Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone on the Forum told about the Pine Tar shampoo several years ago and I tried it. I think it is a wonderful shampoo for the horses. It does have a slight residual odor, but that goes away in a day or two. It is low sudsing, which makes it easier to rinse. All the little dark spots, possibly fungus, that I see after that spring clip go away. I use it on my dog also.

I am lunging Rowdy out in the open on a lungeline. I am not very good at it, but it seems to help. I believe that his biggest behavioral problem now is that he is buddy sour. I am not sure what to do about this. Without my corral, I cannot separate the two.

Giving them a mild workout when they fuss over something is a great method to let them "think" they're winning ;) I have a hard to load gelding, but at the end of a trail he walks right on...

I have to finish clipping Remi, poor guy is half clipped as I was dense and decided not to wash him prior to clipping... Thus making my clippers dull and useless. I got bucked off Easter Sunday and in a rare moment, tried to catch myself, broke my humerus shaft in two on my left arm. So, clipping is about all I can do right now. Surgery was the following Wednesday so I can't have anything yank/pull on my mechanically fixed arm until he heals completely. So much for working board off
default_sad.png

Giving them a mild workout when they fuss over something is a great method to let them "think" they're winning ;) I have a hard to load gelding, but at the end of a trail he walks right on...

I have to finish clipping Remi, poor guy is half clipped as I was dense and decided not to wash him prior to clipping... Thus making my clippers dull and useless. I got bucked off Easter Sunday and in a rare moment, tried to catch myself, broke my humerus shaft in two on my left arm. So, clipping is about all I can do right now. Surgery was the following Wednesday so I can't have anything yank/pull on my mechanically fixed arm until he heals completely. So much for working board off
default_sad.png
O my gosh, that is terrible! Hope the bone heals quickly. Ouch!

I clipped both of mine dirty. Too cool here for bathing. I have 3 #10 blades. When one gets warm, I switch to another. A drop of oil each time on the blade. I've done both horses with the 3 blades now. I was told it was best not to keep using the blade when it gets hot. Hard on the blade and hard on the horse. Possibly your blade drive is worn out on your clippers? That will prevent it from working properly.

Thank you, me too... I'm impatiently waiting for the day the doctor says I can start lifting things. The plate and screws gave me my mobility back, but I still can't physically do anything with the arm. Between a busted up ankle and a broken arm, I think I'll take the broken arm having had both now. Frankly, neither would be best, but when I get hurt these days, it keeps me down for awhile. The horse that bucked me off has never bucked a day in her life, not entirely sure what happened... but I'm mending, that's all that matters :p

It's very possible the blade drive is worn out, I was clueless when I bought them and probably abused them without really knowing. I never clipped more than a bridle path until I got mini's. I have the "Kool blades" spray to help them when they start to overheat and take breaks, but still learning.

Jeebuz Squeaks! Sorry to hear about your accident. Heal up quick! Don't over do it and knock the hardware loose.

About the blades, I used Cool Lube while clipping once and it seemed to make my blades dull. The new blades didn't last through one clipping. I may have had a bad set of blades but I really think it was the cool lube.

I pour some Oster Blade Wash in a jar and drop the hot blade in, rotating my 3 blades. But on the second horse, I didn't have any Blade Wash, so I just let the blade cool between use. It worked out all right, but I think the Blade Wash helped.

The blade drive may be your culprit, Squeaks. I send my blades to North Tails Sharpening. He has all the parts for clippers, so I just order a new blade drive every year.

I forgot to look on the can of Blade Wash to see what the ingredients are.

I have a question about Rowdy. Yesterday when I took him out to ground drive I decided to do something different. I carried no whip and we did not do any intensive work. We did a few circles/figure 8 as we walked along. A couple of backing, and a few trotting transitions, but all in a very easy, quiet way. He did start a slight bolt at first when he saw a large neighbor dog, a dog he has seen a dozen times (glad I had no cart), but after that his shies were minimal. (It was big and brown like an aoudad; maybe that's what he thought it was).

I keep going farther back to beginning training with him.

When we got home and I put him up, I was working in the pen and he kept coming up to stand close to me. I would move him out of the way to rake manure, and he kept maneuvering to stay close to me. I scratched him with the rake a little (he loves that).

So, I am thinking he is a horse that just cannot take pressure. I've had him almost 2 years, working with him in all kinds of situations. Though he appears to be the most laid-back horse you've ever seen, he still doesn't react to pressure well.

Would he be suitable for someone who wanted to drive in an arena, or should I give up trying to move him on to a general driving home and find a pet home? I've had some interest him from the sale sites, but they were not good matches for him. I believe he has bonded with me, so now I'm feeling like a meanie for thinking of moving him along.

But if I can't drive him out on the road safely, he just won't work for me. I can't afford to keep a horse that doesn't work for me. Since Dapper Dan is 20, I need a younger horse to drive. Two horses is my limit.

It is a dilemma.

Squeaks! OMG! So sorry to hear about your injury! I hope you heal quickly and get back to the things you enjoy.

Hey, Cayuse - New clipper blades have a coating on them to protect them before they're sold. They need to be soaked in Blade Wash for a few minutes before being used the first time.

I've also had a problem with Cool Lube making blades seem duller.

I use the cheapest blades I can find (Wahl's) ordered from Pet Edge for a discount. I get them sharpened by Fort Worth Shaver in TX. They recondition my clippers too. I always put my blades in Blade Wash between clipping. I don't usually bathe before the first clip of the season, just too much hair! I don't expect that first clip to look show perfect though.

How is it that horses always know when we decide to rehome them? As soon as the ad is out they're all lovey!

You can't be responsible for what the new owners will do. They may say they only want to drive once in a while in the ring. Next thing you know they're complaining because he doesn't drive in parades! You can only be completely honest with buyers and hope they listen.

I gave a mini to a friend as a companion for her mini warning her that he shouldn't be driven. More warning than I got when I bought him! I was assured he was a lovely driving horse. After he reared and plunged, and dragged her around her arena while ground driving a few times she finally decided I was right about him.

Kool Lube and other blade sprays are terrible for you blades. As a groomer with 13 years under her belt I can say with confidence that those products do way more harm than good. Switch out a blade that is getting warm and put a drop of oil on the cutter and guide track. They will last a good long time
default_smile.png

Squeaks so sorry to hear about your injury! Hope you heal quickly.

Marsha- I think all you can do is be honest about Rowdy. He does have driving experience and may do really well with someone. But may also make a really great companion for someone. I get anxiety about things like that too. I want to be honest with people but I don't want to mislead or discourage them either. I think letting them know what you have done with him and what his pitfalls and and gracious qualities equally are is most important and then let the decide if he's right for what they are wanting.

I haven't driven because it won't stop raining. I'm pretty sure we'll be under water soon...

Marsha, would you condsider a "lease with option to buy" for Rowdy with someone, if they seemed to be a good fit with each other?

That way if it did not work out or you were not comfortable with the situation, you could bring him home, and if it did work out you could proceed with the sale.

Leasing is a pain and not without its own set of problems, but it might assure a good fit for Rowdy and his new owner in the long run. And you wouldn't feel like a meany :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to make another post, but I forgot to ask a question. I want to put my holdbacks on my cart with a snap so I do not have to wrap them every time I hitch. What kind of snaps do I need and do I keep the snap on the holdback or put the snap on the harness and snap IT to the holdbacks on the cart?

I THINK I might be able to hitch Peanut by myself now, but the holdbacks are hard because of my arthritis and he gets impatient. We are working on the patience part, too.

Thanks!

I like to use quick release snaps because they don't catch things they shouldn't, they don't come undone unexpectedly, and when you need to get them undone you can easily with one hand.

The snaps go one the holdbacks which remain on the cart then you snap them to the rings on the harness. At least that's how I do all of mine....

I just put quick release holdbacks on all of my carts. Got tired of wrapping....

Thanks for explaining where the snaps go. I will check out the quick release snaps. Hopefully they will make things much simpler. Wrapping and buckling holdbacks are the hardest part of the process for me.

Although girths are hard, too. I got Peanut stuck in the betathane harness once as I could not undo the girth NO MATTER HOW HARD I tried. It wasn't budging. Hubby was home so I rounded him up to fix it. Peanut was peeved with all the pulling, pushing and hauling I did trying to get the darn buckle loose. The more I worked at it the more he bloated and around we went, lol. Poor 'nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hhave the same problem with my hands and the holdbacks. my husband has mw doing some exercises with a small racquet ball, he thinks it will give me more strength nd agility. i will let you know if it works

i hhave the same problem with my hands and the holdbacks. my husband has mw doing some exercises with a small racquet ball, he thinks it will give me more strength nd agility. i will let you know if it works
Thanks!

It is so frustrating not to be able to move my hands fast enough to get things done. I know the horse should stand and be patient to hitch but sometimes when they are "a work in progress" it would be nice to be able to get things sorted out quicker.

I did not get the snaps MajorClem suggested yet, its on the "to do" list!

I've had several calls about Rowdy and I think he is going to AZ to be part of a team of driving horses for a very experienced and knowledgeable couple! I'm so hoping this happens for him. They have a pinto that matches him and she prefers to drive a team. I believe he would fit perfectly in a team. Couldn't have asked for anything better for him--except a shorter trailer ride. I was dreading the thought of him going back into a pen as a pasture ornament.
A few people I talked out of him; he was not what they needed. I told them about AMHA, so they could perhaps find out more about the horses. Most were looking for a cute pet. One or two wanted my cart (shown on the site with Rowdy hitched).

I hope the AZ thing works out. If so, it just reinforces my experience that I am not always the best, last home for my horses.

Hubby got to drive his new mare (That he found and asked me to go pick up for him lmbo, pending my approval) She is an awesome little girl. 12 y/o double registered who is essentially green broke to drive, but pretty savvy and loves her job. The lady I bought her from was absolutely wonderful. She gives mini's a fresh shake at life. She bought Pebbles from her friend who felt she was too much for her, but she just loves to work, easily managed, but loves her job. Hubby was mildly flustered she was so sensitive to steering, but he'll learn to appreciate it ;)

Sierra was ramped up for the first 10 minutes or so, required me driving from the ground because of it. Arm is mending well and I love that I don't have to have a cast on it lol. They both did incredibly well with very rude motorists. The road where the pictures were taken are not generally frequented as there are maybe 5 houses that people actually lve in, but we had about 8 or so cars pass us in our travels in the small neighborhood. One of which was a State employee (VDOT) that blew by us 10mph+ easy. Fortunately both horses (I was unaware if Pebbles was) are traffic safe.

Crossing the "main" road is becoming increasingly challenging, people are rude and exceed 50mph on a 40mph road. They don't (generally) slow for livestock and/or people. Fortunately Miss Sierra was amazing as she stood about 2 1/2' from the road as traffic blew by. Pebbles did incredibly well as about the time hubby reached the road is when I realized I didn't know if she was traffic safe! She spooked in place and waiting for his guidance. He's smitten and I'm happy he is. Of course, my soon-to-be-gelded Dakota is absolutely madly in love with her and can't stand the fact she isn't interested in him (The are securely divided, but they can still touch noses)

18222174_10156804625522228_3215198590109469433_n.jpg

18221961_10156804625897228_7942846171935313021_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back