Would you use farrier tools like this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
They are actually used for cattle, but thought they might work for minis too. Hubby does the trimming at our place and he keeps saying "there has to be an easier way!"

This curved rasp looked good. It looks much safer and easier to use than the regular type.

curvedblade.jpg

Even this easy grip rasp thingy looked ok.

easygriprasp.jpg

Now hubby did see something like this on TV used for cattle. He said it slices the hoof rather than cutting it with nippers.. seemed very effective too.

paringhoofknife.jpg

Do you think tools like this would work?

I use secateurs, myself, and if your hands are bigger the curved goat shears work well too, but I find the surform (cheese grater thing) too clumsy, and the knife thing.....I would not touch!!

How about a Dremel!!!

I plan to learn to use the Barracuda nippers that so many have talked about. Even some farriers seems to like them, at least for minis, and the blades can be replaced.

Barb

I use secateurs, myself, and if your hands are bigger the curved goat shears work well too, but I find the surform (cheese grater thing) too clumsy, and the knife thing.....I would not touch!!How about a Dremel!!!

Do you mean garden secateurs? Are they sharp enough? Any chance of describing them in a little more detail?

I'm not sure what goat shears are, but I'll google them to see.

Speaking of the dremel, hubby wants to go 'electric' with the hoof trimming. I have a feeling he has considered it too.

OK, off to look at goat shears!

Dremels are nothing to mess with unless you know what the heck you are doing. You can take way too much off in a hearbeat, at least you could with mine. Farrier tools are made for horses. Nippers, files and hoof knifes there is a reason for it. Cattle and sheep feet are different anatomacally so they have different tools also. I know you couldn't use goat shears on mine their hoofs as their hoofs are too hard and healthy. Linda

I'm sorry, I should have put this
default_wink.png
after the Dremel quip!!!!

I have used secateurs, top of the line, coated steel blades, yes, ordinary gardening ones for over fifteen years- the only thing that has rendered them not so useful has been the loss of strength in my hands.

The curved goat foot shears are stronger, but bigger, and again, I can't manage them anymore.

I now use a 12" set of horse nippers, which are harder to manage (for me) in one hand, but much better than the big ones!

I agree horse implements are best, but they are not always the most manageable, as little hooves and big tools do not go well together.

Double K have a hoof grinding tool attachment, but I would guess it is as potentially dangerous as a Dremel??

Leonie --

Since you are not used to traditional nippers (in that you've not been using them for years), if possible, I think you'd really benefit from using those Barracuda nippers. We are used to regular nippers but adjusted to the Barracuda's (feel different in your hands). They have this spring that helps give you leverage to more easily cut through the hooves which can be hard even with sharp nippers. These barracudas make it much easier for us. Our tools are those nippers, a 10' "mini rasp" from Jeffers with a handle, and a hoof knife.

Good luck,

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Rabbit a Double K sander is a safe piece of equipment I actually use a mouse sander to buff my guys feet. A dremel is a precision tool that can take away hoof in a heartbeat. I know farriers and have seen pictures in farrier journals using a heavy duty sander. These are in EXTREME cases and not for show but people figure they can use them, NOT! Any power tool that can cut through or sand tissue fast is an accident waiting to happen. Double K's are for buffing not grinding as are the mouse sanders. Linda

A local farrier uses an oval hoof knife similar to the one pictured. He used them at farrier school in OK a few years ago. He seems to like it. Might not be exactly like the one pictured but close.

Good quality farrier tools make the same job much easier, safer, and faster! Linda got me convinced last fall.

Mark

Barracudas are the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

I have small arthritic hands and always got along with ordinary nippers but it was painful and a little tedious.

With Barracudas I can do 9 or 10 horses in a couple of hours, which includes a lot of work in the soles and sanding the tops with the little "mouse sander".

The thing that I think puts some people off on the Barracudas is that they arrive from the distributor with the blades slightly apart, likely for shipping.

You have to adjust the blades so they touch, with the "Allan Wrench" and then it's like cutting thru butter. Even my horses with hooves "of steel" are a dream.

I can't say enough good about them.

My main farrier tools are the barracudas, an expensive hoof knife, a rasp and the little mouse sander. (I empathize the "expensive" hoof knife because the sole of the hoof is much easier to "sculpt" with the best knife you can buy.

As a part time farrier, I like the looks of the last two items shown..

Ive never tried either one but would be willing to do so,- as they look like they could improve on what I am currently using.

The curved knife would need to be used skillfully, as it could dish out more than intended.

I do actually use the orange rasp with the handle.I really like it.

For me it "fits" better for Saber's hooves and easier for me to maneuver.
Where can I find a rasp with a handle like that?

thanks

You are all dang brave!!!! I'm a major chicken when it comes to farrier work as I'm so worried about ending up with a herd of wonking legged horses or horrid looking hooves I won't do it. I've bought and thrown out tools 2x as they've rusted from lack of use, have read websites galore and have the video! Still, I've only managed one hoof in nine years!!!

The barracuda's and secatuers do sound like an option though - it's the nippers I have a heck of time trying to one hand those even the 10" and I have large hands. Maybe not coordinated enough.

Maybe a goal for 2009 to try and learn to do some farrier work . . .

Latest posts

Back