Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that natural obstacle course! What a great way to practice. And you can always stick some letter cones on them and run them in different patterns. I want to build a driving track around my 4.5 acres...just trying to convince hubby... ;)

Glad your back Northwolf, I missed you!

Marsha, Plopping bullfrogs would be a new adventure for my guys. I'll trade you a few turkeys and a squirrel or three for a coup!e bullfrogs :D.

MajorClem, did you go to the CDE and do some obstacle judging?

Not much new here. Hubby has been driving Cappy a little bit. He and Cappy have an "understanding". Funny how animals can really bond with a certain person. I seem to be just the maid service to Cappy, I keep his room clean and the food coming. My husband, on the other hand, is Cappy's BFF!!! :p

Cayuse: I got an email saying the Colorado CDE has been canceled for this year :( They didn't give a reason why so I don't know if they didn't have many people enter or if they are having some type of equine virus outbreak. We were really looking forward to it so we're pretty bummed. We might drive our horses/minis in the local parade next weekend since we'll be here now. My new neighbor just started a PreSchool and is trying to drum up business so maybe we'll carry her business banner for her.

Isn't that funny how some animals and people get along great while others don't? My husband and his previous mare were the same way. She and I DID NOT get along at all but the two of them were Best Friends. And I was the one she got the most attention from. However, I am glad your husband has been able to drive him some. It's always nice to have someone to drive with. I know I always get out if someone else is willing to go. It's too easy to talk myself out of going alone because there are always chores to be done instead.

That's too bad about the CDE.
I hope that you go to the parade and take some pictures for us to see.

Cappy is an odd little dude. Sometimes I can't read him and that is unusual for me. He will be very aloof and then suddenly give me a "head hug" where he wraps his head and neck around my leg and wants a cuddle. Then two minutes later he'll give me the stink eye. It is perplexing. But I love him despite his quirks.
His prior owners said he liked men best and they were right.

Well, darned if Cappy isn't proving me wrong. He gave me a wonderful drive today and actually seemed to enjoy working for me. Dan warmed him up first for about 15 minutes and then the "ogre lady" took the lines and made him work a bit, lol. We had a blast. I set up a few cones and weaved around them and did some figure eights and he really put his heart into it. Usually he is like "yeah, yeah, you want left? Well, I'll get there eventually". Today he was eager.

I took Dapper Dan in to the riding club clinic at the Fairgrounds. I thought I was supposed to give a demonstration of harness parts and hitching. I did interact with several children that were there, but miniature horses and driving are "chopped liver" to play day/rodeo folk. "So glad you came" was a pat on the head to the little horse lady. A total loss of 4 hours of my day in the hot sun, except for a couple of interesting things the vet tech had to say. I let several children sit in the sulky; some I actually let drive him. I'm not going to do that any more; it isn't fair to him. Attached, a photo of one of the bigger girls driving him. They enjoyed it so much, but unless their parents get on the band wagon, there is no way they will get a horse--much less a harness and cart.

Attachments

• riding club clinic 2.jpg
    riding club clinic 2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 6
She looks happy, I bet driving DD made her day. You did a nice thing by introducing them to driving. Even if their parents can't/won't get them a mini, maybe when they are adults they will be able to.

A weird thing happened on our drive this morning. A neighbor dog came out of the undergrowth on the side of the road and Dapper Dan did a big shy. He leaped sideways. Didn't think anything of it, but when we got home he was missing a boot! I never even noticed. Got the golf cart and went back to the shy spot and there was the boot. I was thinking it would be torn or the velcro came loose. It was all intact and velcroed like normal. I suppose the sideways twist/leap he did, and maybe the other hoof caught on it and just pulled it off. Anyway, he was fine, boot was fine. It was just a strange little driving episode.
The dog was a stray. Dove season started yesterday and it was some kind of bird dog. I guess it ran away or got lost from its owner while hunting. It's staying at the neighbor's, but I went home and put my chickens up. Straying bird dogs and chickens don't mix well.

Some sad news today Nugget is gone. He had a bad colic with bloating. Vet tried oil and had him on iv. He didn't make it. He was fine last night; when they went out this morning he was nearly dead. Something about swelling pressing on lungs, I think. She was able to get him up and into the trailer to get him to the vet. She asked about a necropsy, but the vet did not think it would be useful.
Sister said he was drinking and eating; nice big piles of poop evident. It just came up out of the blue.
We are wondering if someone may come by and feed them things; little horses are so cute that people sometimes cannot resist stopping.
The whole thing was so quick. We are still in shock.

Some sad news today Nugget is gone. He had a bad colic with bloating. Vet tried oil and had him on iv. He didn't make it. He was fine last night; when they went out this morning he was nearly dead. Something about swelling pressing on lungs, I think. She was able to get him up and into the trailer to get him to the vet. She asked about a necropsy, but the vet did not think it would be useful.
Sister said he was drinking and eating; nice big piles of poop evident. It just came up out of the blue.
We are wondering if someone may come by and feed them things; little horses are so cute that people sometimes cannot resist stopping.
Marsha I am so sorry.

I am sorry to hear about Nugget. Please pass on my condolences to your sister, too.
Wasn't your neice working with him? It will be hard for her, too.

My sister's grand daughter helped her with him. She was small and fearless and helped a lot to desensitize him. He actually seemed to really enjoy small children and being ridden. I saw him last week and he was frisky and sociable. My sister was feeling pretty confident that he was turning into a driving horse too, though he had a history of bolting. I am still shocked at how quickly something like this could happen to one of our horses.

Attachments

• nuggel and amelia2.jpg
    nuggel and amelia2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
Oh Marsha! I'm so sorry to hear about Nugget. Colic is such a nasty thing and can progress so quickly. My heart breaks for you.

I ground drove Midnight a little today and then put the regular harness on her and hitched her to the Jerald Runabout. Formerly she had only had the light sulky on her. No breeching. She stood nicely for hitching, untied, with a good "stand". I did not put the bridle on, but lead her by halter since the weight and feel of everything was new to her. We even backed a few steps so she could feel the breeching. She got a little worried one time in a tightish circle but we stopped and did our "cross over" cue. Did a couple more tight circles. It would have been ideal to have someone with a lead rope while I ground drove, but working alone I just have to do my best.

I'm so sorry to hear this Marsha. What a horrible shock. It's never easy to lose one but to have it happen so fast is just horrible. It's been a hard year for many of my horse friends :(

I ground drove Midnight a little today and then put the regular harness on her and hitched her to the Jerald Runabout. Formerly she had only had the light sulky on her. No breeching. She stood nicely for hitching, untied, with a good "stand". I did not put the bridle on, but lead her by halter since the weight and feel of everything was new to her. We even backed a few steps so she could feel the breeching. She got a little worried one time in a tightish circle but we stopped and did our "cross over" cue. Did a couple more tight circles. It would have been ideal to have someone with a lead rope while I ground drove, but working alone I just have to do my best.

It sounds Like Midnight is coming along nicely. I think it's great you are motivated to get out and work with her alone. Sometimes I want to go work with them and know that I should but it's so easy to talk myself out of it when I'm alone. Always easier/more fun with someone else. Anyway... I'm glad Midnight is working out. She seems like a smart girl. Did you teach her the "cross over" cue before ever hitching her to help her with tight circles and other sticky situations?

I hitched Midnight to the Jerald again today and ground drove. We stayed in the corral area where the boulders are as it is more confined. The boulders make great obstacles, but when we didn't steer exactly right we did bump over a couple. She didn't seem to mind. We got a wheel caught against a large one so I had to go to her head and do some backing and crossing over. She handled that well. She doesn't seem to be affected by the heavier cart. I ordered a new brow band and throat latch today, so hopefully I can get her into the driving bridle. She has a very good whoa and we harnessed out in the open, untiedmidnight with jerald.jpg with a good stand.
I believe I am very good at taking a horse that knows nothing and getting him to be comfortable with all kinds of basic things; loading, grooming, farrier, ground work, ground driving. But I am having trouble with my confidence moving on to cart work.

I think it sounds like you are doing a super job of moving on to the cart with her! It hasn't been that long since you started and she is doing great. Getting her wheels caught and keeping sensible about it is a big thing. It shows she trusts you to fix the problem for her if she gets into a pickle and that is the start of "teamwork" !

Back