yearling doesn't eat grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maranatha minis

Reaction score
I recently acquired a yearling filly that came from an auction in SD. She doesn't eat her grain well but will eat hay all day long. She is getting the hay belly and loosing weight. How can I get her to eat? I wanted to show her in May. She will eat a very little of her feed during the night. Thanks for your help.

I got a weanling last year that wouldn't eat her grain either. She needed the weight on her since she had just got off the shipping trailer. So I ended up going through 3-4 different types of grains until I found one she liked. I think it was a life design one. It was very sweet. Had tons of molassas on it. But she ate it (finally) and loved it. So I would feed that to her for a little while and then started mixing in the normal grain I fed. Worked for me. May have to just go shopping and find a grain she'll eat.
default_smile.png

If it were my horse, I would treat her for ulcers. That is pretty much classic symptoms of a horse with ulcers. Ulcer Guard works great and I've had a lot of success with it here.

If it were my horse, I would treat her for ulcers. That is pretty much classic symptoms of a horse with ulcers. Ulcer Guard works great and I've had a lot of success with it here.
I agree
default_yes.gif

I agree with the person above who said to try different feeds until you find one she likes. I've gotten new horses in that just didn't like what my other horses were eating. One fall we got a colt in that simply wouldn't eat the ration the other boys were getting. I think I went and bought 3 different kinds of pellets before I found one he liked! No ulcers involved, he was just fussy.

I've even gotten a couple of horses that were used to whole oats previously, and when they came here they absolutely refused to eat rolled oats. Steam rolled oats does have a different smell/taste than whole oats.

If a couple of different pelleted feeds don't work, try some plain oats to get her started.

Latest posts

Back