Would you discipline a broodmare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Just was curious about this. Since I have some new mares that are in foal.

How would you handle it if when trying to do the navel and such she kicked you and also bite? Would you use a form of discipline?

I've had this happen to me but I didn't do anything since she was new and only protecting her baby. Should I have?

Thank you!

If she is protecting it from other horses, no. From me yes. I dont care, there is no reason for a mare to kick or bite at you. I actually had a mare do this to me this year. NIped that in the butt and with in a week, she knew better then to do anything to me, but she still tried to kick at my mom if she got to close.

NEVER NEVER NEVER do anything with a brand new baby unless the mare is tied up!! Then discipline is a non-issue and you won't put yourself at risk. She is doing what nature tells her to do. If you treat a baby's navel without tying the mare and she hurts you, consider it a lesson and don't beat on the teacher! It takes most mares at least 5-7 days before they lighten up on being protective, even around their owner/handler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously if you are "doing the navel" it is a brand new foal....and I am always very cautious when entering a stall (or lot area) with a mare and new foal unless I have know that mare for a while. Sometimes, even then, an occassional one is very protective.

But, a new mare with a new foal? I'd have carefully approached her first and soothed her. If she was very nervous and seemed aggressive (ears pinned, etc), I would have verbally corrected and again, gotten a hold of her and soothed her. If much aggitation, I'd have gotten another to help hold her while we handled the foal. Of course, a new mare with a foal due soon would have gotten as much time as I could have given to get her acquainted with me
laugh.gif
Those gals really do mean business sometimes! I honestly make a point of handling them, their belly, legs, teats, etc, or even a maiden -- to get her used to this handling under her circumstances.

I would not have been angry at the mare, just myself. Knowing one is very protective makes me take some time to be very careful of placement of her, foal and me. Had one in June who was in this situation. New, very preggers, and very protective of her first foal. It worked out but sure had to be careful the first couple of days. Then she settle in with her little bundle of joy...and people there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jean 100%!

I have mares here that are non-aggressive when I handle their new foals--I do not tie them up, but I do keep one eye on them, just to be sure. If one did go for me, I consider that my own fault, mare would not be to blame. I have other mares that I know are very protective, and yes, they get tied up when I have to do something with their babies. They are good moms and do not deserve to be punished for their protectiveness.

That's a hard call to make. We have never had super aggressive mares like that. However, we've had a mare who would push us away with her body when we tried to approach her newborn.

In the situation like described above, we have either tied her or have had a second person have her on a lead and keep her away while the other person dipped the navel, etc......

With a mare like that we have made an extra effort to keep the mare and foal quarrantined a little longer and have gone into the stall regularly to handle the foal. If necessary we have tied the mare while handling (imprinting). It often only takes a few visits like that before the mare realizes we are not a threat to her baby.

With a super aggressive mare? I doubt I would discipline her. I'd probably handle it very much the same way as I described above.

MA

Holly more than welcomed Jerry and my presence in her stall to help her out with the foaling. We dunked the navel and handled the baby right from the get-go no problem but she did stand at attention with her nose right in our faces to watch what we were doing to "our" baby. I guess she learned that we were sharing that baby with her. I feel that I am bonded enough with Holly in the first place and she is also mannered which helped. She did not throw those manners out the window thank goodness.

Now as for her protecting Timmy from the herd, holy moley, that's a whole nuther story!

My mares are good mares too! The most they will do is step in front of me, between the baby and me.

I do however keep a watchful eye, but do that at any time when working with my horses.

Beth

Latest posts

Back