you thoughts please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
So I am so please with my Bo, the gelding whose hip was dislocated a yr ago last December, he has started to used the affected leg to support wieght, the leg moves more normally ie: flexing at the joints when he walks instead of just being swung forward stiffly. Now to the part I would like some input on --- the leg that has been the support leg has developed problems with locking stifle. It is evident to me that my gentle exercise program for him is no longer enough and he needs to strengthen the muscles in his hind end. I made an area were I can do pole work with him and I have lots of hills for him to be walked on--but-- how agressive should I be in tems of increasing his exercise? Should I add 5 minutes per day, then increase to 10 etcetc?? He has been getting gentle walks on level areas 3 to 4 times per week and he lives in a pasture with a gentle incline 24/7.

I'll be of no help because I feel this is a case for radiographs and a skilled vet. Would not do a thing whatsoever until new X rays are taken to see where he is now. Good luck with little Bo!

OK yah - that should have been my first thought - to contact the vet who did the first Xrays! I guess I just get so used to doing things myself out here. I'll let you know what he says.

I agree that a referral back to the vet would be the best idea, but I'm sure that to continue with his walks would be good for him - straight lines are the best for stifle problems (together with full turnout as you are doing), not sure what you mean by 'area' for some pole work as I would avoid any circles/turns at this stage.

Good luck with your little fella - so glad to hear that he has improved so well.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back