Wrapping tugs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldminihorses

Reaction score
Someone told me that some AMHR judges will disqualify a driver if the tugs are wrapped around the shaffs. I looked in the 2005 Rule Book and couldn't find anything. Does any one know about this and if so where is it in the Rule Book?

I dont know if they would or not but they should. IT is very dangerous to do that and why would you even want to?

What do you mean "the tugs are wrapped around the shafts?" The wrap straps are supposed to be wrapped, certainly. But I'm having trouble imagining how the tugs (the loops hanging down from the saddle) could be "wrapped" in any way. I don't disbelieve you, I just can't picture what you mean.

I'd be happy to help if you can give me a better description!

Leia

I beleive they are refering to the peices that come off of the breast pad, and go back and hook to the cart. I have seen alot of people wrap them around the shafts. IMO very dangerous

I Think she is talking about the traces. Yes, it is dangerous. If for some reason you have to unhook your horse in an emergency you would have problems. If your horse was down and injuried and had to be unhooked quickly you could have problems doing so with the traces wrapped around the shafts. You should have the traces adjusted to the proper length when you hook you horse and NOT by wrapping them around the shaft!

Oh, the TRACES! Yes, that's a definite no-no. The original (ADS, not show) reason this is a bad thing is that it negates the effect of the single tree. Instead of allowing the harness to move with the horse so he can pull and bend properly, it causes one of two effects: either the breastcollar slides around on the horse causing chafing and discomfort, or the horse learns to lock up their shoulder and short-stride in the front end because there is no freedom for them to move their front legs out of the way of the hind during proper engagement. Bad thing, very bad. Like most traditional problems it doesn't show up as much on a mini (especially with a light show cart) as it would on a big horse with a heavy wooden cart, but it's still true.

Most of the mini show harnesses are very light (so wouldn't chafe much) and the traces are soft enough they just drape down if they aren't tense. But synthetic harnesses or thicker traces on a carriage harness are stiff and they do push the breastcollar forward (meaning the harness stands still while the horse moves- causing chafing) if the ends of the traces are attached to something stationary instead of a moving swingle tree. Bit more of a problem there.

Leia

Sorry about that they are traces, not the tugs. Also, thanks for the explanation, makes sense. If I see anyone that wraps from now on I'll let them know the reasons why they shouldn't wrap them and maybe I can help them fit them correctly. As I said I don't wrap mine, but I have seen quite a few people that do. Probably the exhibitor was disqualified by the judge at an AMHR show because she had her traces wrapped and he considered it a safety problem and not exactly a rule. Again thanks so much for your input.

It is not against AMHR rules and I doubt the exhibitor was DQd for that reason, maybe another reason?

That said, it is a HORRIBLE thing that they do and it drives me up the wall to see it. My boyfriend, who only has experience driving draft horses, came to my AMHR show today and saw it and was like "What is up with THAT???" but then again the fine harness with no breeching also sort of bothered him ;-)

Andrea

Latest posts

Back