyway that if I took off the poles he would consider himself the victor. We advanced one step at a time; I wanted him to know that he would stop when I said so. Luckily, my husband came up then and watched until we got back to the halter area, then he took the poles off while I held Nugget. He is not a "horse guy"; he doesn't know how to help. I've learned from the past not to get him to help with training. But it sure was nice for him to be there to remove the poles!

Hehehe, sometimes even those who aren't able to really grasp how to help with training can be a BIG help by offering a second set of hands. Your Nugget sounds a bit like my "problem child" , when he does well he's a star but some days its like he has taken a huge step back in his skill set. Mine has been hitched and driven and gone very nicely but he has also had an absolute melt down over something new that should have been easy. Keeps it interesting that's for sure.
Regarding the 'stop when I say so' I hear you. I don't like to stop until my objective is reached but I will back off and come back to it as many times as I must to get some kind of win. When the horse throws a fit I am happy to just let him walk away from whatever set him off and circle around until he is calm then go back and try again. Sometimes tho a person is forced to recognize that on this day their 'win' is not what they initially aimed for and you just have to drive them thro the storm and finish when you can.

We had Cappy out twice this weekend pulling the sled and moving manure tubs. I only ground drove him as he needed a tune up. It has been a long time since he has driven. He was a little strong to start but settled down.
Hubby got in the sled at the end for a short walk with many "halts" along the way as reminders to not get pushy. Cappy seemed pleased to have something to do.
My harness came today :) and it fits both minis just right.

@Cayuse What harness did you get? I'm sure you posted about it when you put in your order but my memory fails me. Glad it fits. Nothing better (IMO) than a new harness that is a good fit out of the box. I'm thinking I'm not going to get out of 2019 without ordering a MaraFun.....

Latest posts

Back