yellow tails/manes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
I have a real problem with yellow in my horses tails mostly, sometimes the mane is a bit yellow too.

I usually have to end up using the white spray to eliminate if we are going to a show.

I am lately thinking that possibly the heavy amount of yellow I get in my white horses could be due to high iron and other minerals that are in our well water ingested as they drink.

I am also a white haired lady and many times my own hair has a yellow cast to it and I do not smoke and wash my hair often with shampoos to counteract the yellow or brassy look.

I have had hairdressers ask me if I take any medications, and I don't, as some will cause yellowing.

Just wondering if it might be our water??????

I have tried many shampoos and ideas that people suggest, on my horses to eliminate and to clean them, all to no avail.

Hi! I'm not sure about your water, but I know that Dawn Blue Dish Soap works awsome on white manes and tails. I wet the tail or mane, lather it up and let it stay on the tail for like 3 to 5 minuets depending on how bad the stain is then rinse it off! I always show sheen after I rinse too. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Wow mane and tail whitener. It works great!
default_biggrin.png

I'm not sure about the water or what. Could be something leaching out. I know down here where horses are in the "red dirt", they have a red cast to them no matter how clean they are.

I have used the Quick Silver Shampoo for white/gray horses. It works pretty nicely.

My sister was using shampoo for blondes, as she has been blonde all her life, but is now getting white/silver hair mixed in.. the hairdresser told her to use shampoo for silver hair, NOT blonde as it will make her hair a dingy yellowish color! So she changed her shampoos and conditioners....

For last minute fixes at shows I use baby powder, it works great on my silver bay mare. Got to try it on my pali pony next.

I can see iron in water affecting mane/tail/hair if you were washing in that water regularly. I cannot imagine that drinking that water would have any effect on mane/tail color, but I suppose it is always possible.

We have iron in our water. We also have some horses with white manes and tails, and they get VERY discolored tails, but that is from their being outside in the muck, and from (in the case of the mares) them peeing on their tails. ICK.

However, I've had little problem in getting those filthy stained tails white & bright again for showing or whatever. At one time we used the Quick Silver products. Lately I've been using Superpoo Shampoo and Absorbine's Show Clean--a stain remover. We used the Show Clean on two palominos on Saturday, and with one application and then shampooing with the Superpoo, both of their tails came out a bright, gleaming white.

Latest posts

Back