Worming my filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&H Miniatures

Reaction score
Millie is 11 weeks old now and I know I need to get her wormed. It is time for my mares and studs to be wormed too. This time it is Strongyle care for them. Would this be okay on Millie too, or should I get her some safeguard? Let me know please as I know I need to get her wormed.

Also, I am going to order them their west nile shots and give it to them. Some say not to use combination shots such as west nile with EWT. What are your opinions on that +/or experiences? Thanks and Godbless, Kristy

l_46b95ed816ffff071972717c2101ca83.jpg

Hi Millie,

I don't have any advice on the type of wormer for your baby, other than to suggest you ask your vet, because she's so young and babies often have specific types of worms that you want to target. I always went by weight and rotated the kinds of wormer based on my vet's advice for my adult horses, but I didn't get my baby until he was four months old, and he was a big boy (he's 36" now, full grown).

On the shots question, we've had good luck with the combination shots, but we never give the "flu and rhino" vaccine because they always seem to react to that. (If we were taking our horses to a big show, we'd give them the flu and rhino, by itself, a few weeks before the show.) So, every year our horses get a rabies shot and then a combo with EEE, WEE, WNV, and tetanus (EWT + WNV). Fewer needle sticks = good! The last couple of years I've been giving them banamine (half the recommended dose by weight, twice a day for 2 or 3 days) to avoid the stiffness and "lumps" they tend to get from their shots. My gelding didn't get any of those post-shot symptoms when he was younger though, so you may not have the problem with your little one.

What a beautiful baby, by the way! Congrats!

Lori

I recently dewormed my foals with Ivermectin.

Also, I used the combo WNV+EWT shot and a separate Rabies shot for my horses this year and many years in the past, too. But, for my pregnant mares, they got a 5-way pre foaling and a WNV and Rabies shot post foaling.

I would not vaccinate a foal until 6mos or weaning at the earliest.

Wouldn't hurt to get your vet's guidance on all these points.

We tend to give our foals either Safeguard or Panacur as their first wormer, and then Ivermectin as their second. The shots aren't given until around weaning time or at 6 months, as Jill stated.

We tend to give our foals either Safeguard or Panacur as their first wormer, and then Ivermectin as their second. The shots aren't given until around weaning time or at 6 months, as Jill stated.
Millie's dam and my other mares have never had any shots whatsoever. Would Millie still be okay to wait until she is 6 months old? I will be weaning her in between 4 and 5 months depending on if I can find and purchase a weaning mate. How much safeguard should I give her? She is about 25 inches. Let me know. Thanks and Godbless, Kristy

My vet said not to give Ivermectin until six months of age. Same for vaccines.

I always give the strongid or safeguard based on weight, but with the mini foals, I feel like that is practically NOTHING, so I'll be interested to hear how others dose it!

We dose the wormer as if they are 50 lbs......

We don't like vaccinating our foals at the same time as weaning because they are already under stress, so we do it a week or so after.......or as late as six months, depending on the mare's vaccination schedule. In other words, if we didn't vaccinate the mom a month or so prior to foaling, we vaccinate the foal earlier.

Everyone manages things a bit differently.

Latest posts

Back