Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful weather lately. I finally got my neighbor to come over and drive Dapper Dan while I drive Rowdy. Rowdy is a mess by himself, but went like a lamb with his chum along. Here is a picture she took while in the whip's seat. She just kept laughing out loud. I think she is considering exchanging some of her big horses for little ones now!

Christa DD.jpg

Love the picture, Marsha! What a lovely trail! I am envious of that shiny coat!

Sounds like a great drive! Thanks for the photos and write up.
Was a blast considering
default_smile.png
I shared my video via FB with a Miniature Horse group and was reprimanded for basically being "dangerous" if someone honked at me. I responded I had a firm grasp on the reins if something happened... By which he responded "No amount of holding will help, sorry." (Sigh) I hate how the World Wide Web thinks they know our experience levels or our horses... Sierra isn't a bolter for one, two, things happen (she is a horse after all), but she was NOT getting away from me. She's so supple in her mouth I would be VERY surprised if she blew through my hands over a honking horn. The shafts comfort her, when she does startle, startling into the shafts quiets her down almost immediately. I kindly responded that "Horses are not new to me, nor is their flight response. Thank you for the concern though."

Don't get me wrong, I can understand his blatant "fear" for my safety if you will, but you can't really judge anyone's experience level on a snippet of a clip or a picture. Last thing I want to do is put my horse in utter danger, but I do want to be able to know what she'll do in a situation that is beyond my control. Treating it like its no big deal is the best approach I have found. Their mentality is so different if you're visually relaxed over what could be an earth shattering "lesson."

Last edited by a moderator:
How in the world can we take our horses out and about if we are scared of a honking horn?? I've often thought it would be a good ploy in an obstacle class to have a large cardboard dog set up along the route. (Or someone honk a horn as the horse is trotting through the cones!) That would tell the true driving horses from the arena cream puffs.

Rowdy looked askance at the big brown dog when she came up behind him, and even did a tiny bolt twice. I do think those pesky aoudads have caused most of our problems.

I think you handled your "reprimand" in a professional and constructive way.

Some people just like to be negative and be heard. The internet has given those types of people the perfect platform. I think you handled it wonderfully.

As for the honking being dangerous. If that were the case my horses would never stop running in their pasture. They spend the summers on one of two state highways. One has oil tankers driving up and down it day and night. In the winter they are next to a gravel pit. The heavy trucks and equipment there use honking to communicate. My horses would be more likely to be nervous if they were somewhere dead quiet.

I loved your video and thought your horse looked calm and very well under your control. I actually saw the video on the mini horse FB page and I guess I didn't read the comments... shows you how much stock I take in comments from FB
default_smile.png

The worst I've ever had Clem spook I think I posted here. We did her first parade and she had a huge team of drafts behind her and a semi-truck flatbed of hollering children in front of her. She was worked up but well behaved. Enter the dreaded drone. The announcers booth buzzed us with their drone and Clem was having none of it. She bolted forward (I was expecting it), I pulled back on the reins, she stopped her bolt, tucked her head, and pranced for a good length of the route. Like I said, worked up but not ill behaved. I was also confident in my ability to hold her back and her ability to contain herself. We know our animals and our limits and none of us want to have a wreck.

How in the world can we take our horses out and about if we are scared of a honking horn?? I've often thought it would be a good ploy in an obstacle class to have a large cardboard dog set up along the route. (Or someone honk a horn as the horse is trotting through the cones!) That would tell the true driving horses from the arena cream puffs.

Rowdy looked askance at the big brown dog when she came up behind him, and even did a tiny bolt twice. I do think those pesky aoudads have caused most of our problems.

I think you handled your "reprimand" in a professional and constructive way.
That was my thought. I giggled because I was like "Ok, bets are on!" I told my Mom she'll need to drive by "honking", not really to prove a point, but I DO want to know what she'd do in a situation that someone honked quite aggressively. Best thing we can do is expose them and as you said, separates the drivers from the puffs ;)! I can understand her concern since she doesn't know me from Adam, but I will admit it kind of popped my balloon. Seems like there's always one in the bunch! She was attentive, but not skittish.

I can imagine Rowdy would react with a pup nearly as tall as he is!

Some people just like to be negative and be heard. The internet has given those types of people the perfect platform. I think you handled it wonderfully.

As for the honking being dangerous. If that were the case my horses would never stop running in their pasture. They spend the summers on one of two state highways. One has oil tankers driving up and down it day and night. In the winter they are next to a gravel pit. The heavy trucks and equipment there use honking to communicate. My horses would be more likely to be nervous if they were somewhere dead quiet.

I loved your video and thought your horse looked calm and very well under your control. I actually saw the video on the mini horse FB page and I guess I didn't read the comments... shows you how much stock I take in comments from FB
default_smile.png

The worst I've ever had Clem spook I think I posted here. We did her first parade and she had a huge team of drafts behind her and a semi-truck flatbed of hollering children in front of her. She was worked up but well behaved. Enter the dreaded drone. The announcers booth buzzed us with their drone and Clem was having none of it. She bolted forward (I was expecting it), I pulled back on the reins, she stopped her bolt, tucked her head, and pranced for a good length of the route. Like I said, worked up but not ill behaved. I was also confident in my ability to hold her back and her ability to contain herself. We know our animals and our limits and none of us want to have a wreck.
Thank you!! I totally agree, a keyboard and a screen has allowed almost everyone to be an "expert" at criticism and pointing out everyone's flaws.

Oh wow, what a wonderful plethora of "desensitizing" in your own backyard! :D I love it!

Absolutely and fortunately, like Clem, Sierra is more of a "dance" in place if she gets spun up. She has spooked twice in cart (out on the trail) one was a dreaded purple bush and the other was a *GASP* a horse eating round bale hiding just inside the tree line. She's still a horse, but I wholeheartedly agree we know our animals, the limits and we know what situations to avoid.

~~

Farrier came today to trim the crew. They all did well. I asked my Mom if she wanted to drive with me for a couple laps around the driveway. After all, I want to invest more time into the mini's whilst mending. Pebbles (black/white) had her very crabby mare game face on... She cracks me up. She LOVES her job, so when she cannot partake, she's very expressive about it. Unfortunately only one harness fits Pebbles and Coal was wearing it. Thankfully I convinced hubby to jump on board with another harness for her ;)

Screenshot_20170510-083317.png

Screenshot_20170509-163823.png

At Lord Stirling CDE in NJ a few years ago there was a water obstacle as part of the marathon course. There were two approaches to it - down a slight grade and through a very shallow stream about 3 feet wide with post and rail along either side OR down a steep hill and into a pond about 18" deep.

My friend opted for the "easy" way. Her horse shied at the little trickle of water and caught a wheel on the fence. She was stuck until she could get him to back up, up hill!

I took the "hard" way. I was driving a pair that hadn't been in water before. The carriage pushed them down the hill and into the water. Once they were in the pond they were fine, trotted right out of it and back into it too.

2005_0424LordStirling20050091.JPG

This is not me. Linda Willis with her pair at the water.

My friend's horse took a dislike to blue flowers that were growing all over the park where the marathon was run. He shied at them all weekend! And he ignored the deer and wild turkeys!

2005_0424LordStirling20050048.JPG

Margaret with Brett. We still talk about the blue flowers!

You never know what will spook a horse!

Sometimes it's the most trivial things they'd never look twice at!

CDE's look like so much fun...

Took Coal, Sierra and Pebbles out for a spin again today. Pebbles pouted the entire drive and acted like "dead horse walking" when in tow with the cart. Definitely have to get her a harness since Coal is the steady Eddie I put my mom with. Very nice drive, gorgeous day.

20170510_155334.jpg

Very pretty drive, Squeaks!

When I pony a horse on my cart I cross tie a lead from both sides of the back of the cart. I found that if I used one lead, the hrose would sometimes run up beside me. But yours looks too well mannered to do that.

I envy you guys that can tie off to the cart to pony. After years and years of ponying pack horses and hearing "you never tie off a pony horse" I can't bring myself to do it. Honestly I think Major would do fine, he's got wonderful ground manners and leads easily. Plus he'd love to go with us rather than be left behind BUT it makes me anxious cuz it was drilled into me to not tie off. Total mental block on my part I know. Maybe one day I'll get over it. Sure would be nice to take both minis out at the same time. Maybe I'll have to make my son drive while I hold the lead of the pony horse for a few times....

Looks like everyone is out enjoying the spring weather. I'm heading out tomorrow to drive with my new plumes! Pics tomorrow!

The worst thing that has happened when I ponied behind my cart was the horse nipping me or the back of the seat. I will pony Rowdy behind Dapper Dan, but not Dapper Dan behind Rowdy. You have to trust your driving hrose.

Rowdy's new owner is supposed to be here the weekend of the 27th. It sounds like the perfect setup for him. Hope it all works out. Dentist coming next Saturday; I'm glad I can get his teeth checked before he leaves.

So glad you found someone for Rowdy. And how good of you to send him off with a fresh dental. I hope this gives you some peace about him.

As for ponying, I have that dreaded fear of the ponied horse freaking out and taking the lot of us down. Even though Major follows whatever Clem does and she's pretty dang level headed. Like I said, I'm totally in my own head about it. I really may have my son drive while I pony the other one. Or maybe a quick release type thing so I can unclip the ponied horse quick if needed. I like to always have an exit strategy in place.

I definitely want a safer way to rig the horse to the cart, a better quick release system, something. I'm very picky about who I pony with the cart, let alone tie to it. Pebbles is very "I want to drive and you're not driving me, so I'll just pout with my crabby mare face and act like I'm super tired" She does try and walk alongside me, so I'll definitely try your suggested Marsha! She's very somber about following, but I'd rather her not get a gash from the axle of the cart.

I've been lucky as I've convinced my Mom to start driving so I've been able to at least work two in cart and pony one, pending the mood lol.

Rainy day/weekend here, so no driving until Sunday (sigh).

Ponied Rowdy today for the first time. He tried chewing on the back of the cart at first so I had to tap him a couple of times with the whip. Then I just needed "aaaa" and he finally gave it up. We even passed some cows today. Dapper Dan trotted on, business as usual, so Rowdy didn't get too upset. He moved back and forth behind the cart, but never gave me any trouble. I've avoided driving DD in the heavier wooden cart, as I am concerned about his arthrtis and fragile stifle. Couldn't tell he was bothered at all after our 2 mile drive, so I'm going to quit worrying so much.

crosstie2.jpg

crosstie1.jpg

I have not driven since last saturday. Its been cold and muddy and I've been working with the other pony getting ready for a show that's coming up. Next week it is supposed to be nice and warm so I hope to get Peanut out then. I was going to try and drive Peanut at a show soon, but I don't know if we will be ready, the weather has kept us from driving as much as I had wanted to. It all depends on the day. I have never driven him in company so I have no idea if he will get hot in company or not. As a matter of fact, I have never driven in company either!

I can always ground drive him around he show grounds for experience and to feel him out. They have an obstacle driving class that I thought would be fun.

Marsha, I am glad to hear it is working out for Rowdy. What kind of driving will they do with him? I know you said he will be a part of a pair. Will it be pleasure driving or CDE's?

Have you started searching for another mini?

The couple who want Rowdy are older but experienced. They have a horse that matches Rowdy and she wants to drive him for their pleasure in the team. They have a ranch and she has driven all kinds of hroses, but now that they are older she likes the miniatures, but misses having a team. I think Rowdy will shine for them in a team. And he will be in a place where there is lots going on, which he loves. Dapper Dan is probably the one who will have the hardest time. I do plan to look for another horse, but with my poor success rate, I'm not going to be in a hurry.

Good luck at your show, Cayuse!

Thanks Marsha! I'm pooped out from polishing the pony, he has four high white socks and was pretty full of a!Springtime's worth of mud and crud. Hubby scrubbed his hooves me. They are pearly white but won't!stay that was long. I see my friend the ! is back!

Love how you ponied Rowdy with the cross ties so he can't get up along side or interfere with the wheels. Very smart. I imagine that Rowdy will be happy as part of a team. Some just need a teammate to be happy when working I think.

I don't know how anyone ever gets white to be white on a horse. I can never get all the dirt out of Major. I wash and wash and scrub and scrub and spray and soap and rinse but he's always got that dang grey dirt in there still....grrrrr.... How do you do it???

I had planned on driving today but then we got the county weed sprayer and sprayed our 5 acres of pasture. After that we went down to the barn and I trimmed the minis feet and decided that the wooly beasts needed clipped. Not an easy task when they are filthy dirty but I got most of the fuzzy long stuff off. Not the smoothest clip but I think, now that the winter coat is clipped off, I'll give them a bath on Monday and reverse clip their clean coats. It'll be easier to get more of the dirt out with the rough haircut I gave them today. I also hogged Major's mane all the way down because his is so thick and heavy. I clipped the top side then undercut it but then decided I liked it better just gone. I actually like when it grows back about 2" tall and I trim it into an arch from his ears to his withers. Like a tiny war horse!

Now that I've got them clipped so they won't sweat to death and freshly trimmed feet I'm hoping for a Mother's Day Sunday drive.

I discovered a wonderful item at the show for getting out stains on white markings. It is made by Vetrolin and called Green Spot Out or something like that. A friend let me borrow some and it worked great. Smelled good, too. Spray it on and wipe away the stains!

Ha! I made it out for my Mother's Day drive! We came home from church early because my son wasn't feeling well. So, since hubby worked all night then only slept an hour before making me breakfast, I put the boys to bed and headed for the barn. It was an almost perfect day for driving. The wind did get pretty gusty a time or two but other than that is was sunny, 70*F, and lightly breezy.

I put my new plumes on Clementine for a few quick photos in the barn. I started out driving with them on but after a few good gusts of wind I decided to take them off and attach them to the back of the cart instead. I am really happy with how they turned out and how they look with my sulky.

We started out a little rough since I haven't had her hitched to the cart yet this year. She was naughty and wanted to go go go and not listen to me. I have no one to blame but myself for her behavior. I decided that this drive we would concentrate on getting her to just relax and walk. It took us the first 20 minutes, and a small setback due to some children on bikes deciding it was fun to chase us whooping and hollering, to start to settle in. Another 10 minutes and she was relaxed and walking calmer and quieter than I think she has ever done for me. I was able to have a lose rein and not have her try to trot out on me. She just walked along happy and quiet. We even started walking over sewer access covers! She always balks and goes around those. But on our way home today she decided it was okay to walk on them.

Today was one of the most enjoyable drives I've had. I was also able to get my harness and new comfy fit "v" breast collar adjusted better. The rest of my comfy fit harness is waiting for me to pick up in Illinois in July.

Please ignore the rough haircut in the photos.... :p

20170514_131741.jpg20170514_140307.jpg20170514_141823.jpg

Back