Written recipes or by the seat of your pants?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zarah

Reaction score
I know when I am trying a new dish I need the recipe written down in front of me, the first time and maybe the 2nd. Then I'll find what I like and don't like about the plate. Next I start changing to make things the way I like.

Do you do pretty much like I do it, or do you follow the written recipe everytime?

I do as you go although I don't do much cooking inside. I do love to sit out by the fire with my dutch ovens at the end of a long saterday working on the farm and an adult beverage and hope whatever i'm trying to cook is edable

I do try new recipes, but I also go on what I know to throw things together that are in the frig and pantry.
@diamond c What type of things do you cook in your dutch ovens? I've heard of baking pies and biscuits in Dutch Ovens. I think of stews, if I were to try to cook in a Dutch oven.

This is an interesting topic. I once saw a Civil War cookbook, and had a lot of basic stews as they were cooked over a fire, some where you could hang them from a tripod.

@diamond c does your Dutch oven have a flat bottom big enough to sit a pie plate in?

Hi @diamond c Could you try an 8 inch pan? I think it would be great fun to try a pie or biscuits or a cake.

I just found this video about making biscuits. That mention of putting 1/4 to 1/3 of heat on bottom, and rest on top. I would have never thought of that.

Yes 1\3 of heat on bottom and 2\3 on top. Also look at Kent Rollins. I'm going to get an 8" just haven't done it yet. I use the deep 12" the most. It makes a lot of food but great for company at the fire.

Latest posts

Back