Would you breed to a stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
horsehug said:
Just to add a little different perspective to this thread, I thought I'd post the opinion of Tony Greaves of Little America Minis. We have had so many new members to the forum since he first posted it and since I reposted it also with his permission. As a preface, I'd like to say that in my opinion, Tony has more experience than almost any breeder I know of and has been a mentor to me, always willing to answer my questions honestly and share his VAST experience with me. I have called on his expertise and gotten to know him partly because I share his passion for the tiny ones and respect him and his breeding program.  I was lucky enough to get to visit his beautiful farm 6 years ago, and it is SOOO obvious that, while his farm is his livelihood, it is also his passion and he loves his horses and his work with all his heart.

I also feel that IF it were ever discovered or let out that some of the true greats of our breed, and I am sure you can all think of several that you consider the true greats,  had produced a dwarf  (and there is that very real possibility/probablility that it has happened) ....... and with the effect we know these great ones have had on our breed.......... I wonder if so many would be so quick to say that they should never have been bred again.  With the stigma that it is obvious to me is STILL attached to knowing a horse can produce a dwarf,  it would not surprise me at all if it was once again hidden or denied more like in the past.  And I think that is sad.         

Here is what Tony said 4 years ago and told me I was free to share again.

Susan O.

tonysresponsepage1.jpg

tonysresponsepage2.jpg

529000[/snapback]

I remember that discussion and Tony's reply. I have to say I agree. I would not rebreed two horses together that produced a dwarf. I would not take them out of the breeding pool unless the dwarf production was many with all different mates. I would however make buyers aware that a dwarf had been sired by or produced by one of my horses if a dwarf had been produced (none of my current horses have).

Tammie

I agree 100% with you the way you said things.. Yuppers.
aktion033.gif

I agree. I would not rebreed two horses together that produced a dwarf. I would not take them out of the breeding pool unless the dwarf production was many with all different mates. I would however make buyers aware that a dwarf had been sired by or produced by one of my horses if a dwarf had been produced

OK here goes.....I have been posting this for years and I tend to make the breeders of really small one angry but oh well

Dwarf traits I would intentionally select for in my rabbits in order to meet breed standard..

Smallest possible stature (under 3 lbs)

rounded bulbous head

prominent eyes

tiny ears

small limbs

Charactersitics to be avoided

malocclusion....overshot or undershot or generally bad bite

cowhocks

weak hip/narrow pelvis

long back

Having spent much time breeding my champion buck who had the neccesary dwarf characteristics I know for a fact that the dwarf gene was needed to keep my size within the breed standard for showing.......

I still say in horses as in humans and rabbits there is a size that also is considered dwarf and is an effect of dwarfism even if it is the only apparent effect...but again without research we will never know what that is.......

And again I ask if we wiped out the dwarfism and that meant all mini's were now 35 inches ...well where would that leave us?

And again I ask if we wiped out the dwarfism and that meant all mini's were now 35 inches ...well where would that leave us?
A CLEAN SLATE from which to start again, with more knowlege of what we are doing...
yes.gif
yes.gif

As for not wanting to irradicate known dwarf producers because of all the get "great" they might produce...there is always another horse, just as good...or better. (Obviously better, IMHO, if it doesn't produce dwarves.)

Sue_C. said:
A CLEAN SLATE from which to start again, with more knowlege of what we are doing...
yes.gif
yes.gif

As for not wanting to irradicate known dwarf producers because of all the get "great" they might produce...there is always another horse, just as good...or better. (Obviously better, IMHO, if it doesn't produce dwarves.)

530427[/snapback]

OK but if no dwarfism means nothing smaller than 35 inches is that still okey dokey?

If 35" is what it meant then yes that is perfectly Okie Dokie with me, but I truly do not feel that is what it would mean.

I think we have many many fine horses out there 34 and under that carry no dwarf genes or characteristics. In all honesty only time will tell, and then only in all honesty. LOL OK so that is a play on words.

Runamuk, I totally understand what you are saying about the dwarf characteristics you are talking about in your rabbits. These are not life hindering tendencies that make the rabbits life miserable and difficult. You also mentioned the non desirable dwarf characteristics. If in fact dwarfism (I am not sure that is a word) only meant smaller than I don’t have a problem with it. But I and I think everybody is talking about the characteristics that deform and cause skeletal and health issues and are a detriment to the animal for its entire life how ever short it may be.

I understand that most people when discussing this topic immediately picture full blown dwarfs...believe me even in rabbits it happens we call them peanuts normally they are born dead or do not survive long. What I am referring to is dwarfism as more a set of genes and if you only get part of that set then you have things like extreme heads tiny ears, or extra small size, not the whole package just parts of which some of these parts have become part and parcel of the definition of a miniature horse...in fact some of these traits are prized by many breeders......just something I have noted in my research....several of the breeds with recorded dwarfism all have a goal or requirement of an EXTREME typey head (arabs, welsh come to mind) lets see stifle issues...commom in arabs, and miniatures to the point of being noted as common even by vets........or how about testicle issues? It is interesting that in arabs and welsh and miniatures it is not considered uncommon for testicles to descend late or for crypt to happen with a fair amount of frequency.........and yes I love all 3 of these breeds and have been deeply involved with them for years and I am not saying we should ignore the problems......in fact I wish more people would get involved in open discussion of bloodlines/known dwarves/and dwarf characteristics.....but sadly everyone still seems to want to cover it up or point fingers away rather than take a good look at their own horses and truly look for these characteristics.

hhpminis said:
If 35" is what it meant then yes that is perfectly Okie Dokie with me, but I truly do not feel that is what it would mean.I think we have many many fine horses out there 34 and under that carry no dwarf genes or characteristics.  In all honesty only time will tell, and then only in all honesty. LOL OK so that is a play on words.

Runamuk, I totally understand what you are saying about the dwarf characteristics you are talking about in your rabbits.  These are not life hindering tendencies that make the rabbits life miserable and difficult.  You also mentioned the non desirable dwarf characteristics.  If in fact dwarfism (I am not sure that is a word) only meant smaller than I don’t have a problem with it.  But I and I think everybody is talking about the characteristics that deform and cause skeletal and health issues and are a detriment to the animal for its entire life how ever short it may be.

530458[/snapback]

[SIZE=12pt]Well, after reading ALL 9 pages of this thread, I have to say I am a bit weary,
wacko.gif
but very glad to hear that the majority of people say they would NOT breed to, or breed a known dwarf producer!( mare or stallion)
aktion033.gif
[/SIZE]

I do think that is our only course of action at this point in time. I do not know why anyone would knowingly breed a known dwarf producer, mare or stallion, other than greed, or stupidity!

I believe that EDUCATION is a very important thing when breeding Miniature Horses or any other animal. Many people do not even know that dwarfism in the Miniature Horse exists! And I too believe that many people are breeding horses with dwarf characteristics, and don't even realize it, which is very sad to me.
sad.gif

Most people know that I have a BIG soft spot in my heart for the dwarf minis, and that I have adopted 7 over the last 10 years and that I still have 6, I lost my beloved Little Bit 2 1/2 years ago.
sad.gif
My dwarves are my pride and joy, and it just REALLY makes me cringe when I hear people describing dwarf minis as "hideous" or "unsightly"!!!!
sad.gif
My dwarf minis are the most beautiful little horses in the world to me. It also upsets me when people say that dwarf minis are suffering or in pain. Yes, some dwarf minis can be so deformed that the only humane thing to do for them is to euthanize them at birth, but there are SO many other dwarf minis that can live a good healthy, happy life with just some extra care, whether it be the use of the *Magic Shoes* to help them walk better, or keeping them out of a herd of Miniatures where they are mistreated, or being put on a joint supplement at an early age. Yes, dwarf minis are a HUGE commitment and I certainly do not recommend them for everyone, but they do deserve a chance at a good life, just as children who are not "perfect" in our eyes!
smile.gif

Here is the address for the article I wrote on "Dwarfism In The Miniature Horse",

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/dmh/

and here is an article that John Eberth wrote; perhaps this will help explain the technical aspects of dwarfism in the Miniature Horse.
smile.gif

Genetics

John Eberth

To begin I will start with what is known that is 100% true and scientifically accurate and correct.

There are many different phenotypes of dwarfism, which means there are many different types of dwarfs that have different problems and physical abnormalities.

That being said, there are obviously many different mutations in different genes causing these different dwarf types.

With that you need to consider which type(s) is/are the most prevalent and each sample of each type being identical in its abnormalities to be consistent in it phenotype.

OK, now the most prevalent type I have seen and documented is a type that is very similar to cattle dwarfism, which shows symptoms and phenotypes consistent with a human type of dwarfism called achondroplasia. This type of dwarfism in humans by chance (or maybe not) is also the most prevalent type of dwarfism in humans as well.

Now in order to be an achondroplasic dwarf in humans you must have one parent that is an achondroplasic dwarf or be an achondroplasic person born by two normal parents from a spontaneous mutation in a bone growth gene, I will spare you the specifics, but this type of dwarfism is called a dominant genotype, which means that if you have even only one copy of the gene you show the disease, so a human with Dd heterozygous genotype is a dwarf, dd is a normal person, and DD is a homozygous genotype dwarf, which is worse than Dd.

Now for miniature horses it is different, a dwarf of achondroplasic characteristics, is born to two parents that look like normal horses. This is what is called a recessive genotype, which means you can have the mutated gene and not show the disease. This means that a horse that looks normal can carry a mutated gene recessively and not show the disease characteristics, or phenotype. So, in order for a dwarf to be born, both horses, sire AND dam MUST carry the gene to produce a dwarf. THIS IS A FACT for a recessive disease gene to show its phenotype, both the sire and dam are carriers of the diseased gene, and BOTH passed their copy of that diseased gene to the foal that shows the phenotype of the disease. So it takes both the sire and dam to make a dwarf.

Now the statistical calculations are not complicated but in order for simplicity I will tell you that if two horses, that are carriers of the recessive diseased gene are mated, you have a 25% chance of the foal being a dwarf. Now those calculations are based on the total number of potential offspring that both of the horses could produce in a lifetime from the billions of sperm and millions of eggs that could be used to reproduce within the approx. 25 years of reproductive viability of the mare and stallion. So you need to put things in statistical context if you can.

I know of stallions that have never produced a dwarf, I know mares that have never produced a dwarf, I know stallions that didn't produce a dwarf for 10 years then bam, I know mares that didn't produce a dwarf for 10 or more years then bam, so it needs to be put into statistical context. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

I know stallions that have a dwarf every year, I know mares that have had 2 or 3 dwarfs, so try to see the mathematical picture if you can. You are playing Russian Roulette.

I do believe a large portion of miniatures are carriers of a type of dwarf gene, remember there are many types. But I know for statistical fact that there are mares and stallions that do not carry any type of dwarf gene, now I know more stallions than mares and that is because of numbers and those numbers used to calculate statistical significance for gene carriers. Now if we are talking about achondroplasia then I can give you better numbers. It would be ludicrous for me to speculate total breed percentages because of the bad label any horse gets from producing a dwarf, so many people lie about if a horse has produced one or not, so it could be a very large number or it could be smaller than any of us think. But what I know that exists in all the bloodlines somewhere, I would think the percentage will be greater than 25%- 50% for achondroplasia, that does not count the other types of dwarfism I KNOW exist and are more rare, so the total percentage of horses that are carriers of some type of dwarfism is going to be high.

There has been some research done, pretty much all done by UC Davis Genetics Lab and University of Kentucky Equine Genetics Lab. Both have preliminary information but there is nothing that I know of as of now that is anything other than speculative and no formal articles or definitive results. This is because of lack of public funding from AMHA or any other donator. There are no science articles per say that are from any peer review journals that have been written on this disease in our breed so you won't find any scientific info either. The sample "dwarfs" used by UC Davis were very limited and I do not know how many different types of dwarfism there were of the samples they have, I do know there were many different types I saw them. The same is the case for UK, however, in my research I have collected more samples than both schools combined and of the same phenotype. I know these things because of my internship on dwarfism at UC Davis under the late Dr. Ann Bowlingin 1994, and my own graduate studies at UK. Understand that there are many different types of dwarfism and/or skeletal bone growth abnormalities. So you cannot put all "dwarfs" in the same category. The different phenotypes seen means there are different mutations in different genes, so it is quite complicated. I have done some work in this area at UK for my graduate studies, and at the time, I took over what UK had done to try and get somewhere.

My research is privately funded by me, so it is taking much more time than normal. I am not doing this as an ego trip, but on the contrary, my business and my life has been in this breed, so that said, I am looking to better the breed not for me, but for it as a whole. This has nothing to do with bloodlines or farm names, but of breeding a better horse, and making it easier for everyone to do so. Because believe me, there are lots of horses of all bloodlines that are carriers, but there are some statistically that are definitely not carriers, so it is just a matter of time and money to find the mutated gene and develop a marker for a test for it.

I do strongly feel that a horse that is a recessive carrier still be able to be registered and used for breeding. My reasons are simple, one is that I know many extremely good quality specimens of miniatures that for all purposes is of great genotype and phenotype quality desired in this breed but that are also recessive carriers, second that there are other horse breeds that have diseases that are tested for and those horses that test as carriers still can be registered and bred, one example is HYPP in quarter horses. I do feel that if and when a test is designed that all miniatures must be tested and designated on there papers if they are a carrier and obviously if a horse is tested and comes back as a dwarf and not just a carrier then there will be absolutely no reason for dwarfs to be able to still get registered in our breed registry, like what is going on right now. The third reason I have, is that when two carriers are bred you only have a 25% chance of producing a dwarf, interestingly you also have a 25% chance of producing a foal that is homozygous normal or the ability to produce foals 100% of the time that are normal even if that foal is later bred to carriers, so there is a lot there to be used for the betterment of the breed if people would just learn some basic things about genetic inheritance, and they are very basic.

To also answer another question about inheritance. For the achondroplasia type of dwarfism I commonly see in miniatures, it is right now thought of as a disease that is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait, which means to show the disease the foal ABSOLUTELY HAS TO HAVE EACH COPY OF THE GENE COME FORM BOTH PARENTS. Now the only way you can get a dwarf foal and that foal to have only one copy of the gene and show the characteristics is if the disease is inherited as an autosomal dominant, which means one of the parents would be a dwarf. If you have a mutated gene that causes a disease and that mutated gene is DOMINANT over the normal gene, then you only need one copy of the mutated gene to show the disease. Now, the ALL the dwarfisms in the miniatures that I have seen are the results of dwarfs from normal parents, meaning this is a recessive mutated gene, and it takes two to show the disease, this is NOT a dominant disease where it only takes one copy to show, if it did all carriers would be dwarfs, do you follow.

Now if someone bred a miniature dwarf to a normal horse the foal would be normal UNLESS the normal parent was actually a carrier then the foal has a 50% chance of being a dwarf.

What you are asking about when a horse that looks normal but has some slight characteristics that look like a dwarf, i.e., extremely dished head, is that does that horse carry the recessive dwarf gene. Well, I am going to give you an answer that has not been scientifically proven in the case of the miniature horse but other similar instances like this that have been scientifically proven to occur. What I am about to tell you involves very complicated dominant and recessive gene interactions and there is really no way I will be able to fully explain this unless I had diagrams to show you what happens. There are some terms for what you see in miniatures, they are called penetrance and expressivity of recessive genes that become co-expressed or over-expressed with its counterpart dominant gene. These terms generalize what is actually a very complicated biochemical interaction between regulator genes of those genes that now are co-expressed. Just so you know there are actually anywhere from a handful to dozens of regulator genes that regulate the expression or productivity of a single gene or genes that produce either a structural characteristic or a protein that is involved in the life support of the body. In simple terms, your eye color is the light bulb that is on, there are a multitude of genes that make that eye color appear in your eye just like there are a multitude of switches and fuses that allow that light bulb to turn on.

So what is going on in the miniature is that those horses that have characteristics that might be slightly like a dwarf means that that horse most likely is carrying the dwarf gene recessively, however because there is penetrance or expressivity occurring you are seeing that recessive gene being co-expressed with the dominant normal gene. No, this has not been proven scientifically as fact in the miniatures, but the same type of thing occurs in every organism known to man at some point and time with any number of dominant and recessive genes. I will give you a basic example. In certain flowers that have the red color gene as a dominant color gene, and the white color gene as a recessive gene, there occurs in some strains that are carrying both genes that the color of the flower to be pink. Now do not get fictional here, the red and white do not combine and fade the color out. On the cellular level, the color cells on the flower's petals, actually are red cells and white cells of approx. equal numbers, causing the pink color. Now, technically this is called co-dominance of the color genes, however, the white is a generally is a recessive color gene in flowers, but because of penetrance and expressivity of the recessive gene being co-expressed with the dominant gene you get to see both causing a different color.

So what I am saying is that in my professional opinion, the horses that are showing slight dwarf characteristics but overall are normal looking, they most likely are carriers of the recessive dwarf gene with penetrance expressivity. So in my opinion those miniatures showing some penetrance of certain characteristics of the dwarf gene are just as good as one that is just a carrier, HOWEVER, AND IT IS A BIG HOWEVER , I would NOT AT ALL breed a horse with a monkey mouth, or a short neck, and I SURE would not breed a horse that had a bad mouth, short neck AND an extremely dished head, all in one horse, that could very well be an actual dwarf, just a really good one that is functionally better than most. Just like there are "tall" dwarfs in humans!!!!! REMEMBER a monkey mouth is an undesirable inferior characteristic, it actually can be in and of itself a separate genetic defect from the dwarf characteristics, because it is seen in large horse breeds that obviously are not carriers of the dwarf gene. The short neck is an inferior trait as well, the dished head is really one person's opinion since you see Arabians and their heads and you know we all are breeding for an Arabian type head, so there will be varying opinions on if that is an inferior trait due to dwarf gene or is it an actual sound gene that is producing a dished head.?? We don't know!!! AN extreme head I would question, and it will probably obvious if I saw it if I thought it was actually from the penetrance of the dwarf gene. I do not feel that these extreme headed horses are any worse than a carrier that "shows no dwarf characteristics," AND genetically there are not. BUT, if you want to get technical here, the miniature is a dwarf pony, but has conformation that is physiologically and biomechanically sound, and has conformation that falls within correct basic horse conformation standards,ie correct bite, straight legs. Remember there is no test and some things are personal opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand by my word that if I had a stallion that produced a dwarf, I would geld him, and not re-breed the mare. I did do that in my breeding program. If that means that I have my head in the sand, then I guess I do, but at least I know that I am doing my best to be a responsible breeder. I am a small time breeder and don't produce enough foals every year to risk having a dwarf, let alone what the poor mare and foal go through. I've witnessed it and just couldn't bring myself to do that on purpose ever again! Edited to add: I absolutely LOVED my little dwarf. He was an Angel. It was so heartbreaking to lose him that I wouldn't want to put myself and the mare through it again.

I'm wondering, if it's an "okay" thing to breed a stallion that has produced dwarves, why is it such a hush hush thing? Why don't the big breeders broadcast that the stallion has produced dwarves? In my opinion, if it's such a hush hush thing, there is a reason for it! Just my opinion!
wink.gif

Little bit thanks for posting that and I hope everyone reads it I mean truly reads it.......

Just for some background....... I would just like to say that the info by John Eberth was originally written to me in a series of emails in response to questions I asked him about his research on dwarfism.

I did ask his permission to share it with others and to allow it to be made into an article and webpage. I quoted him word for word.

If you notice in this quote, John does state that in his opinion, carriers should be allowed to be bred and his reasons.

I do strongly feel that a horse that is a recessive carrier still be able to be registered and used for breeding. My reasons are simple, one is that I know many extremely good quality specimens of miniatures that for all purposes is of great genotype and phenotype quality desired in this breed but that are also recessive carriers, second that there are other horse breeds that have diseases that are tested for and those horses that test as carriers still can be registered and bred, one example is HYPP in quarter horses. I do feel that if and when a test is designed that all miniatures must be tested and designated on there papers if they are a carrier and obviously if a horse is tested and comes back as a dwarf and not just a carrier then there will be absolutely no reason for dwarfs to be able to still get registered in our breed registry, like what is going on right now. The third reason I have, is that when two carriers are bred you only have a 25% chance of producing a dwarf, interestingly you also have a 25% chance of producing a foal that is homozygous normal or the ability to produce foals 100% of the time that are normal even if that foal is later bred to carriers, so there is a lot there to be used for the betterment of the breed if people would just learn some basic things about genetic inheritance, and they are very basic.

Susan O.

Little Bit said:

... I believe that EDUCATION is a very important thing when breeding Miniature Horses or any other animal. Many people do not even know that dwarfism in the Miniature Horse exists! And I too believe that many people are breeding horses with dwarf characteristics, and don't even realize it, which is very sad to me.
sad.gif

Most people know that I have a BIG soft spot in my heart for the dwarf minis, and that I have adopted 7 over the last 10 years and that I still have 6, I lost my beloved Little Bit 2 1/2 years ago. 
sad.gif
My dwarves are my pride and joy, and it just REALLY makes me cringe when I hear people describing dwarf minis as "hideous" or "unsightly"!!!!
sad.gif
  My dwarf minis are the most beautiful little horses in the world to me.  ...

530474[/snapback]

Little Bit, I very much enjoyed your post. Even sadder is some are breeding horses with dwarf characteristics and DO realize it.
no.gif

I remember your Little Bit with great fondness and anyone who could call these special ones hideous is without conscience--the only thing I can do is consider the source of those comments and dismiss it.

Thank you Little Bit that was very interesting.

Runamuk I did read it word for word. I think I realize what you are trying to say and actually I dont feel that my perspective is oh so different from yours. Let me try to explain better.

I know there are a lot of carriers out there. The only ones we can be sure of are those that have actually produced a dwarf. I also agree that there are many types of dwarf genes and many different manifestations of such genes. Like you and John have said, not all of them have produced bad effects, i.e. dished faces, tiny ears, etc. These characteristics are often stamped by line breeding and making that recessive character a dominant so to speak by creating a pool of animals that carry only the recessive gene. This can be good or it can be bad. When I make my statements I am under the assumption that everybody is inside my head and understanding the gears that are turning and are going to understand the words that come out of this thought. LOL When I refer to dwarf and producers of dwarves, I am of course referring to those that cause skeletal, as well as internal problems for the poor receiver of such genes.

I still have to say that I would not knowingly continue to breed an animal that had produced such undesireable characteristics.

Again, I am enjoying the civility, thought and knowledge that has been going on with this thread. Thanks to all participants.
aktion033.gif

Removing all horses with a dwarf gene from the breeding pool, over a certain number of years, would not result in horses over 35"- why would you think that?? I am still not convinced in any way that dwarfism causes height reduction- I think all it produces is Dwarfs- minimal and otherwise.

My whole herd is Dwarf free- over twenty five years over line and in breeding and not a single dwarf foal, hand on heart!!

Not one of my animals is over 33" by our measurement- which makes them all around 30-31" by your standards, Rabbit is the same more or less, by each method as he is usually too fat for it to make a difference and being old style he has low withers it made him around 261/2" in his youth, when he was slim and fit!!!

There is no Dwarf genetic in my herd.

I do not have over 35" horses.

It can be done.

Perhaps we should be doing the exporting in the other direction!!!!
smile.gif

Janell...I want to tell to you what an amazing Woman I think you are. The Love you have for these special horses touchs my heart. You are indeed a gift from God...down here helping these little ones. Gods work the most important ever!

When looking at your little ones...I only see beautiful little happy faces!!!

God Bless YOU,

Lisa

If it becomes a "rule" that dwarf producers are no longer allowed in the gene pool, or if it in any way becomes a mark against a mini that produces one, then you can be sure that you will not hear about many dwarves being born. Suddenly the mini world will "look" cleaner. Why? frankly folks because there will be many many breeders that will start making sure that no one knows if their horse stallion or mare has produced one. The dwarf foals will not make it past their first day. You can be sure that if a top producing stallion or even one at a smaller farm produces one that will surely end his career as a breeding stallion, then some people will make sure that you dont know about it. Doesnt mean that it didnt happen...or wont happen again in the future, but because this subject is such a touchy one, with no real scientific proof as to the cause, & it has become more of a stigma against its parents with different opinions from many many people, then you will find that many of them will be disappearing. Frankly, if a top producing stallion that has produced many top producing offspring does pop one out & the rule is in place, what happens to all the offspring? What happens if you have thousands of dollars in the offspring, have produced normal foals at your home, yet its sire has popped out a dwarf? Should your mare or stallion then be taken out of breeding, because it carries the gene? Should its foals also be taken out of the gene pool? How many generations back will it effect? And it can be effected at any time as long as a horse is breeding, even a stallion that is 20 years old can sire a dwarf, think of how many generation of offspring already out there breeding this will effect? And as others have stated, some foals start out normal, & begin to show signs of dwarfism as they mature, so how are you to know? Just something to think about.

Whitestar.. I agree with you however that is no different then it is today I dont see big farms openly talking about THERE dwarves born on there farm or anything like that. It is and will continue to be a dirty little secret until a test is found and then... it cant be anymore

Whitestar said:
Frankly, if a top producing stallion that has produced many top producing offspring does pop one out & the rule is in place, what happens to all the offspring? What happens if you have thousands of dollars in the offspring, have produced normal foals at your home, yet its sire has popped out a dwarf? Should your mare or stallion then be taken out of breeding, because it carries the gene? Should its foals also be taken out of the gene pool? How many generations back will it effect? And it can be effected at any time as long as a horse is breeding, even a stallion that is 20 years old can sire a dwarf, think of how many generation of offspring already out there breeding this will effect? 
But statistically, if a horse produces a dwarf and is not homozygous for that gene, then it will also have the same chance at producing a horse that is not a carrier of that gene. From a recesive gene that both parents are heterozygous for you have the following:

25% of inheriting a double recessive (full blown dwarf)

50% of inheriting a single recessive (dwarf gene carrier)

25% chance of not inheriting the recessive (clear of the dwarf gene)

So, if you eliminate the parents, you should still let the offspring breed as long as they are not a dwarf or as long as they don't produce a dwarf. In this way you start to cut down the number of dwarf carriers. Not allowing dwarf producers to breed should only effect the immediate animal that produced a dwarf as one can't say for sure where the gene came from UNLESS a parent is a full blown dwarf.

But then what about the offspring's market value because their parents produced a dwarf... Well, it is my opinion that ALL of the bloodlines that we treasure have produced dwarves in them. It is the risk that a breeder should understand before they breed. The risk doesn't change from what it is today. It would be no different than it is today when someone knows that such and such famous horse produced a dwarf. And we all know that some of the most famous have produced dwarves, yet they are still being used and the offspring still in demand. This wouldn't change if one started to cull the dwarf producers IMO. The offspring would only increase in value as they carry the genetic traits of the parents but have not been proven to produce dwarves themselves. The key is looking at the individual and questioning what they produce, not looking at the parents and grandparents. Again, statistically, some of the horses would be free from the bad gene(s) that everyone is concerned about.

And like runamuk stated I think there are many different kinds of dwarfism traits. But, in reality we only want to focus on those traits that cause the deformities that are not part of our breed standard.

And the info from Mr. Eberth is very valuable. I thank him for that information and it is a great start to finding answers for the future and what he stated makes huge amounts of sense to me. His writings are the most thought out that I have seen from the miniature horse people, and I apploud his work.

But I do have to disagree with him in one part. Since we don't have a test, and by his way of reasoning not all minis will carry the gene, then we can start to change how much this is being passed on by eliminating some individuals from breeding again once they have been confirmed that they produce dwarves.

And, since the writing of that information, our population and quality of minis has increased by leaps and bounds. Since we have so many miniatures now, and so many really nice horses to choose from, we should not be concerned about the loss of some here or there. I still feel that if we take the approach of the Freisan registery and not allow the stallions to breed that have produced the dwarfs with the worst of the conformation issues, then we would be on the right road to trying to erradicate the worst of the deformities. The key is to remove stallions that are known carriers as they can produce more foals in a single breeding season than a mare can in her whole life. The Freisan registery does just that. They ask one to concider not using a mare that produced a dwarf, but force the stallion to be retired from the breeding shed once it has been proven to be a carrier. Yet they let the offspring continue to breed as those offspring will statistically contain some that are not carriers, and since they are not a dwarf themself, the have a up to a 50% chance of not being a carrier assuming that only one parent was a carrier.

And like Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said (great way to put it Lisa!!), once a test is developed for specific kinds of dwarfism, and once the registeries start to enforce testing, then the "dirty little secret" will not be able to be hidden any longer.

Kudos to Tagalong, Margo CT & runamuk. I don't need to do too much typing now
smile.gif
Awesome posts. Also, the quotes from large, long time breeders like Tony & Little King...priceless information.

There are many on here denying any dwarf genetics in their programs. I don't think that claim can be made without a test of every mini in your program, unfortunately a test we don't have right now. Many that are on here that absolutely, positively will not breed a horse that ever produced a

dwarf just don't realize they have it in their own herds. Even lines with known dwarves and known dwarf producers are listed in your signatures. I'm not trying to pick on anyone in particular, it's just something I've noticed while skimming through the posts. It just demonstrates that we all have so much to learn if we are going to be responsible mini breeders and improve the breed.

Lord of the Isles is not a freak occurence in a mini's pedigree, way back there, he is more the typical of what you'd find if you had pics of all minis in your horses' background. It is definitely a shock when you first see it, but hopefully everyone will learn and accept that if you are seriously breeding minis and improving the breed, avoiding producing full dwarves, etc, you must as John Eberth puts it "KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BREEDING". My belief is that all lines include the dwarf gene somewhere, but possibly not every mini.

Lisa, I believe that stallion you are referring to in your posts has produced many foals that could be carriers and many that do not even have one dwarf gene, certainly not almost all dwarves and if he's bred correctly, he may never produce another full dwarf. It seems through his foals he has proven to be a carrier, but not a full dwarf himself. My personal opinion would be that he should never be bred to another mare that is a carrier, because I, personally, am one that would not risk even the 25% chance the pair would have of producing a full dwarf.

With the percentages so high, there is no way I would breed a stallion that has produced a dwarf. What is really sad is how a breeder can put a price of $1,000.00 on a dwarf and some buyer may think that is a horse they can go on to breed because that is a good profit on a dwarf or maybe that it is cute !!!! Just seen one advertised on the sale board a few days ago. I basically agree with what is said below. A lot needs to be done to eliminate the chances of producing dwarfs. Thank you everyone for sharing the info. and giving your opinions. Mary

[but statistically, if a horse produces a dwarf and is not homozygous for that gene, then it will also have the same chance at producing a horse that is not a carrier of that gene. From a recesive gene that both parents are heterozygous for you have the following:

25% of inheriting a double recessive (full blown dwarf)

50% of inheriting a single recessive (dwarf gene carrier)

25% chance of not inheriting the recessive (clear of the dwarf gene)

So, if you eliminate the parents, you should still let the offspring breed as long as they are not a dwarf or as long as they don't produce a dwarf. In this way you start to cut down the number of dwarf carriers. Not allowing dwarf producers to breed should only effect the immediate animal that produced a dwarf as one can't say for sure where the gene came from UNLESS a parent is a full blown dwarf.

But then what about the offspring's market value because their parents produced a dwarf... Well, it is my opinion that ALL of the bloodlines that we treasure have produced dwarves in them. It is the risk that a breeder should understand before they breed. The risk doesn't change from what it is today. It would be no different than it is today when someone knows that such and such famous horse produced a dwarf. And we all know that some of the most famous have produced dwarves, yet they are still being used and the offspring still in demand. This wouldn't change if one started to cull the dwarf producers IMO. The offspring would only increase in value as they carry the genetic traits of the parents but have not been proven to produce dwarves themselves. The key is looking at the individual and questioning what they produce, not looking at the parents and grandparents. Again, statistically, some of the horses would be free from the bad gene(s) that everyone is concerned about.

And like runamuk stated I think there are many different kinds of dwarfism traits. But, in reality we only want to focus on those traits that cause the deformities that are not part of our breed standard.

And the info from Mr. Eberth is very valuable. I thank him for that information and it is a great start to finding answers for the future and what he stated makes huge amounts of sense to me. His writings are the most thought out that I have seen from the miniature horse people, and I apploud his work.

But I do have to disagree with him in one part. Since we don't have a test, and by his way of reasoning not all minis will carry the gene, then we can start to change how much this is being passed on by eliminating some individuals from breeding again once they have been confirmed that they produce dwarves.

And, since the writing of that information, our population and quality of minis has increased by leaps and bounds. Since we have so many miniatures now, and so many really nice horses to choose from, we should not be concerned about the loss of some here or there. I still feel that if we take the approach of the Freisan registery and not allow the stallions to breed that have produced the dwarfs with the worst of the conformation issues, then we would be on the right road to trying to erradicate the worst of the deformities. The key is to remove stallions that are known carriers as they can produce more foals in a single breeding season than a mare can in her whole life. The Freisan registery does just that. They ask one to concider not using a mare that produced a dwarf, but force the stallion to be retired from the breeding shed once it has been proven to be a carrier. Yet they let the offspring continue to breed as those offspring will statistically contain some that are not carriers, and since they are not a dwarf themself, the have a up to a 50% chance of not being a carrier assuming that only one parent was a carrier.

And like Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said (great way to put it Lisa!!), once a test is developed for specific kinds of dwarfism, and once the registeries start to enforce testing, then the "dirty little secret" will not be able to be hidden any longer.

530707[/snapback]

Back