Wow! and Gestation Question for Mini Mule breeders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
I haven't been here for a long time. It has been at least a couple years! I often think about folks on here, but haven't been on to check it out! The forum looks great!

Anyway, my question is, I have a mare at 353 days, bred to a mini donkey. Does anyone have any idea of the expected gestation for a mini mule? She does have soft bag and a soft lump in front of it. Her butt is still very round, her back end looks "normal" and her tummy isn't pointy!
default_smile.png
This is her second foal, but her first in six years.

Longer than a mini horse foal.

Averages say mini horses go about 320 days; mini donks close to a year (sorry I don't know exact for mini donks); so a cross is going to go somewhere in between. And, since mini horses can stretch it out to a year, it could be even longer carrying a mule foal.

Be sure to share pics once it arrives.

I'va always heard that mules and hinneys take a year. The donkey genetics are the dominant ones that determine gestation. So I've been told.

The research I did before breeding was that it would be a year to 13 months, but since they have a shorter gestation than larger horses, I was just curious as to how long it might take. She is showing no more signs today than yesterday, but she sure is grouchy and not wanting me poking around much.

We breed mini donkeys here. Our jennys take 365+ days. One always goes a bit longer, nearly 13 months. Please be sure an post pics!

She is at 356, and showing signs of being very close! She is really agitated doesn't want to be touched... hip bones are showing, tail carried higher, but no pointy belly, and her bag isn't hard yet, but she is getting closer!

Latest posts

Back