Yet another update on donkey with lump

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
After looking at the cell sample the vet(all four of them) said she didn't believe it to be cancer but felt it should come off and be sent to a pathologist. Last Thursday she came out and removed the entire lump. The surgery went pretty well. Annabelle is doing pretty good. She has managed to tear all the stitches out which has left a very large open would. I wash it twice a day with water and she wears a t-shirt to help keep dirt and bugs out of it.

I am being told it will heal from the inside out. I did give her some bute because she was acting depressed and she seems much better.

The vets called yesterday and said the first pathologist report said there was a small sarcoid in the middle of the lump and the other tissues had mulitple cells in them so the first pathologist sent it to yet another pathologist.

I am feeling more at ease about this, will of course feel much better when this wound finishes healing.

I did do some research on the Warble. I didn't look anything like the pictures I found. When the vet cut it open it didn't have a worm in it or burr which is what I was really hoping for.

Thank you all so much for your support. My donkey and myself surely appreciate it.

Traci and Family

HI Traci,

Sorry you have had to go through that.

Do you get the Brayer Magazine? There was a good article in there about a Donkey that kept getting sarcoids/lumps.

For the hole, you might want to spray Catron IV in it. It will help it heal, with the added plus of keeping the flys off it, and keeping maggots from starting up.

Hugs to you both.

Were can I buy that to spray on. My friend said maggots wasn't the end of the world as they would keep the wound clean but I don't think so. It would be the end of the world for me.

Vet said put nothing but maybe some vaseline. I have been putting fly ointment around the open wound but not into it as she said the antioboitic ointment would make he heal from the outside in insteadof the inside out.

Thanks

Traci

Maggets can eat your animals from the inside out. Not something I would want to do.
no.gif

The Local Vet should carry it for about $11.00 or American Livestock Supply has it..

http://www.americanlivestock.com/searchres...earch=Catron+IV

Wouldn't use anything greasy like vaseline, as it would not allow the wound to heal properly.

I just dealt with Stitches with one of my minis. Vet gave me Oral Antiboitics, and told me to use Catron IV, and nothing else. The Catron will allow the wound to heal from the inside out and keep maggots away. I sprayed it on twice a day until the wound totally closed up.

Traci,

Thanks for the update on your little girl. I was hoping it was just a sarcoid.

I'm with you all on the maggot issue...blah!!!

We had a mule get a nasty cut on her jowl last year and we used the Farnam 3 way salve. It has a pain killer, too and that cut healed with NO scar. It is an antisceptic, keeps flies off, etc. It was a deep cut and it healed from the inside to the outside very well.

Good luck.

StarWish/Colleen

Latest posts

Back