Worms-Don't ASSUME your safe!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bealsbarnyard

Reaction score
Don't ASSUME you're safe!! I had to put a beautiful 8 month old filly down yesterday. This filly was born on my farm, was on a STRICT vaccination and de-worming schedule. She coliced, the vet was out in less than ½ hour. We treated her all day with no relief, when it was obvious that nothing else could be done I had to make the decision to put her out of her pain and let her go. It was very hard but when the vet asked if I wanted her to see what happened I agreed. What we found just made us stand there with our mouths open. She was full of small strongyles!!!! The inside of her intestines were hemorrhaged the lining was bumpy not smooth, my vet explained that those were stage 3 and 4 larvae! I just couldn't believe it, this filly never missed a de-worming and I always rotated what I used. The vet explained that worms are becoming resistant to the de-wormers we use and are not getting killed off! So what we all believe is the best for our horses may be slowly killing them. We must all do FECALS on a regular basis so we know if the de-wormers are being effective. I was under the assumption that I was doing what was best for my horses and ASSUMED the de-wormers were doing the job intended I was very WRONG. All my horses started the Safe-Guard power pack today for the 5 days recommended by my vet. She will be doing more research for me so we can make sure this does not happen again. I don't want this to happen to you, please do some FECALS please talk to your vets to make sure worms are under control. Don't ASSUME you have worms controlled as I did. I now feel my filly did not die for no reason she died to save my other horses and to open my eyes and hopefully your eyes to the fact that worm are a big problem. Please put little "Sweet Dreams" in your prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh no! I am so sorry. Poor baby. So scarey that even when you do everything right that this can happen!

I'm so sorry you lost your filly! :no: Deworming is so important and doing a fecal is the best way to find out if your worming program is working and if you need to change it.

I am so sorry that you lost your filly....... Thanks for sharing your story with others................. We have always been on a regular deworming program but noticed worms in one of our weanlings once. We did the Safe Guard deworming program also. I have read that horses are becoming immune to dewormers also.

OMG I am all freaked out now. I actually called my vet to see what she recommends me to do. I don't want anything to happen to my horses.

My vet happened to be out of town and so I had to leave a message for another vet in her office.

I wonder if it would make sense to use Panacur for 5 days in a row every 6 months or so.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your filly. It's scary to think that worms could become immune to the wormers. Yuck!

I am very sorry for your loss. As hard as it must have been to share this story, thank you for the warning. Your little girl could in fact help thousands. I am so sorry you had to be the one to experience it though.

I power pac every year and always used to do it in February. This fall I was doing some research on line and went to the Panacur site. I was surprised to find a map of the US and that Feb was not the right time for me to do this. In the Northwest we are to do it in November. So I have switched and do it each year. Other than that I use Ivermectin every 4-5 weeks year round and Strongid, once in the early Spring and once in the late summer.

This has always worked well for me but will have a fecal done when the vet does spring check-ups.

Thanks for the warning and again my sympathy.

If I may ask, what was/is your usual schedule for de-worming?

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
It should be a wakeup call for all of us to do fecal checks regularly!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

How horribly sad. I understand the pain that you are feeling right now. You & "Sweet Dreams" will be in my prayers.

I'll pray that her sacrifice will serve to help save the lives of other precious little ones and that "Sweet Dreams" & Rock"It" play together forever in the fields of Heaven.

All my sympathies,

I feel your pain, so sorry.

I have had worm issues here also. Because all the horses are on dry lot my vet recommended daily wormer plus revolving wormers ever 8 weeks.

I am very sorry you had to find this out in such a hard and painful way.

It is not that the worms are becoming resistant.

All the rotating of de wormers in the world will not help if the dewormers you use do not kill the worms that are threatening your horses.

Fenbendazole five day is the ONLY dewormer that will get rid of all encysted small strongyles and I use this very Spring, in Feb- April, and Autumn in November.

There is no known, proven or reported resistance to Ivermectin (although I do believe that there was suspicion of such in a certain area of the states and I'm sorry I can't remember which part)

So I use Fenbendazole twice a year, Ivermectin in between and if I de Tape I do that after the November Fenbendazole. Ivermectin every 8 weeks in between.

Faecal tests on field samples as opposed to individuals once a year.

No worms, no resistance, no worm colic.

I learned this lesson as you did, once it has happened it does not get given a chance to happen again.

Once more I am so sorry- it was not your fault, you could only act on the information you were given, and had at the time no reason to believe this to be inaccurate.

Fizzy

I used to deworm with ivermecting only, every 6-8 weeks without rotation. That went on for about 3 years and then I had a colic. Fecal exam showed small strongyles by the dozens. So YES there can be resistance buildup if using only ivermectin products.

Thank you so much for sharing. We will benefit from your loss.
default_unsure.png
: You're in my prayers. Bless you.

Robin

That's heartwrenching, I'm SO sorry for your loss. But I thank you for sharing with us, that might save the lives of others. {{{Hugs}}}

Thank you so much for posting this. You really mat have saved lots of pain and lives with this. I am so sorry about your filly, my prayers are with you.

Ginny StP

What about daily de-wormers? I haven't used it before but some of the horses where I work do...would they help?

Thank you all for your support, It's been a very tough day. The barn is full of horses but still seems empty without my special little girl. I spent extra time with her friends, She was kept with 4 other little fillies. I have no doubt that horses kept together have a great bond they seemed to be looking for her today. For those of you that asked about what she was de-wormed with here is what she had, She was foaled 5-14-05 I de-wormed with safe-guard on 6-25, Ivercare 8-7, Strongyle care 10-1 and her last de-worming was Ivercare 12-12. I no doubt should have gotten a fecal within that time but didn't, This will not happen again. I talked to my vet this morning, She is going to let me know our game plan for the future. You bet regular fecals will be a priority! Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers, It is so comforting to have people like you to talk to, learn from and hopefully help.

My heart goes out to you, I lost a precious little one this past Sept. He too had been wormed on schedule and was the picture of health. I bought him from a wonderful lady who became an instant and forever friend, and have since bought 2 other minis from her, an 11 year old mare and a sweet little filly. I have

also purchased a colt from another farm.

When our colt started showing signs of not feeling well, I immediately called the vet...he had after all been wormed on a regular basis, alternating wormers, so I was stunned when the vet told me that it was worms.

He then started running a temp, he was becoming dehydrated and our vet put him on an I.V., my husband and I took turns sitting up with him all day and night. For almost 2 weeks, he would show signs of getting better and then he would take a bad turn. I had a wonderful vet who did everything he could think of...so when he recommend that I take him to Ohio State, I did. When I got there, they were wonderful, kind and loving with him. They ran a battery of tests and all turned out the same...I was told he has lost kidney function. As it turned out he was born with only one functioning kidney. The worms had caused such stress on his one functioning kidney that it had failed. They had tried several different treatments to get it functioning again but without success.

One of my fondest memories is how my little colt and I use to dance in the paddock...he was so loving and gentle. When I went into his stall for the last time at Ohio State, he placed his head on my shoulder and swayed as if he knew this would be our final dance. I told the vet okay and he drifted off peacefullyin my arms. I will always remember my little red colt, for now he dances with the angels.

I know how difficult this day has been for you, I know that there are still hard days ahead, but in time

your heart will start to heal and you will remember the happy times with your sweet little filly.

Thank you for sharing. I will keep you in my prayers.

Latest posts

Back