Worming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Are some of the deworming pastes too powerful for minis?

Some one told my cousin that and I wanted to know if there's any truth in that and if so which ones should not be used on minis and which ones can be used on minis?

Thankyou in advance.

On another board we where talking about this and they where saying to stay away from Quest to strong for Mini's so if someone could confirm this that would be great.

Also not to steal your thread but maybe this might help you also.

Can you power-pak a mini????

I agree, Quest. I have used to before, many years ago before I was informed.. only once though and the one mini I used it on was 'off' for several days.

Oh I can verify it, Quest paid for all my horse expenses AFTER loosing him by giving Quest.
default_no.gif

please read below: and you can go to our website, where we lossed Seahorse
default_bye-sad.gif

http://www.hometown.aol.com/kavelbelminis/InterestPage.html

http://equinenet.org/ernet/worms.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so NO to the Quest...

What about Ivercare, Iverease, Safeguard, and Equimax?

Quest has the chemical moxidectin. If it has moxidectin, don't use it. I remember seeing another dewormer that had moxidectin, but I can't remember which it was. We rotate the chemicals fenbendozole, pyrantal pamoate and ivermectin. You may want to check with your vet to see what they recommend for your area.

I hope this helps.

I use the generic brands just to be on the safe side. I'm told stuff like zimectrin can cause problems if you don't have the dosage right. But the generic stuff you can overdose a bit and your horse will be fine.
default_smile.png
I use Jeffer's and its very affordable.
default_smile.png

Quest or moxidectin is the only wormer that doesn't seem to have much of a "fudge factor". If you over dose even just a little with it, you can have a sick or dead mini.

I have a friend here in Oregon that had her vet worm her colt with it once when Quest was first introduced. The colt began having seizures soon after, went into a coma, and eventually died.

Our primary wormer is ivermectin......secondary brands that we use for rotation are Strongid, Panicure, and SafeGuard. They all have that "fudge factor".

We only use equimax during the winter months. dionne

Equimax is a great product. It is Ivermectin + Praziquantel, and gets rid of all the major parasites including tape worms. I dewormed with it this Spring
default_yes.gif

Thankyou for all the replies. I'm glad to know all of the wormers I use on my horses are safe for the minis.

All mine get the Strongid C daily wormer. I like doing that and then paste mine in the spring & fall. That way I don't get behind on my worming schedule. I have been REALLY happy with using the daily wormer! Everyone here gets fed individually.

Yes Melody also gets Strongid C daily wormer as well. I am pretty happy with it too
default_yes.gif

Jill,

That's why I chose Equimax per our previous conversation
default_wink.png

All mine get the Strongid C daily wormer. I like doing that and then paste mine in the spring & fall. That way I don't get behind on my worming schedule. I have been REALLY happy with using the daily wormer! Everyone here gets fed individually.

Just a couple of points

There is no differance in dosing safety between generics and brand names, they both have the same stuff, brand names tend to have more quality control.

Read your labels. Some of you think you are rotating but are actually using the same drug, just under a differant brand name!

Example 1, Panacur and Safegaurd contain the same drug

Example 2, Ivomec, ivermectin, iver ease, equimax, zimectrim, equell all have the same main drug though some now have added tapeworm drug also.

Don't just look at the package, read the ingredients!

Equimax is a great product. It is Ivermectin + Praziquantel, and gets rid of all the major parasites including tape worms. I dewormed with it this Spring
default_yes.gif
These products do not get impacted small strongyles, to get those you have to do the Fenbendazole five day.

By using Fenbendazole as a standalone worming product in a rotation you are leaving your horses wide open to a worm burden as Fenbendazole really is not strong enough to cope with most of the major worms.

It is of use only for foals, debilitated animals and as a five day course, please be warned.

Also rotating aimlessly between chemicals will not help, you need to use the right chemical at the right time to get specific worms, ie, Bot, Tapes, Encysteds etc, not just rotate through the spectrum hoping to get it right.

There is a whole lot of information on the "best of" Forum, you would be best advised to go there and read at your leisure.

Latest posts

Back