Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly Cappy! That's what I thought Clem was going to do last week. It's strange how one day they get a bee in their bonnet!

Okay I have to share.... Look what I just scored at auction. A Jerald viceroy! Wheels need new bearings as it sat in water (thus how it looks) and it needs a new dash and fender covers. But I'm in love!!!View attachment 40588
If you cannot get the wheels cleaned up, I took my Jerald wheels to be powder coated. I chose satin black, but there are many colors. They still look great and it's been about 8-10 years since I did them. Just an idea...

If you cannot get the wheels cleaned up, I took my Jerald wheels to be powder coated. I chose satin black, but there are many colors. They still look great and it's been about 8-10 years since I did them. Just an idea...

I love that idea. Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't even think of that and they would look so nice.

So...apparently today I bought two new minis. Yup, cause I didn't have enough already. I bought a blue roan paint and a grulla. Both geldings. Both about 3 years old and broke to drive single and double. I paid WAY more than I had planned to for the paint but I wasn't the one there bidding. My dad (who is currently in the dog house for it) was the one at the sale. The other horse I felt was the one for me when I saw his photos that dad sent me. I know it sounds dumb since I didn't meet him and he's still a scrawny 3 year old but I think there is something about him. I hope I'm right. Dad said he drove all over like a dream and came through the sale driving by kids and was calm as calm. I got him for a good price and I'm hoping to team him up with Clementine as he's closer to his age and I'm hoping a level headed gelding will help her.

I won't meet my new guys until Sunday so I'll have to wait to update everyone with pictures and my thoughts after meeting them.

Dad also picked up a Mare/Gelding Fjord team since we had to have one of our Fjords put down (high ringbone) this fall. Dad wants to try running a unicorn hitch with the 3 we now have. This fall should be one big driving adventure. Lots of ground driving and fitting new teams together.

Your gonna be busy! Which one did you really want, the grulla? Good thing they are both geldings...;) or you might have even more in your herd this Spring.
Can't wait to see them both!
Next year I should have your dad be my agent and pick one up for me. Probably would cost the earth to ship, but there are no options around here. Nothing.

Sorry to hear about your dad's horse. :(

Your gonna be busy! Which one did you really want, the grulla? Good thing they are both geldings...;) or you might have even more in your herd this Spring.
Can't wait to see them both!
Next year I should have your dad be my agent and pick one up for me. Probably would cost the earth to ship, but there are no options around here. Nothing.

Sorry to hear about your dad's horse. :(

Hubby is convinced I need to sell one or two of the drivers next spring. Maybe we'll figure out how to get one to you!

It'll be a busy fall/winter for sure but we're all looking forward to it. The one I really wanted was the grulla. He's kind of a scruffy ugly 3 year old right now but sweet as can be and drives. My dad loved the roan paint and my husband, who is at home and met the horses today, says he's an awesome horse. My son loves him too and was riding him around bareback. I'm just a sucker for the scraggly but sweet horses I guess.

And YES! Geldings this time. Every mini mare he looked at they told him was "exposed". So no promises one way or another but the last thing I needed was a pregnant mare.

MC grulla's are a nice color, one of my favorites. Do they have their winter coats yet?
I'm a sucker for scraggily too! Scraggily ease easy to fix :)

Marsha are you driving Midnight with blinkers now? I cant remember if you said you were or not.

Looking forward to seeing everyone"s pictures!

I drove Cappy twice this weekend and he redeemed himself. I even asked for an extended trot and got one. He didn't get over excited about it. I though he might. He did a nice pivot, too. Almost perfect to the right, but pivoting to the left needs a little work. He's trying though.

Tried the new minis out today. Blue Jeans is a driving master. My son took him out first and he did everything he was asked to do with the lightest touch. Then I took him for a bit and even my husband took him for a spin. I'll get pictures up soon. He did seem a little tender on a front foot when hubby drove him down the gravel drive but the new cart is heavy and not well weighted so he had a lot of weight on the saddle. Also, he has nail holes where you can see he had shoes on before he was trimmed for the sale (the Amish run shoes on their minis. They are the cutest shoes you've ever seen!). I'm guessing he's used to shoes and a little tender. My son hopped on his back in the barn after and he seemed fine. He may need front boots to drive long distances.

Peanut Butter is young. They said he was 3 but I think he's 2 turning 3 in the spring. He just looks like a scraggly 2 year old. He's flat backed still and needs some protein to fill him out. He acts really young too. He's a land shark. He dives for any food he can find and is fidgety when harnessing. However, once harnessed he's very responsive to the bit and gets to work...unless you pass tall grass. But these are all things that will come with time and teaching. He's a good natured little guy and I think we'll get along just fine. He's a bit stubborn but not a mean bone in his little body.

I'm hoping that Blue will make a good steady teammate for Clementine. He'll pull his share that's for sure! He's a stout and strong little guy! I can't believe how thick his leg bones are.

Peanut Butter has fuzzy winter/colt coat so I'll have to wait until next spring to see what is under there. He's got a light mane and tail but his mane doesn't grow much. It's thin and short. His forelock is only a few inches long. I don't think he'll ever grow a long mane so I'll probably hog it all the way to the skin when I shave him this spring and just keep it in a short mohawk.

I want to post a picture of Midnight in the cart. Please let me know what you think of harness adjustments. I need to punch a hole in the strap from girth to breast collar to shorten it. The breast collar can go up one more hole but that's it. Do you think it looks okay?
She was a little unruly today, for some reason. She did settle down a little at the end. We maneuvered in the mown area, went out on the road a little ways, then finished by going around the boulders.
I'm working a little on whip cues. She is really uncomfortable with a whip so I have to be very careful. I'm not using it all while driving yet. While doing ground work, I am tapping to get her to move. Rubbing it around on her. Just trying to get her to relax with its touch. She doesn't even like it if I hold it while we are longeing, so I end up laying it on the ground and just rely on body position to move her. We are only longeing at a walk mostly, and sometimes a little trot.
The new browband and throat latch made by JSRI. I think they do very nice work. What do you think of the fit of the bit and bridle?10-08 1.jpg 10-08 2.jpg

I'm kinda zero help with the harness (looks pretty good to me) but I just wanted to say how great she looks. You've done some amazing work with her!

OK, where are the pictures MC???? We need :) to see the new boys. Glad that you got to drive both already. Your friends will be lucky to get Candace, hope she likes her new team mate.

Marsha, Midnight looks wonderful. She is thriving with you. I think the harness looks good. Maybe the breast collar could go up one hole but its hard to tell as it is blending into her coat color and I'm not certain what I am seeing.

I want to post a picture of Midnight in the cart. Please let me know what you think of harness adjustments. I need to punch a hole in the strap from girth to breast collar to shorten it. The breast collar can go up one more hole but that's it. Do you think it looks okay?
She was a little unruly today, for some reason. She did settle down a little at the end. We maneuvered in the mown area, went out on the road a little ways, then finished by going around the boulders.
I'm working a little on whip cues. She is really uncomfortable with a whip so I have to be very careful. I'm not using it all while driving yet. While doing ground work, I am tapping to get her to move. Rubbing it around on her. Just trying to get her to relax with its touch. She doesn't even like it if I hold it while we are longeing, so I end up laying it on the ground and just rely on body position to move her. We are only longeing at a walk mostly, and sometimes a little trot.
The new browband and throat latch made by JSRI. I think they do very nice work. What do you think of the fit of the bit and bridle?View attachment 40600 View attachment 40601
Hi Marsha - your harness looks good - I would only check the tightness of the martingale. It should be tight "enough" to assist in keeping the breast plate in its proper position when in draft.
The bridle is a tough one - very common issues with fitting a mini. The winker stay is too long. The blinds can rarely go up high enough on the eyes to have them centred on them, but due to the placement of the buckle above the blind, that can rarely happen, as it drives the brow band up under the horse's ears. I have no suggestions in terms of getting the one you have to fit right though. I make my bridles different than any bridle available, due to exactly this issue. You could look at getting a nose band made for the bridle, and you also have your bit up-side-down - you have the side cheek of the bridle hooked into the line ring, so flip it around. That won't change the fit of the bridle any, but it will put the curve of the mouthpiece at the right slope in the mouth.

Hi Marsha - your harness looks good - I would only check the tightness of the martingale. It should be tight "enough" to assist in keeping the breast plate in its proper position when in draft.
The bridle is a tough one - very common issues with fitting a mini. The winker stay is too long. The blinds can rarely go up high enough on the eyes to have them centred on them, but due to the placement of the buckle above the blind, that can rarely happen, as it drives the brow band up under the horse's ears. I have no suggestions in terms of getting the one you have to fit right though. I make my bridles different than any bridle available, due to exactly this issue. You could look at getting a nose band made for the bridle, and you also have your bit up-side-down - you have the side cheek of the bridle hooked into the line ring, so flip it around. That won't change the fit of the bridle any, but it will put the curve of the mouthpiece at the right slope in the mouth.
When I ordered the bit from Iowa Carriage, I thought I was attaching it the correct way. The bit has some grooves on one side and I was told those go at the back. I will try turning it around and see what happens. I do have a caveson; just don't bother to use it. I've read different opinions on its use. I just hate loading her up with more leather.
I know the blinder stays are too long; I can possibly send it to my leather guy and have them shortened. Her head is so teeny, it's a real challenge to fit her.
Thanks for your comments.

She is such a nice looking mare! I love your set up. She looks very nice with everything all put together!

Your bit is upside down, as mentioned above. The baucher cheek bit is a leverage bit in that it has a purchase, this is the part that the bridle attaches to:
two-loop-french-link-butterfly-purchase-420x494.jpg
This is the part that will apply some poll pressure when you lift the lines. I'm betting that she will go even better in your bit when you have it turned around! Also make sure to have the bend of the purchase going out, away from her face:
bowmanarchmouthbaucherfront-420x467.jpg
As you can see they tip every so slightly outward. It is so easy to get this part turned around as well and have those tipping in and pinching a little bit.

Don't worry!! I see people with their baucher cheek bits upside all the time. :)

You can get a set of smaller A size cheeks which will have smaller winker stays on them to better fit her tiny face. We made the smallest A size bridle I have EVER seen about a month ago. The brow band was 11" and the nose band was 15" around! It's so so cute on her little guy's head. He had been rubbing off his other bridles so custom was the only way to go!
tinybridle.jpg
He is so little he makes his bit look HUGE! That is a 3" roller mouth! LOL!

Also I'm wondering if you can set your saddle back a little bit further on her back? It should sit more on the flat of the back and not so close to the withers. I think this will also help her breast collar sit a bit nicer as it is kind of crowding into the saddle. Sometimes when they are so close together pinching can occur between the back of the breast collar and the front of the saddle.

You girls look like you are going to have so much fun!

I will try moving the saddle back. She has such a plump stomach I'll have to see how many holes I have to work with! And now she is getting all furred up, so it's worse.
When I ordered the throat latch, the maker needed reassurance that it was long enough, at 13".
I will work on the bit before we drive again.
I will think about what to do with the blinders.
Thanks everyone!

IMG_20191007_161052.jpg Here is my son driving Blue. My son is in love with this horse. He may be replacing Candace IF I can let her go to my friend. I make no promises. I may keep them both.

Below is Peanut. I didn't take my training harness down so I didn't have one small enough to drive him in. He's so scraggly still but should fill out over the next year. Can't wait to shave him next spring and see what's under that coat!

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_163044.jpg
    IMG_20191007_163044.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 9
Some people search for years for one good driving horse, and you have a whole collection now. One of my favorite things is taking a scraggly horse and watching him bloom. Thanks for the photo update.

Looks like you have two keepers there, MC :) Your son and Blue look look like a good match.
Does Peanut have any white on his face? He is a nice color.

Some people search for years for one good driving horse, and you have a whole collection now. One of my favorite things is taking a scraggly horse and watching him bloom. Thanks for the photo update.

It really is getting out of control around here. One or two of them are going to need to find new good driving homes in the next year or so. I can't wait to see how Peanut turns out. He's got a ton of potential.

Looks like you have two keepers there, MC :) Your son and Blue look look like a good match.
Does Peanut have any white on his face? He is a nice color.

S loves Blue for sure. I paid more than I wanted to for him but he's starting to show his value. I'm not feeling as bad about it. Peanut does not have any white on his face. He was listed as a grulla dun... we'll see this spring I suppose.

Latest posts

Back