Would Like Opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefeather

Reaction score
Hi All,

Since Nationals is right around the corner, I have a question that I would like youall to give me your opinions/thoughts on. We are taking a yearling stallion. I do not like to work my yearlings hard, we give him about 10 minutes a day in the round pen, which has sand in it. He is kept up in the daytime and let out at night in his paddock. I used to let him play with another yearling, but we are leaving next Wednesday, so if he got bit, he wouldn't have time to heal. Anyway, I feel he is just slightly overweight, but also, I don't want him 'just right' because it seems that my horses (even those 'seasoned') will shrink a little with hauling and the new surroundings. So, I guess my question is, do you guys have that with your show horses? I have left before with a 'just right' (IMO) horse and then he seems a little slimmer than I like when showing.

Thanks for your opinions/thoughts.

Pam

Some do lose a little -- for all the reasons you mention, hauling, stress, etc. I've not had one lose big time but, something you can notice -- especially as closely as they are kept and watched. If you think it was a touch too much, try some electrolytes. Sometimes this helps them keep water intake up, which can be a cause of some of the loss you see....always carry water from home, just in case. Some actually use flavoring in their water to keep the taste the same from place to place. And some just don't eat the same during the trip, losing some that way.

I totally agree with Bess Kelly. Horses will often drop weight from the transport, not drinking as much water....etc.....

You'll find a number of trainers will bring their horses' a number of days early just because of this reason. It gives the horses a chance to settle, rehydrate, and get into a program prior to the show.

MA

Yep, some more than others. I try to have a little heavier horse, as they lose weight(appearance wise anyway), before going to the show. Fascination especially used to 'shrink'--she wouldn't eat and would barely drink. Didn't matter what we tempted her with; she was too excited! Fortunately she has settled down a lot and eats and drinks well now.
smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]My yearling Indy is also a bit on the heavier side. I have also found that they lose on the two day trip to nationals. We leave early enough so that we are there on wed as soon as you can get in even though I dont show till saturday in the pmc classes and most of my horses wont show till sunday. I dont intentionally fatten anyone up for the trip but it seems that the more they are stalled prior to leaving if I dont cut back the feed a bit they will be portly starting the trip.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Pam, On a couple of my "just right" ones, I have just upped their grain a bit. I want them to fluff on a few more pounds before we leave. They usually do loose a bit due to stress. We're leaving Wednesday too, so we'll see you there!
aktion033.gif

I can only hope mine drop a few pounds enroute. We've been fighting the battle of the bulge all year - we are showing all mature geldings and that has a little bit to do with it but also though their feed program is very good, all the little extras they tend to get with the kids around all the time and too many horse treats all add up.

Thanks guys for the info. Guess I'll not worry about him being 'just right.' Going for FUN anyways!!

Yep, Laura, see youall next week!!
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back