You guys are such a wealth of knowledge, sorry I havent been around, but need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintsRule

Reaction score
This is the story. I know this is not a mini horse, but was wondering if anyone has had similar experience. First of all the colt was fine, and the first day we turned them out onto a larger pasture, and they did run a lot that day. ANyways, when he came in, he was favoring one hind leg a lot. He would lift it really high when stepping. My first step, when I have an lameness, is give it a day or two. I did, he seemed to get a lot better, just about sound in a couple of days. Today, I went to the barn to turn them out (they are in at night, and out for about 10 hours). He jumped up from laying down, and was keeping that leg, up. He walked a few steps, raising it very high (almost touching his belly when walking) but when stopped, he would set it on the ground, and seemed to be bearing weight. to the point, that I could only tell what leg was hurting, when he is walking. Any ideas? I am thinking injury, rather than conformation, as he was fine for 6 weeks, than all of a sudden this.

Again, sorry for just coming here when needing help, but would appreciate any previous experience on this type of thing......

Sounds like his stressed it from running around in the pasture and then where he was startled he could of re-pulled that muscle. Sounds like it is just going to take time for that to heal.......

It sounds like he has stepped on something and it make be stuck in there or cut.

My QH gelding was doing that. It ended up being a dislocated hip. The equine chiropractor adjusted him and he started doing much better. I would definitely get the vet to check him out.

Hey there, I was just wondering about you a few days ago, thinking you hadn't been here in a long time & wondering how you are.

I would be concerned about this being some sort of a pelvic injury. I have had experience with 2 horses that had a broken pelvis. In both cases the horse had difficulty in bringing the leg forward, so it was a little different than what you describe. However, symptoms vary, depending on where the fracture is located.

I have learned that a hind limb lameness is not to be taken lightly--best to get a vet opinion and in the meantime put the colt on stall rest or confine him in a small area. If by chance he does have a pelvic injury, moving around is not at all good for him.

How old is the colt?? If hes less then 3 months I would suspect Joint Ill which is nothing to mess with and the sooner treatment is started the better. Either way I would get a vet out asap

Latest posts

Back