X-ray of dog's litter was way off the mark

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
We had our expectant anatolian shepherd x-rayed a couple of weeks ago so we would know how many were in the litter. We used a nearby vet's office as our regular vet was on vacation and his office is further away. They pointed out 7 pups to us on the x-ray. I asked if that meant there were a minimum of 7. The vet told me "no, there is 7 at maximum." Well, after number 7 was born my husband suggested I leave and go get us a take out of something to eat. I told him that I could still feel another puppy inside Kylie so I would be staying with her longer so maybe it would be best if he went after food. As it turns out there was 8, then 9, then 10, and then 11. So basically the x-ray was no help. The good news is the smorgasbord of pups and the mom are all doing well. I am calling the last one Rain because it was starting to rain when she arrived.

WOW!!! 11 puppies!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_aktion033.gif

BIG CONGRATS!!!

Congratulations! I don't bother x-raying anymore. It's always a surprise
default_yes.gif
I thought Callie was having 12+ with the size of her
default_wacko.png
She had 8. She was waaayyyy bigger than her first litter of 10.

I never x-rayed with my Sibes, but upon urging, I did with my min pin. It showed four, and that is what we got. I can imagine with the larger dogs it wouldn't be as acurate...more body and larger organs to x-ray through perhaps, that makes it unreliable?

my first litter of Aussies we had the first 5 at home and then the 6th one was stuck. I watched her for an hour with contractions before I decided i'd better take her to the vet (hour is not unreasonable as you know). Unfortunatly it was 2:00am and most vet offices were not open.. took a whole bunch of calling to get an emergency vet but it was almost 5:00am by the time we got to the vets. I rushed her to the vets and they could feel the puppy in the canal but couldn't get it out with their fingers. They decided to take an X-ray and said if it was the LAST puppy then they'd probably just go in with pliars or something and pull it out and risk it being alive but if there were more they'd have to C-section. Anways the X-ray they said there was maybe 2 or three pups including that one left. When they went in.. Surprise surprise there were EIGHT more puppies! LOL They were asking people in the waiting room to come "catch" puppies to help stimulate them and get them going since the anestesia slows them down a bit and can make them a bit harder to get going... the vets were totally surprised and overwhelmed!! we said someone needed to go back to X-ray reading classes! The pup that was stuck surprisingly survived and was healthy even though he'd been stuck for several hours by the time we could get her to the vet and surgery took place ect!

Latest posts

Back