Would you show a horse with

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys would do. THERE SHOULD BE NO FLAMES OR ARGUING ON HERE. There is no doubt I will continue showing this mare, as I think she is "perfect" in my eyes, even though I do know her faults.

My mare is slightly sickle hocked, not that bad. I do know not every horse is perfect, so this doesn't bother me but her hind legs are just a bit different then those top show horses I see.

My question is; would you show a horse with a conformation fault like sickle hocks? Also, how would you set this horse up to "fool" the judges?

Thanks

EVERYONE that shows a horse, shows it with at LEAST one slight fault.
yes.gif
No horse is perfect, and in regards to the specific fault you mentioned, yes, I have personally seen MANY, MNY show horses (and successful ones too I might add!) with that fault.

Yes, I would show a horse with a fault. As Mona stated, there are very few perfect horses out there. As for setting him up to hide the faults, well, that is your job
rolleyes.gif
To figure out the best way to shows his assets and hide those faults. To me showing was always for the fun of it, if both horse and I werent having any, it wasnt worth it.

My question is; would you show a horse with a conformation fault like sickle hocks? Also, how would you set this horse up to "fool" the judges?
As stated already...MOST horses, (people too, for that matter)
yes.gif
have some kind of 'fault", if you look hard enough to see them.

I owned and showed an awesome Appaloosa gelding years ago who was ever so slightly sickle hocked....he won every time he went into the ring; but twice. It has probably been beaten, but he held the record as the only Appaloosa at that time, to have won all three of his Futurities. Had a Judge tell me once, that he was the most beautiful horse, and closest to correct, he had ever seen in his life. He still makes one drool, as a 22 year old.

What I did to set him up, believe it or not, was to set him a tiny-wee bit UNDER himself. You would think this would make it more obvious, but it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, of course i would. I showed my Dobes with full tails, knowing it would probably go against them. I was far happier knowing why I did not win (when I didn't) Carry one- it only takes a few horses with worse faults and you've won the class!!!

Yes , show her.
aktion033.gif
Sickle hocks are really quite common in the show ring. I think it goes along with a lot of the leggier type minis. And good luck with your showing.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Mary

MiniSeasons said:
I was just wondering what you guys would do. THERE SHOULD BE NO FLAMES OR ARGUING ON HERE. There is no doubt I will continue showing this mare, as I think she is "perfect" in my eyes, even though I do know her faults.
My mare is slightly sickle hocked, not that bad. I do know not every horse is perfect, so this doesn't bother me but her hind legs are just a bit different then those top show horses I see.

Thanks

469677[/snapback]

Especially the more I learn, I cannot see a picture of a horse, no matter how fabulous, where I do not see something at least slightly "wrong" and I'm talking about the top notch "magazine" horses.

Thank you for your suggestions and input. I was just cruising through some pictures of other horses and saw many with Chantilly's same fault. I know she is a great show horse, she has never not placed, or placed last in her halter classes, or driving classes either.

Jessica

Fox Glen Miniatures
saludando.gif

I know nothing about showing horses ( but am hoping to learn soon! ). As many have stated - ofcourse I would show one with a falt - show me an animal with out one. I use to breed and show A.P.B.T. and did very well with them. But they all had there falts and you just had to learn how to disquise that...Sorry - getting
offtopic.gif
Good thread though!
yes.gif

Yep I got a gelding that is over at the knees. THis year was the first year he hasnt been shown since he was a foal and he is 8. But he also looks very preggers, hopefully next year he will be back out.

OH...I have a mare like that. Is it genentic? I thought she stayed so fat when she was young her legs couldnt lengthen under her wieght
laugh.gif
I really did!! now i know.

Another thing that has worked for me when I had babies that did that was, as I was setting up the hind legs, pick up the one closest to me, the poke out the other leg, While Still holding the leg up, and then set it back down, as someone said, slightly underneath them. You have just, A) Put the horses legs at almost a 'splayed' angle, and B.) set them underneath, makeing them appear more correct... It's up to you and your patience to get the darn thing to stay put!
rolleyes.gif

Jill said it the best, despite all our glossy photos, everyone of those "magazine horses" has Something, Somewhere!
yes.gif

I believe you judges approval of her as stated in the "Always placimg comment" does your horse and your turn out pleanty approval!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

As others have said, all minis have something even the magazine ones. The point is showing your horse to the best advantage.

That is what a top trainer can do - they can get a horse to flatten a topline, tuck in his legs, arch correctly, etc. Not saying that the average show person can't do it, but that what makes the difference if you've ever watched some of the really great handlers - they can get so much out of a horse.

We've seen horses that toe out, paddle when they trot, etc., that place over others that have better conformation, but for some reason didn't place as well.

I love looking through Miniature Horse World and The Journal and picking the pictures apart. I'm not sure I'm always right at what I would change about the horse if I could and if it were mine. And, I'd be so proud to call most of the flawed magazine horses mine, don't get me wrong. It used to be that ALL the horses in the magazines looked flawless to me but that has changed. Another thing I do, because I still LOVE color, is when I see a horse that really knocks me out, I "paint it" my least favorite color in my mind and then see how it looks
laugh.gif
Strange hobby, I know... And for all the flaws I think I see in the magazine horses, you don't even want to hear the run down on how I can pick apart my own beloved wonders who I see in person every day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back