Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Abby P

Reaction score
Not really driving but I just wanted to proudly say that today I got a sneak trip to the barn and I was so happy with how Rowan did! First off, we were having 50mph winds today. The other horses were all running around, his buddy was screaming for him from before I even took him out, the barn owner was running the tractor and using a series of loud power tools (even the goats and elderly mini donks were spooking), and I haven't done anything with him except scratch his itches in two weeks. I put on his rope halter and my long line and took him into the large grass arena. And I got w/t/c in both directions, with NOT ONE buck, AND he was able to take my small reminder of bending and not falling into the circle and maintain a left lead canter for an entire circle without leaning on the rope which is something we've been working on for a while. Lots of breathing and snorting. I was thrilled! He really soaks on things for a long time and remembers everything - good and bad - but it's a huge help given my severely limited time these days. Yay! :)

Willow Flats

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
It has been so dry and windy here! Yesterday I stayed inside because my allergies were so bad I could barely see out of my itching eyes.

Rocko and I had a lesson scheduled today and I just decided to go for it because it is going to be windy all week anyway.

He started out spooking a little at first at the stronger gusts and all the movement and noises it was creating, but did settle. The trainer set up some really challenging small cone patterns and timed us at a forward trot and kept narrowing and rearranging the cones making it more difficult. She said a month ago I would have asked if I could just walk it a few times first and is happy with my current "bring it on attitude." We had a good day despite the wind. It was hard to keep my whip in position at times when turning into the wind!

Willow Flats

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not driving today because I just got home and it is 95 degrees! Just too hot for me this early in the season. I haven't adjusted yet! But here is the good part. I went to Kingston Saddlery today with my friend to pick up a cart for her shetland pony. One of my converts I had come and drive Annie. Their training is going well so they are ready for the next step!

Willow Flats

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
We went longer in both time and distance and did a lot of trotting today and he wasn't sweaty or tired. He is getting more fit cardio wise but still needs to build more muscle in his hind end. I gave him a nice break from his schooling today though.
I haven't been driving him as much as I'd like because of all the wind and the pollen is sky high.

Not sure if I made mention of this already but my treasured husband got himself a fishing boat.

Me: I thought our hobby was driving horses together.

Husband: I put some sardines in the freezer. That's what the stripped bass are biting.

We used to fish a lot together and it was nice but he needs to retire so we can have time to do both.☺