Yep, silver dapple

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Some of you guys told me that my this year's filly is silver dapple or smokey black. She has really shed off and the dapples are very apparent. Now as far as that mane...how long can one get before it lays over? She looks like she is wearing an Indian chief's headdress. I have tried to train it with all sorts of products. It sticks straight up like a row of corn.
default_giveup.gif

018.JPG

029.JPG

032.JPG

039.JPG

063.JPG

Oh my! She's ADORABLE!!!! And her mane is a crack-up!!!

She is a cutie!

We have a young mare with a stand up short mane. We banded it like they do the QH with a row of rubber bands, each holding a small hank of hair, placed fairly close to the neck. We also put a sleazy on over night (taking it off during the day). After a week or so, her mane seemed "trained" to lie on the side without the rubber bands or sleazy. Good luck!

She's beautiful and I love silver dapple
default_wub.png
I think she's going through a punk rock phase, but in my experience, that can happen to the best of us
default_whistling.gif

What I have found helpful -- usually doing this at a very early age -- is to give a bath and saturate the mane with a great conditioner, combing it to the side you want and leaving it just dripping. In a few days, I rewash mane and it has been a tremendous help in training the hair. Often I have used an inexpensive product called Cholesterol (?sp?) which comes in a jar with a screw off lid and you scoop out a handful. Try it on her. You might want to use a mane tamer first day, until it dries some. The product soaks into the hair shaft. Worth a try, she's a real cutie and would be happy to have her mowhawk tamed
default_yes.gif
for a grown up look.

Last edited by a moderator:
How cute, LOVE the mow-hawk! you'd think it would have chosen a side by now but I would do the recommended above and use a leave in to help it.

Absolutely adorable!!! I had a Just Misty who was a silver dapple - they are gorgeous!
default_yes.gif

Liz N.

Thanks guys. I will try some of all of the above. Maybe this is what I get for listening to so much 70's and 80' s music. She is a sweet girl for sure. Every person and animal is her best friend as far as she is concerned.

Latest posts

Back