Would you breed an older maiden mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsenut50

Reaction score
I have a 16 year old very healthy and well taken care of maiden mare. She has been a pet of mine for the last 15 years. This past year I purchased a lovely stallion and after showing him and seeing how well he's doing and how he does next year I will be using him as a stud. My question for all of you is would you chance breeding this mare? She is 36" and he is 37.50". I know as always you have a chance of losing a mare in foaling but what are the odds of losing her because she is maiden at this age? I'm on the fence of breeding her because I would be devistated to lose her but on the other hand also know at her age it would be hard to get her in foal but would love to have a foal out of her to keep. She is a Flying W Farms Legionaire granddaughter that I just love. It's now or never. What's your take on this?

There are pros and cons both directions. I would get the Vet to do a pre-breeding exam, and even then it could be risky. On the other hand, my daughter in laws 20 year old maiden mare was bred accidently and delivered, but this was a full size horse. I've also heard that some times the cervix doesn't dialate in an older mare thats never been bred, but never have I experienced it, but then I've never bred an older maiden mare. Hopefully someone with experience with your question can give you a better answer.

I dont think I would chance it, especially with a special mare that I had owned all that time, I just wouldn't want to risk it. Sorry, not being very helpful from a medical point of view, just going on the 'sentimental' side of things.

I would be really worried to chance it, especially if she is so special to you. I am not sure as I am still learning, but I am of the understanding that if they are not bred by around 5 years of age or so that their pelvis basically fuses so it would be very hard for them to expand enough to deliver the foal and could have terrible consequences.

We had an old full sized mare in her 20's that passed the vet check for breeding with flying colors. Her uterus etc.. was in EXCELLENT shape. We ended up not breeding her anyhow but she was listed as breeding sound.

Have your vet do a check but since she has not had previous problems, etc... I dont know why she wouldnt be ok to breed

There are many things to consider here...has she been cycling all these years on a regular basis or at least since you have had your stallion? I would take her into a vet and have tests done to find out if she is able to carry a foal and what your vet also feels. Have him do a uterin byopsy on her and full blood work.

You will always get a dozen different answers to your question! The chances of her conceiving, carrying and foaling safely or not are 50-50...If the uterin byopsy comes back as negative of course there is your very obvious answer!

I know of two different mares, full sized that were bred for their first foal as 20+ years old and they did just fine. If you are really concerned that you will loose your beloved mare, which mind you can happen with any mare, large or small, then I wouldn't do it! If you really want a foal from your stallion why not go out and purchase another younger mare!

Good Luck and Blessings,

Jenny

I think whatever the age, and whether or not they have foaled before, we always risk the life of our mares when deciding to breed. Others have brought up many good thoughts here for you to consider. She is on the larger side. If she were a small Mini, I'd probably say a definite 'no'. Minis of all sizes are notoriously difficult to get in foal, so even if you do decide to breed her, you might be looking at a couple of years further on, to settle her.

I wish you luck with whatever your decision.

Lizzie

I will not be breeding Cookie as it is too much of a risk to take with the possibility of losing her. She's far too precious to me to take the chance. Hind site is 20/20 but I should have bred her years ago. I will be looking to get a couple of quality mares next year to show and breed. Thank you for everyones input.
default_smile.png
Much appreciated.

What you might consider, if you like her type and quality very much, is to seek out some siblings and see what they have produced. This way, you might be able to find some mares or fillies, closely related. Just a thought.

Lizzie

I will not be breeding Cookie as it is too much of a risk to take with the possibility of losing her. She's far too precious to me to take the chance. Hind site is 20/20 but I should have bred her years ago. I will be looking to get a couple of quality mares next year to show and breed. Thank you for everyones input.
default_smile.png
Much appreciated.
I think your decision is in the best interest of your beloved mare, and your heart. I applaude you for thinking of your beloved horse first! Good luck in your search for brood mares, and go hug your beloved mare she sounds like a gem!

I think you've made the best choice for your mare. I've always been told a maiden should be no younger then 3 and no older then 15. Often for minis they scale that 15 down to 12 or even 10!

I'm glad you've had such a long and special relationship with your mare! Somthing like that is certainly somthing to be treasured.

default_smile.png
Much appreciated.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I have two fillies who were born here--now 2 and 4 years. I will not be breeding them and if they don't stay here for their life time (that's the plan)
default_wink.png
, I'd have to find a home that would consider them pets.

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad to hear that you have decided not to breed.
default_yes.gif

Wishing you good luck with finding a nice couple of younger mares for your future programme.

After the age of 13, the cervix may have difficulty stretching. It will have no problem with conception, but foaling can be a disaster. I personally don't breed any maiden teenagers without informing the owner of the potential risk. If they have had a foal before they are fine, I'm only talking about maidens.

It depends. There's a risk any time you breed. I don't think the height difference is material as long as your stallion is refined but things can still go wrong. Probabkt won't, but can. We lost the first mare we chose to breed and the regret and guilt were crushng. She was a great pet, nice to show and fun to drive. Useful for many things other than breeding. We just got very unlucjy. If things went as they more likely would have, I'd still own and love "Goldie" and would probably also be enjoying her offspring. Best of luck, and peace of mind, with whatever you decide to do.

PS you may also want a vet exam and opinion if you decide you'd like to proceed.

Thank you for all of your insight. I am so glad to be a part of a knowledgeable group of people. I think I'm making the best decision for my girl as I know I would not be able to live with myself if I lost her. She is a gem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back