Your breeding practices..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone goes for in their breeding program..pedigree,color,temperament,size? to you,is one quality more important than the other quality?we breed for pinto,but conformation also most are B sized..i have seen many breeders just "breed" and sell.do you handle all of your minis,amd halter break your foals? i know of a few breeders that have half wild minis,and ones you can hardly touch..honestly,i did get hold of a few of them myself unknowingly. If you do not show,should this be a problem? It irks my nerves honestly to stuggle to brush them,and fight due to lack of hands on. ill admit..i have been slack on lead breaking our foals..i have had some protective moms this year..lol...just curious as to how everones practices differ....and trying to get some pointers!

I want big trots, conformation, and enough brains to make a driving horse.

Then I look at size, pedigree, and color.

There are enough horses our there that you can really have it all and not need to compromise.

I stall my horses so babies are always handled daily.

I don't mind wild ones, with daily handling they always come around quick. Only one time I got in over my head with a wild weanling... I was pregnant with twins so found him a more appropriate home at the time.

If it's a pinto it better have markings that don't detract from it's conformation--there are some markings that would definitely put me off!--and I prefer to have horses that are not mule colored--I have just never gone for the dark bays with the mealy muzzles...a horse would have to be REALLY spectacular in conformation and movement to make up for "mule colored"! Other than that I don't give two figs for color.

Pedigree is important to me, but with the small equine it is also important to remember that there are many pedigrees which are not accurate--the horses showing up on the papers may or may not be the true ancestors of the horse you're looking at. Above all I want a horse with the conformation I like--long hip, long laid back shoulder, upright neck, fine throatlatch, good length of leg--and with the conformation I like I can be quite sure that the horse can move the way I like him to move. I don't want a horse that cannot move better than average.

Foals born here get handled and halter trained. However, it doesn't bother me in the least to buy an unhandled weanling or even yearling--I've had a number of those and they all come around quite quickly.

I don't breed however if I did I would base it off the following in this order:

Conformation > Pedigree > Size > Temperment > Color.

I put Pedigree 2nd because you can tell a lot about an animal by its pedigree. Temperment, conformation, color, genetics, etc.

Temperment is close to last because I have a herd of varied temperments. They don't faze me and all are willing. Temperments can be molded. Conformation and size cannot.

Conformation first. Pedigree second. Colour is a bonus (although I dont breed grey horses - personal choice..)

I match stallions to the mares based on their conformation. eg. if I had a mare who had a straight face, I would go for a stallion with a dished face...also perhaps if a mare was on the heavier side, i would breed to a lighter stallion.

I also go for breeding matches based on previous progeny. If there was no other progeny to compare to, its a gamble...but then again isn't all breeding a gamble??

Temperment may sometimes come into my breeding program, but because I can infact handle any kind of nasty/naughty mini (I am a thoroughbred yearling conditioner/groom, so I handle colts a lot) and I dont do harness, I'm not really fused (my minis are ALL even tempermented anyways).

Conformation first. Color second. Not too concerned about pedigree, as two of our three stallions have nothing spectacular behind them but that sure doesn't affect they way they show and perform. Personally, I think way too much emphysis is put on pedigree. A good horse is a good horse, no matter who his ancestors are.

Temperment is also a biggie, but none of our horses are pyschopaths and are pretty even tempered. Wouldn't breed a crazy.

All of our foals are handled from birth. Maybe not to the point of total obedience, but they should at least lead and tie by the time they are weaned.

I differentiate between how I select the actual animal and what I use for pre-selection critera (and I bet you all do too). For example, I want a certain size (like 32-34" except stallion smaller) and REGISTRY. In my case, the list of registries happens to include AMHA, AMHR and Pinto. But I would not say I select for color, because our best pinto minis are gray!

Pedigree is important to me - all but one of ours trace to Rowdy (source of a lot of pintos), plus we have Gold Melody Boy and Blue Boy (hence the grays!). Of course conformation, which I consider to be bone structure not just an archy neck. So I want relatively long, straight legs, laid back shoulder, long hip, long neck, balanced conformation (3 equal parts) and refinement, with a pretty head. I want a large horse in miniature and I don't care if it has a high or low tail set as long as the rear end has the correct conformation. If you look at our minis, I think you will see a pretty consistent type too.

Movement is absolutely critical, and I want a long stride with over-reach and stright, correct movement. I don't care about flashy or tail-flagging, but I do want ability to work off the hocks and LOVE suspension. Yes, I want good driving or dressage movement!

Temperament is also critical, as our minis need to be safe for our 4-Hers that include kids of all abilities. I would not own a stallion that did not have super temperament and pass it on to his foals.

Our three current foals are handled daily and all are fairly well halter broke already (range in age from 4-6 weeks). They all behaved well for their first hoof trim and are getting their second one tomorrow. See above for temperament.

ETA an example of what we breed for: Max, now deceased, but he proved himself in the show ring too.

Max_4days.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely conformation and performance ability (including the disposition for that) first, pedigree and then size and color last. That last part doesnt even matter if you dont have a decent horse. For those that breed color (Appies, pintos) I tell folks to look at them all like they were plain brown. Would you still buy it?

Yes my foals are handled and halter broke too. Usually they have been clipped, had their feet trimmed, wormed and all the other things needing to be done too.

I haven't bred anybody for a few years. I just got a new mare this year and the rest I have are geldings and everyone shows. I personally enjoy showing more, but if I decide to breed this mare, not this year maybe not even next year I will send her out and breed her to a really nice stud. Possibly participating in AMHR's stallion showcase auction if they continue to have it. IMO its not worth the hassle keeping a stallion especially if you don't have the time or money to promote him so instead pay a stud fee for a stallion that is already proven in the show ring, that has fantastic bloodlines, and if he has proven show winning foals is even a bigger plus. Also I like a stallion that can do it all halter and driving. I honestly don't care about color, I like an attractive color but its not something that has to be a must have.

I also don't want to breed too many, maybe one or two and not every year. I want to take the time and train that foal and get the price I want, if he don't sell then I can still have room to keep him and have him on my show string possibly and not sell at give a way prices for next years foal crop.

Well I don't breed minis but with my big horses it was always Temperament first, if they don't have good attitudes and can't make a decent horse for an amateur (the biggest market with the late in life, new to horses baby boomers etc.) then they aren't worth having around, followed very closely by Conformation & Performance/ Movement which goes hand in hand IMO. If they aren't built right they won't move right, if they don't move right they can't get the job done. Pedigree was important but wasn't overly emphasized to the point I'd exclude a horse. Certainly I liked a nice pedigree and it will boost the price but if the horse proved themselves as a performer then they stayed in the program. If they didn't reproduce themselves (or better) with 2 different tries they'd get taken out of the breeding pool. If they struggled and needed extra measures to be bred or had a tendency to absorb etc. they'd get taken out. I was very picky about what I'd breed. Color rarely if ever factored into the equation.

In looking for mares for my program,,around here,i either see awesome pedigrees or loud color..it is very hard to get an all in one package. Color sells,i have noticed with one big breeder aroumd me.if it is plain,it is a $800 horse,if it,loud,it is a $3000 horse. Conformation lacks in my area also.i have seem very few well comformed minis.most are short,squatty,pot bellied,and for sale as a reg. Broodmare with color...forgoing pedigree. They are advertised as well conformed. Its neat seeing what everyone thinks is more important in,their program. I have noticed the farms that do have top notch showminis..the prices are $20,000 or up.

I think I'm going to be the odd one out here because my list, in priority order, is:

Conformation, then size, followed by temperment and pedigree.

I put pedigree last because, as one pointed out, not all are accurate, plus there are good horses and bad horses in every pedigree. So it depends on the specific horse to me.

But conformation is first, and believe me, since I'm one of the few breeding for the under 30" mini, conformation is even more important I think. Or maybe a more accurate statement would be great conformation is harder to achieve in a smaller package. Finding a horse with straight legs that tracks straight, naturally stands straight, doesn't do that twisty thing when it puts it's hoof down, isn't cowhocked, doesn't toe in or out, and can move FREELY is VERY hard to find in my size category. At least that's been my experience. Then I want a flatter croup (but can still move - tough to find), a neck that comes out high and a poll than can flex (EXTREMELY hard to get in an under 30" horse), short back (another really hard one in a tiny horse) and lastly, but certainly not least, is a pleasing head! Expressive, large eyes, tiny and tight ears, and a tiny muzzle! And as a breeder, finding horses to PRODUCE the things I've mentioned...even harder.

I don't want much, do I?LOL

Right there with you, Parm, but then i'd add color right after the pedigree. Names mean little to me, I want to see the horse and see what his/her sire and dam looked like, that's it.

Conformation is first and foremost, always. I like refinement with substance. I'm a sucker for long, refined legs and a nice short back. A good hip and shoulder are a must as well. You get those two and usually the straight legs and good neck set follow. I don't do thick necks. It seems as though people have really strayed from a nice refined neck since sweating became so popular. My stallions have never gotten thick with age and i would never buy or breed one that has. Same with my mares, of course. Temperament is toward the end because i have found that most horses that have come here with bad attitudes just had poor training. I personally like a "hot" horse that i have to work for to gain their trust. I think that's why i love my stallions so much
default_smile.png

We breed for conformation and color.

Pedigrees are nice, and if ALL horses were parentage qualified we would actually prove who there relatives were. But pedigrees don't make the horse, IMHO.

I think this year we have some of our best foals EVER, and that is saying a lot.

This is what we breed for....in living color.

Left Side Web 1.jpg

Right Side Web.jpg

Left Side Web.jpg

Well I'm no breeder but here is what I would like to look for in a breeder's priorities (and would be mine if I did breed):

conformation (including movement!) > temperament > size.

I want someone who is breeding for a well-conformed, athletic, sane horse. I really don't care what the pedigree is; I'm not buying the horse's ancestors, I'm buying the horse itself. Also, color is completely irrelevant to the horse's ability to perform, and since I am specifically interested in performance horses I don't care what color it is (though I do like to stay away from those white faces if at all possible lol).

we breed for conformation, pedigree, size, temperment, color.

Conformation is where it all starts with us (and sometimes its more than enough, to just forget the rest)

I have certain lines I love so pedigree is important to me but that said I'm excited about crossing these lines with other favorites of mine.

Size is important for our program as we want all our horses AMHA registered.

Temperment is important be cause we are a small breeding operation and handle our horses daily and I want to enjoy them

and would also not want to take the chance to pass on a bad temperment

Color is important mostly because I just love some colors more than others. You can notice we lean towards dilutes.

But there are many others I can fall for especially a beautiful Bay.

Since we are small our horses are stalled at night and our foals have been somewhat halter broke, used to the farrior and

usually clipped depending on the time of year they are born before they are weaned.

mini horse mania- sometimes if you dont have something you like in your area, it is worth looking in other states and paying the shipping. I think I have only purchased a couple of horses within my own state and all the rest came from elsewhere- sometimes as far as the east coast. It was worth it to me to pay an extra few hundred for shipping based on the quality I wanted.

LOL, Diane, yes sometimes they ARE plain brown,but you better have a good horse there to be an asset to the breed if you dont get color. If you can get good quality, color is just an added plus! The sprinkles on the frosting!

My program is 34" and under, double reg, solid color, roans welcomed, quality conformation, with the pref of King Supreme bloodlines. Other lines include Dandy, Komokos, Little Kings, Buckeroo, Minny Whinnys.

9 minis here with...

2 solid bays

2 buckskins

1 bay roan

2 buckskin roans

1 sorrel

1 silver dapple

(no white markings on any!) besides lacing on one...

Also no geldings here...

Although I am just in the beginnings of my miniature horse adventure this is what is on my must have list:

1. Conformation

2. Temperment

3. Dual registered-AMHA/AMHR PtHA a big plus

Prefer:

4.Color-this is what catches my eye

5.Size between 30-34

6. A proven sire , dam and siblings

Look at:

7. Pedigree-I have noticed that certain lines of minis seem to have dominant characteristics, but I feel there are many cinderellas out there that never get shown or promoted that have no notable horses in their pedigrees that are of as good or better quality than of those with a 'pedigree'.

I feel that as a responsible breeder it is my responsibility to handle the foals, they should be halter broke, have had their feet handled and be introduced to the sights and sounds around the barn. I have had many people asking me why I switched to mini's beacuse they are all mean,stubborn and hard to catch so it is my goal to change that in order to promote the breed in a positive light.

My goal as a possible someday miniature horse breeder is to breed an all around mini, one that can be shown in various aspects of the show ring be it at a national level, a fun show level or a CDE. I want to produce a miniature that can be a child/adults best friend, be used for handicap services, visiting nursing homes and schools or just be someones pasture ornament.

Showing is not important to me at this time. I admire those that do though. I enjoy attending the shows but as of yet have not been biten by the show bug.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back