Written recipes or by the seat of your pants?

Discussion in 'Food & Recipe Discussion Forum' started by Zarah, Feb 8, 2019.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Feb 8, 2019 #1

Zarah

Zarah

Zarah

I know when I am trying a new dish I need the recipe written down in front of me, the first time and maybe the 2nd. Then I'll find what I like and don't like about the plate. Next I start changing to make things the way I like.

Do you do pretty much like I do it, or do you follow the written recipe everytime?

2. Feb 10, 2019 #2

diamond c

diamond c

diamond c

I do as you go although I don't do much cooking inside. I do love to sit out by the fire with my dutch ovens at the end of a long saterday working on the farm and an adult beverage and hope whatever i'm trying to cook is edable

3. Feb 10, 2019 #3

ClaraN

ClaraN

ClaraN

I do try new recipes, but I also go on what I know to throw things together that are in the frig and pantry.
    @diamond c What type of things do you cook in your dutch ovens? I've heard of baking pies and biscuits in Dutch Ovens. I think of stews, if I were to try to cook in a Dutch oven.

4. Feb 11, 2019 #4

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

I love trying new things, but like you Zarah, I usually start adding things or trying other variations !

5. Feb 12, 2019 #5

diamond c

diamond c

diamond c

I'm a lazy cook and like one pot wonders. I have made a cake but I'm not But really anything you make in the house you can do in a dutch oven.

6. Feb 12, 2019 #6

ScottyP

ScottyP

ScottyP

This is an interesting topic. I once saw a Civil War cookbook, and had a lot of basic stews as they were cooked over a fire, some where you could hang them from a tripod.

@diamond c does your Dutch oven have a flat bottom big enough to sit a pie plate in?

7. Feb 13, 2019 #7

diamond c

diamond c

diamond c

I have a 10'' a 12" a deep 12" and a 14". so some do the 10" would be tough to get it in and out without tipping it or burning your fingers.

8. Feb 13, 2019 #8

WantAMini

WantAMini

WantAMini

Hi @diamond c Could you try an 8 inch pan? I think it would be great fun to try a pie or biscuits or a cake.

I just found this video about making biscuits. That mention of putting 1/4 to 1/3 of heat on bottom, and rest on top. I would have never thought of that.

9. Feb 14, 2019 #9

diamond c

diamond c

diamond c

Yes 1\3 of heat on bottom and 2\3 on top. Also look at Kent Rollins. I'm going to get an 8" just haven't done it yet. I use the deep 12" the most. It makes a lot of food but great for company at the fire.