WOW, BIG SURPRISE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
It was a bad foaling season for me this year. Lost two foals to hip lock (never had hip lock before with 14 years of breeding), and one mare from the hip lock, could not get the foal out. The mare was only 4 years old and one of my best mares. This was to be her first foal and both foals were Windbourne's first foals. Then I had my first red bag the foal was septic and I had to give him 4 shots a day for 2 weeks. He pulled through, but lost all of his coat. Right now he is totally bald, but fuzz is growing back.

I bought a mare 6 years ago who has produced an AMHA World Grand Champion Junior Stallion and an AMHA World Reserve Grand Champion Junior Mare. The mare I am talking about is Deiles Dakota Excellence. An 18 year old daughter of Whittmaack Mickey Mouse and Winks. She was in foal to a stallion at the time I bought her. I was not crazy about the stallion she was bred to and sold the resulting colt. Now to see if my gamble worked. Dakota is an every other year mare, so I had to wait until she was 19 to breed her to Windchaser (a son of the sire who produced those World Grand Champions. the resutling foal was a solid black colt: riverdances Windbourne. A real beauty who will be out in the show ring next week.

I tried to breed her last year, she took and i put her on regumate. Somewhere along the line, she lost the foal. I briefly bred her to Desperado last spring, but she showed no signs of pregnancy this year, so I decided to try one more time, sure that she was finished having foals.

About 10 days ago she seemed to lose a great deal of weight. Her backbone and hip bones really started to show, mussels were sinking in. I upped her food and hoped that she was not starting a decline. About a week ago, i was looking at her in the pasture and she seemed to have a bulge on one side. Could she be pregnant? But no bag. Then a few days ago she started bagging up. Last night she gave me a beautiful buckskin filly. Just what I wanted!!!

So here she is: Riverdances Made To Order

Trying to post pictures. I can not seem to do it anymore.

MadeToOrder.jpg

maddy.jpg

Oh my goodness what an incredible story! What a wonderful surprise for you after a difficult foaling year! Congratulations to you!!!! Your filly is beautiful
default_smile.png

BUCKSKIN and a FILLY!! What a wonderful surprise! She's just beautiful! Congrats!

Oh she's gorgeous - many congratulations on such a special suprise!!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

When it rains it pours, but it looks like you found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! Beautiful!

Congrats! How sweet is that!! She is beautiful. So sorry for the rough start to your year.

Big Congrats So good!! Cute as a button filly!

Latest posts

Back