Yikes ! Help ! 4 week old foal ? Should I give enema right away !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never2Mini

Reaction score
I just wormed my 4 wk old filly with panacur this afternoon. When I went to put her in her stall for the night. She had a poo stuck. I did not see her pass it but it did disappear. Should I run out and get a infant enema and give it now or wait and watch her ? I have not ever giving a foal an enema. Yikes

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone reading this thread given a foal and enema ? Shoot I never even gave one to my kids before. I just need to know if it is dangerous by being easy to hurt the foal ? I can't get a hold of my vet....

If it disappeared then she was able to pass it. If she does not seem distressed I would not worry about it yet.

Is she gaining weight normally? Is this a maiden mare? Some maiden mares don't produce enough milk.

Or if this a mare that just doesn't produce enough milk this will make foals seem a little constipated.

Make sure she has access to water and feed her some mare and foal feed while her mom is eating her dinners.

I feed mine soaked beet pulp, alfalfa cubes and mare and foal feed and they love it.

And make sure she gets plenty of exercise. If she is not out on pasture during the day maybe you could work something out so she could graze during the day. This will also help keep things moving.

Good luck and hope it is nothing serious.

Doubtful the wormer is linked to things that quickly. Great advice from wind haven, esp the part about the soaked feed. Enemas will not hurt, use a child's or half of an adults, warm, insert, squeeze, remove, hold tail down for a minute or as long as you can manage, then get out of the way. If a fever or straining is evident,get a vet to assist, they go down hill quick when they are young. Grass is a natural laxative and may be beneficial if she is eating solids.

Woohoo ! Just got back in. Ran to Walmart got infant enema. Gave to her and sweet relief !

I felt it would be to soon for the wormer but wasn't sure. She is eating with mom hay, Purina stragery and out to pasture most of the day. She is growing well she is a little chunk from when she was born and very active little thing. I will keep a close eye on her for anymore issues. Oh almost forgot her momma is not a maiden she is more experienced then me.
default_smile.png
Thanks for the advise
default_smile.png

Sweet foal is doing great today ! She is out in the pasture kicking up her heels !

If in doubt will not hurt, but can also use soapy water syringed in the butt.. and keep filling until cannot syringe anymore than
yes stand back this also will work ...

so glad she is better. It is intimidating giving that first foal an enema..I have given hundreds to people and was a total scardey cat when I had to give onyx her first. After the first the next several were no big deal. Glad you both are all squared away,.

Back