Would you cut?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Are you going to show her within the next year? If so, don't cut it.

If you are not going to show her in any capacity, I would go ahead and make your son happy
default_smile.png
You might like the look.

She looks like she could pull it off. You could roach (hog) the mane with clippers and let it grow back in. It will stand straight up for a while, and within six months to a year it will lay over and look just like that again.

Remember, hair always grows back.

Andrea

Not a show girl at all! If I cut it I will do it by hand and thin it to look donkey /mule. I know I can cu it as I was a hairdresser! I am thinking it would be fun for the summer!
default_yes.gif

If you definitely aren't planning on showing this year OR next.......and you've been a hairdresser........go for it.

default_yes.gif

No I wouldn't cut it. I'd tell my son I don't want my horse to resemble a donkey or a mule.

Besides, then where would I put all the scrunchies!
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

I wouldn't cut it all off. Looks have nothing to do with it either, a horse uses its mane to help keep flies off during hot weather, so the mane is important right now. I would work on it before I would take it all off.

Edited after seeing the photos. I would just let it grow and put conditioner on it, like Laser Sheen, Show Sheen whatever to give it more moisture and help it grow better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree - I would not cut her mane - it's her fly protection. Any horses not showing here don't get any trimming except for a thin bridle path.

You could put conditioner on it dry (I use dollar store human hair conditioner) and leave it in. It may be sticky for a bit, but will help condition it in the long run.

Ok thanks everyone for your input.

We decided to cut it after all. It is cute on her and she seems to like it. I didnt cut her bangs I want them to grow, poor thing has no forelock!

Its wet as I rinsed it but I will tweek it a bit more before I am finished.

6-23-08013.jpg

She still looks beautiful, you did a good job. She doesn't look like a mule, after all. Does your son like the look?

Andrea

Thanks! He likes it a lot. He said she was prancing like she liked it.
default_yes.gif

I think it looks really cute!

When I body clipped my Billy boy I roached his mane. I think it looks much better.

IMG_2813_3_1.jpg

IMG_2815_4_1.jpg

Before his haircut his mane just went all over the place and was so thick I couldn't brush it out. Billy is always rolling and getting filthy and tangling dreadlocks in his mane....so this is better.

She is very pretty! I probably wouldn't have done it, but she still is a pretty girl even with a crew cut
default_biggrin.png

default_biggrin.png
Thanks My Son is calling her Bonny Spike!

Kellie, Billy looks nice with it roached!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back