Would you AMHA futurity nominate?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Depends (list your "depends")

• Total voters

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Ok, well I am going to send my stallion reports in for
default_wub.png
Thunder here in a few days. Hopefully I have two beautiful(and of course healthy) foals on the way from him. Both of the mares are AMHA and AMHR as well, so for sure the foals will be registered with both registeries. So here's my question (I know its really up to me, but I'd love to hear you all's imput) Would you nominate him and the mares in the futurity program? Why or Why not? Pro's, Con's? Just anything at all.

Also vote as to which one. On A should I do the Halter too, or just wait till the foals are born and do the performances? Just anything like that!!!

Thanks!!!!

Limited on money to, so trying to decide if its really worth it or not.

We nominate ALL of our foals for the AMHR Futurities. It's not expensive and you can win some $$. If you have one that's not so special you don't have to sustain them the next year.

We haven't done the AMHA Futurities because they are so expensive.... but we are debating whether to try it this year. We like the AOTE Futurity and want to give it a try.

Lucy

I have done the AMHA Futurity for years, and several years it has paid for my World show.
default_smile.png
Have nominated for AMHR futurity the past year or so but have not shown in it yet. It's worthwhile to me in terms of marketing as well as showing myself - I think it helps to have a horse that is futurity nominated - more saleable to many folks.

Jan

I nominated several of my foals and a couple of stallions a couple of years ago, before they changed the rules. It used to be $100 per stallion and $150 per foal before they were 2 months old. I liked it that way as you could be sure you had a live healthy foal before you nominated them, plus you had time to get an idea if the foal was going to be a good one or not.

Now it is $200 per stallion and $50 per mare that is in foal. The trouble with this one is you either have to ultrasound your mares to make sure they are in foal, or gamble that they are and that you do not have them abort or have the foal die or end up with a dwarf.

This new system is more like the big horses futurities, but the big horses do not have as much trouble with foaling like the little ones.

Needless to say, I did not nominate anything for next years futurity classes, and sold the ones that were nominated last year. So, no futurity classes next year. I bought a mare that is in foal to a stallion who is going to be nominated, so I will nominate her for $50. But I am not sure I will go any further. Too expensive.

But, on the other hand, I did win enough money this year to cover all of my futurity expenses, including entrys and stalls.

I do AMHR because I attend that show not the other, also it is far cheaper and , my foal as a three year old can go in both halter and performance for the same price. I have some AMHA mares now going to foal next year but, I dont think there is enough interest to have them double futurity nominated. I have earned enough to cover my nationals expenses in the futurity also, the year Carbon was three it was 900.!

Lyn

I do AMHR because I attend that show not the other, also it is far cheaper and , my foal as a three year old can go in both halter and performance for the same price.

Same here. It's cheap to enter the AMHR Futurity ($25 per stallion and $5 per in-foal mare) and the mare I had at Nationals this year won nearly $700.
default_smile.png
It's definitely worth it to me to nominate my foals.

I love the AMHA futurity, we usually pay for our entries at the Worlds every year. This year we were lucky and paid for much more then that.

I to prefer the old way too (for the A) and I like how it went for 2 yr olds also. In 2010 its just yearlings only. One shot is all.

I also nominate for the R we havent been to the R nationals for awhile but lots and lots of people attend and I think its a good marketing skill. The only thing I dont like about the R is having to keep nominating, I wish they would do a flat fee and be done with it.

One more thing,

Arielle received just shy of 1500.00 to win the AOTE 2 yr class and 2800 or so for the Grand Champion AOTE Futurity. I believe Calvin and Double each got 800 + for reserve in their open futurity classes. Paybacks are really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have already nominated my two in-utero foals with AMHR, and I plan to nominate them for the AMHA PERFORMANCE futurity, as well as the local club futurities. The foals are performance-bred, and the rates to nominate for the performance futurity are relatively low: $25 each (Driving and Hunter) for foals 0-3 months old, no stallion nomination required. I figure by the time they are 3 year-olds, I will want to go to the World Show. I will have extra vacation time by then, so maybe I will go to both Nationals and Worlds that year. Who knows?!

In 2010 its just yearlings only. One shot is all.

WPsellwood.

What do you mean by this? Will they stop having a futurity in 2010 incept for the yearlings? Not 2yr old futurity classes?
default_new_shocked.gif

Also, thanks for everyone's imput, I'm going to try and nominate at least in AMHA Performance/AMHR futurities/ Club futurities. Only problem I see with the AMHA Halter futurity is as said, its expensive for a gamble. I guess I need to make up my mind if its worth that gamble or not. I do plan on showing at worlds one day, and it would be nice to get some money back :) Also the same with AMHR. I do like the AMHR Super G program as well.

Does AMHA have anything like the Super G?

Thanks so much!
default_saludando.gif

I don't know anything about furturity to say for sure. I just think they should have them on the regonial leval though because I do not have the ability to travle to worlds. Yes, I am spoiled and want it all in my back yard. LOL
default_wink.png

I futurity nominate my foals for AMHR & ASPC. I don't show AMHA, have no interest in showing AMHA, therefore don't see a reason to participate in that futurity program.

We have AMHA futurity nominated Cowboy and Skipper for a number of years now and been very pleased with the results however, with the changes put in place (having to nominate mares early on) it has become too much of a gamble for us.
default_sad.png
It gets pretty pricey to nominate mares when you don't know if they will carry foals to term.

I am very disappointed in the changes made in AMHA's futurity program. When we showed R we kept foals nominated for that futurity and I feel it is a very good program for those who are showing R at this time. I'm hoping we can go back to showing some of our personal horses in R before we get too old, then they will be nominated again. After all, Nationals is practically in our back yard for Pete's sake!

Charlotte

Yep next year is the last year for the 2 yr futurity.
default_sad.png
which keeps me bringing my 2 yrs to the world show. Now if I show them as yearlings I can save money and leave them home less money that come to the world show. They (whoever voted on it,) changed the entire program to the new fees, now there is yearling class futurity for open amt and aote. Plus the seperate performance futurity.

If you go the AMHA website it has a break down when they all phase out.

Oh wow!!! After all the input, and thinking about it, I will only be doing the AMHA performance futurity(as its very reasonable birth-3 months, and then you KNOW your foal is alive and healthy), and then I have three years until they show in the performance classes, hopefully by then I will be attending AMHA worlds on a regular basis. Also will do the AMHR as I show in them most all the time. May do a few of the club futurities as well, but won't be in the AMHA halter part, to me its just too big of a gamble to only get to go show in halter 1 YR!?
default_new_shocked.gif

Thanks so much everyone!

I also nominate for the R we havent been to the R nationals for awhile but lots and lots of people attend and I think its a good marketing skill. The only thing I dont like about the R is having to keep nominating, I wish they would do a flat fee and be done with it.

I believe that AMHR does offer this option, to pay a horse's nominations at all once, but I would have to check to be absolutely sure. Does anyone else know?

Latest posts

Back