worming weanlings for tape worms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra dittus

Reaction score
At what age do you startworming weanlings for tape worms? I am giving them Strongid Pellets daily and alternate monthly with safe-guard paste or strongid paste. I alternate the older hores with equimax and jeffers .

This is just our worming schedule for weanlings..........

At about 2 months we worm with either Panacur or Safeguard, and at 4 months we add them into the same schedule as all the adults.....rotating between Ivomec and Strongid........usually it's the Ivomec.

We've had fecal tests done in the past and so far, so good.........

I deworm with Safeguard at two months, and like miniv, I start the foals on regular schedules like the adults at 4 months, but that schedule includes Zimectrin Gold when they are six months old. Once in the fall, and once in the spring.

I would be far more worried about Strongyles and Roundworms in weanlings than I would about Tapeworms.

If your mares are free of Tapes it is highly unlikely (virtually unknown) for a weanling to b affected.

Your whole herd would have to be riddled.

I would be looking at your whole worming "schedule" myself and doing something about encysted small strongyles and Roundworms, which will need a five day course of Fenbendazole to get really rid of them, and leave the Tapeworming til they are yearlings, or at least the next eight week rotation.

Again, I will warn, FENBENDAZOLE is NOT suitable to be used as a single dose wormer.......

I had a 6 month old client show filly require colic surgery right after the World show a few years ago. The surgeon determined it was caused by tapeworms. I now deworm all of my foals for tapeworms starting at 4 months of age.

Latest posts

Back